The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nightmare91
Well I've been told as long as you get an average score you'll be fine. The rest of the application (especially the interviews) are way more important. It is mainly used to differentiate between candidates that are very similar in all other aspects, e.g. interview performace and grades.
Maybe it depends on college, someone from Christ church told me that he had below average gcses but above average TSA and that's how he secured an interview, he stressed to ne to do well on it, also If you get below a certain score you are deselected from the process
Original post by tooambitious
Maybe it depends on college, someone from Christ church told me that he had below average gcses but above average TSA and that's how he secured an interview, he stressed to ne to do well on it, also If you get below a certain score you are deselected from the process

That is of course possible. But surely the better the score, the better your chances for an interview or offer. I just think some people stress too much about the TSA. It is important but if the rest of your application is good the TSA score doesn't have to be amazing :smile:
Original post by wachno
How much weight does oxford place on the tsa?

It is really important man I applied and did rubbish in it.. They use it as a cut off for interview so you need to do well in it
Original post by therockandsock
It is really important man I applied and did rubbish in it.. They use it as a cut off for interview so you need to do well in it

May I ask what score you got? Did you prepare for it? :smile:
What sort of things are people including in their personal statements?
Reply 2245
Original post by amar_duhra
Sounds really good! What did you get at AS and which subjects?

As in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics. Dropping Biology and taking FM AS this year.

You?
Original post by Mousebudden
What sort of things are people including in their personal statements?

A bit of economics, maybe? :tongue:
Original post by falcon pluse
IMO i'd say no , economics with the exception of Cambridge at most top unis will almost certanly have candidates will A* at gcse. Maths with eco will have some but not as many .

Just my opinion

How can it be "almost certain" and "just an opinion"?
Original post by -Illmatic-
A bit of economics, maybe? :tongue:

Damn! I forgot to write about that!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2249
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you know whether it matters doing 3 or 4 A-levels for econ at Cambridge? I did maths, physics, economics and further maths at AS and will drop further maths for this year. I heard that doing 4 is just for enjoyment but will it actually help?
Original post by Groat

Original post by Groat
Well it'd be nice to see how they rank candidates, how much weighting is placed on each component, and any other interesting bits of information you can offer! :colondollar:

It's difficult to say as it depends on college. Saying that I know a lot of people at Emmanuel but for reasons, that I'm sure you'll understand, I can't give you any insider knowledge :h:

I think the biggest discriminators may just be UMS and interview. Of course PS and GCSEs are also important and specific college requirements.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Groat

Original post by Groat
Of course, I understand. I was curious to see what information you could give, if any, anyway. :colondollar:

Let's hope I have what they're looking for!

Much of what I know, you either know or I've already commented on. What I do intend to do is however, visit the admissions office at my college and perhaps get some insight from them once I'm up there :h:

EDIT: why the neg :confused:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2252
Original post by Trizzle
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you know whether it matters doing 3 or 4 A-levels for econ at Cambridge? I did maths, physics, economics and further maths at AS and will drop further maths for this year. I heard that doing 4 is just for enjoyment but will it actually help?

Dropping further maths won't look good...
Reply 2253
Original post by StarChamber
Much of what I know, you wither know or I've already commented on. What I do intend to do is however, visit the admissions office at my college and perhaps get some insight from them once I'm up there :h:

Thank you for the help. :u:
Original post by DylanLJG
Damn! I forgot to right about that!

Lets hope you check your spelling as well before you send your application off! :tongue:
Original post by tehonlyone
Lets hope you check your spelling as well before you send your application off! :tongue:

I meant to do that :colondollar:
Is reading around the subject essential for economics?
Reply 2257
Original post by perrytheplatypus

I heard it isn't essential, but it doesn't hurt to read books regarding economics. :smile:
Reply 2258
Original post by Tateco
Dropping further maths won't look good...

Why not? I did get an A in it.
Reply 2259
Original post by perrytheplatypus

In general or in terms of application? :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending