The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lukejoshjedi

I've had that feeling about Fright night too, specifically cos of Colin Farell and his role what are you unsure about?

I was unsure because from the trailer it looked to me like it was trying to go for the Scream 4 meta-joke kind of thing, and that very seldom works out. As it turns out those fears were unfounded, because it doesn't try to be all that funny. It's got a really unbalanced feeling though, probably because the script isn't written at all well and the direction is non-existent, so the weaker actors look very bland while the pros like Farrell and Tennant (who seemed to be channelling David Bowie) tower above everything having fun. They're good to watch, and the action scenes are handled pretty well (and there's a lot of them that build), but it's by no means particularly memorable. The absolute best part is this cover that plays the credits out, it's amazing:

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I'm surprised by Bridesmaids. It's genuinely funny.

I'm afraid I have to be the one to disagree... just not my sort of thing!
Original post by TheLouisVuittonDon
Who else has seen Thor? It's the first time I have seen the actor Tom Hiddlestone (Loki) in anything, he was very impressive. I thought the film was great too.

It was not as good as Iron Man, and not as bad as X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Solid 7/10, Hemsworth, Hiddlestone and Hopkins were pretty much perfect in their roles, but as someone said, the plot wasn't that great. Good direction from Kenneth Branagh. He seemed like a weird choice at first, but he brought that air of gleeful hamminess that only a seasoned Shakespearean actor has, and it totally worked.

Anyway, anyone seen Midnight in Paris? Ebert called it 'charming' and I am inclined to agree. It's very light, dreamy and fun. It has an overarching 'message', but it's very, blatantly obvious from the outset and as such the film doesn't trouble itself too much with it, preferring snappy dialogue peppered with references to 1920's culture. It's been called a 'return to form' for Woody Allen (like every other semi-decent film he's made in the last ten years) but I'm not sure that's accurate; it's not really up there with Annie Hall, Manhattan, Hannah and Her Sisters, etc., but it is very good.

On an unrelated note, Priest really, really sucks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4083
Sarah's Key is bloody brilliant. And very interesting to watch a Holocaust film in which the persecution wasn't actually coming from the Nazis, but by the normal French police at the time.
Reply 4084
Original post by Abiraleft

Saw this news too. See here clip from ACTUAL Blu Ray.

I don't know what I was expecting, really. But I've cancelled my preorder. Why can we not just have the original original three on Blu Ray? :sad:

Other clips:

:wtf:

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Abiraleft

Original post by pinkpenguin
Saw this news too. See here clip from ACTUAL Blu Ray.

I don't know what I was expecting, really. But I've cancelled my preorder. Why can we not just have the original original three on Blu Ray? :sad:

:wtf:

He's also apparently added some more NOOOOOOOs to Vader in Jedi...

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sonny_J_D
He's also apparently added some more NOOOOOOOs to Vader in Jedi...

That was the one I tried to quote on the first video, but it came up with WOOooohooohoooHHOOOOO from Obi-Wan instead.

Will edit that.

But yeah, DISASTER. :emo:
Reply 4088
What the HELL? That Darth Vader NNNOOOOOOO is worse than Voldemort's NYYAAAAHHHHHH. :colonhash:
Odeon at 5pm. It's between (hurr hurr) Inbetweeners and Cowboys and Aliens. I think I might get outvoted.
Outvoted. :colonhash: For a person who has never watched the TV show, I still found Inbetweeners pretty enjoyable.
Reply 4091
Well, September is here. All the 'Oscar' films should start to come out from now. Summer is my least favourite time of the year for going to the cinema because I so rarely want to see the big blockbusters.

(Harry Potter doesn't count. :smug:)
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Outvoted. :colonhash: For a person who has never watched the TV show, I still found Inbetweeners pretty enjoyable.

Same - hadn't watched the show but went to see it because I was going with friends and found to my surprise it was actually a good film
September's looking alright for films, got some good flicks coming out. Especially Immortals which I and everyone else so need to see...

I'm thinking this December may be a bit lacklustre though, not really looking forward to anything apart from maybe Tin Tin
Colombiana is an awful lot of fun. It reminded me so much of Leon; an utterly preposterous plot, but played so straight that you just roll with it and it somehow pulls it off. It is written by Luc Besson, so I guess that's not a big surprise though.

Original post by aja89
Well, September is here. All the 'Oscar' films should start to come out from now. Summer is my least favourite time of the year for going to the cinema because I so rarely want to see the big blockbusters.

Any serious Oscar contender doesn't come out until November.
Original post by aja89

Same, not so much because I don't want to see them but especially this year I've just felt a bit let down by a few of them (most notably Cars 2 :mad:)

September's looking alright for films, got some good flicks coming out. Especially Immortals which I and everyone else so need to see...

I'm thinking this December may be a bit lacklustre though, not really looking forward to anything apart from maybe Tin Tin

:eek: Not even The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo???
Reply 4096
Technical question, but does anybody know the average video bitrate of a regular DVD?
Original post by cadaeibfeceh
Same, not so much because I don't want to see them but especially this year I've just felt a bit let down by a few of them (most notably Cars 2 :mad:)

:eek: Not even The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo???

Oh yea, that too. :biggrin: and Mission impossible ghost protocol... probably not 11.11.11, cos that film looks crappy
Original post by Phalanges
Colombiana is an awful lot of fun. It reminded me so much of Leon; an utterly preposterous plot, but played so straight that you just roll with it and it somehow pulls it off. It is written by Luc Besson, so I guess that's not a big surprise though.

I saw the trailer for that when I saw Rise of the Apes today. I was a bit sceptical at first, until I saw Luc Besson wrote it, so now I want to give it a go.
Reply 4099
I'm also looking forward to the coming months in movies; there are several that I'm really looking forward to. :biggrin: I did watch more summer blockbusters than I usually ever do, though.

Quick Reply

Latest