The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6920
I was hoping someone could advise me which Uni's not to go for, basically this is me:
Gcse's- 5A*'s 7A's
UKCAT: VR-610 QR-660 AR-640 DA-740 Average: 662.5
Experience: 2 weeks radiology, 1 week opthalmology, 1 week GP, 1 week hematology, 2 weeks in India in various departments, EPQ-medically related, work in a hospice every sunday since february
Other PS details- Exec committee, prom co-organise
AS grades- AABB (Bio, Maths, Chem, Phy)
Targeted- AAA

Ask if there's anything else you need to know that would help? :smile:

I've sort of discarded all BMAT univeristies ; i resat a module in June so that cuts out the likes of nottingham etc.
Just hoping for some general advise of where to apply seeing as my ukcat isn't THAT high either!
I was looking at leeds, southampton and maybe manchester? Not sure about bristol? BSMS?
Reply 6921
Original post by a1994
I was hoping someone could advise me which Uni's not to go for, basically this is me:
Gcse's- 5A*'s 7A's
UKCAT: VR-610 QR-660 AR-640 DA-740 Average: 662.5
Experience: 2 weeks radiology, 1 week opthalmology, 1 week GP, 1 week hematology, 2 weeks in India in various departments, EPQ-medically related, work in a hospice every sunday since february
Other PS details- Exec committee, prom co-organise
AS grades- AABB (Bio, Maths, Chem, Phy)
Targeted- AAA

Ask if there's anything else you need to know that would help? :smile:

I've sort of discarded all BMAT univeristies ; i resat a module in June so that cuts out the likes of nottingham etc.
Just hoping for some general advise of where to apply seeing as my ukcat isn't THAT high either!
I was looking at leeds, southampton and maybe manchester? Not sure about bristol? BSMS?

Hey, I can't really help you because I'm kind of confused aswell, but just wondering if you've resat a module in June, you can't apply to Nottingham? Or is that just because you have to cash in your results so they'll know? Thanks.
Reply 6922
Wondering if someone could help me? With 5A*s and 5As at GCSE and an average ukcat score of 717.5 (vr 560 qr 700 ar 810 da 800) which unis do I have a higher chance of getting an interview or offer from? I'm already applying to Newcastle.
Then my choices are: Sheffield, Leicester, Nottingham, Southampton and Kings.

Any help would be much appreciated :smile:

Edit: considering my predictions, reference and ps are good.
(edited 12 years ago)
With a UKCAT at 712.5, where would be a good place to apply?
I'm not sure whether Sheffield is worth the gamble, seeing as last year cut-off was 717.5.
Original post by shakey1
Gcses - 6A* 1A 1B
UKCAT average - 620
AS grades - BIo A Chem A Maths A Psyc A
Predicted grades A*A*A
thinking of applying to bham, leicester, kings and leeds
Part of a programme which gives me increased consideration at kings leicester and leeds and i will not be able to meet the strict gcse requirements for bham uni

What do u thinkare my chances ?

Thank youu . :smile:

Hi, maybe reconsider King's with the UKCAT score, although they do operate on a sliding scale, so maybe check the admissions website. Have you thought about Keele, Liverpool, Bristol, Aberdeen? They are less UKCAT orientated, more likely to use them to differentiate between two similar candidates. Liverpool and Bristol are not part of the UKCAT consortium. Anyway good luck :smile:
Original post by Loulibelle
So... my grandpa had a heart attack for the second time this month the evening before my UKCAT...

Do you think UKCAT would let me sit it again this cycle?

I wouldn't mind paying again if I had to, but I can't help thinking it probably didn't do much for my score.

I had a similar problem, my dad drowned whilst on holiday (was rescusitated thank god) and had my ukcat the next week and didn't get the score I expected. Emailed them and they thought about it but said because there were a few days in between the two I could have rescheduled and so wasn't allowed any lenience.

However if you say it was the evening before you wouldn't have had time to reschedule, and either way it is always worth emailing them. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 6926
Hey, I'm doing the UKCAT on saturday and I'm so scared! I've been doing the practise tests online but I can only get a percentage from then, does anybody know what a good percentage is? Thanks
Reply 6927
Original post by shakey1

Original post by shakey1
Gcses - 6A* 1A 1B
UKCAT average - 620
AS grades - BIo A Chem A Maths A Psyc A
Predicted grades A*A*A
thinking of applying to bham, leicester, kings and leeds
Part of a programme which gives me increased consideration at kings leicester and leeds and i will not be able to meet the strict gcse requirements for bham uni

What do u thinkare my chances ?

Thank youu . :smile:

Hi, I would think you would have a good chance of getting into kings.
Reply 6928
You could also consider oxford and cambridge :smile:
Reply 6929
Original post by Sammy90
You could also consider oxford and cambridge :smile:

Realllly ?? :eek: :colondollar: :colondollar:
Reply 6930
just finished my first draft of personal statement.. it's a bit long (about 500 characters) so needs cutting down... is there anywhere on studentroom where i can post it for people to tell me what they thing?
Original post by l.a.s
just finished my first draft of personal statement.. it's a bit long (about 500 characters) so needs cutting down... is there anywhere on studentroom where i can post it for people to tell me what they thing?

Have a read here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/About_Personal_Statement_Help
Reply 6932
hi can someone tell me how leeds use the UKCAT, i have looked at the website but can not see where they say how they use it :smile:
thanks
Reply 6933
Original post by rsp
hi can someone tell me how leeds use the UKCAT, i have looked at the website but can not see where they say how they use it :smile:
thanks

If you get over 700, you gain 1 bonus point. If not, 0 bonus points. Thats about it. :smile:
Reply 6934
Hi

How much medical knowledge are you meant to know before you get into med school.
Original post by Vulpes
If you get over 700, you gain 1 bonus point. If not, 0 bonus points. Thats about it. :smile:

This is not wrong, their interview selection gives a maximum of 46 points and a 700 score cab give a bonus. But what people often overlook is that it is also stated on their website that they look at the ukcat in the later interview stages too. Whether they use it as a tiebreaker I don't know but people often forget this. It cant have loads of importance because I know a guy who got in with 620.
Reply 6936
Original post by Vulpes

Thanks , my UKCAT is on Tuesday i highly doubt i will get anywhere close to 700 . Would I have a reasonable chance of interview do you think with . 8 A*'s 5 A's (including maths) and As's of aaab and predicted A*AAb and Welsh Bac. ? with a half decent Ps. I am trying to look for unis I could consider if i mess up my UKCAT basically . :smile:
Reply 6937
Original post by rsp
Thanks , my UKCAT is on Tuesday i highly doubt i will get anywhere close to 700 . Would I have a reasonable chance of interview do you think with . 8 A*'s 5 A's (including maths) and As's of aaab and predicted A*AAb and Welsh Bac. ? with a half decent Ps. I am trying to look for unis I could consider if i mess up my UKCAT basically . :smile:

Yup. Your grades are pretty good :smile:
Reply 6938
Original post by Vulpes
Yup. Your grades are pretty good :smile:

okay thanks , i think if i do bad in UKCAT i will apply to Imperial, Leeds, Bristol and Liverpool are there any other Unis i could consider with rubbish UKCAT?
Reply 6939
Original post by rsp
okay thanks , i think if i do bad in UKCAT i will apply to Imperial, Leeds, Bristol and Liverpool are there any other Unis i could consider with rubbish UKCAT?

Keele, Birmingham

and I wouldn't call it "rubbish" =/

Latest

Trending

Trending