The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3320
Original post by joemullally
Haha yeah should be awesome for you.

:biggrin::biggrin:

You exited?

Excited about the whole UK experience in general :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Although I have to get used to the terminology =/
Original post by Vulpes
Excited about the whole UK experience in general :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Although I have to get used to the terminology =/

Which terminology

and I meant Excited not exited but you spotted that so it's ok :P

But yeah you'll love it, from the people I know who came here to do A levels, it can be very different from HK.
Reply 3322
Which terminology

and I meant Excited not exited but you spotted that so it's ok :P

But yeah you'll love it, from the people I know who came here to do A levels, it can be very different from HK.

I thought they meant food when they were talking about "pop tarts"... So I was like :confused::confused::confused: in the freshers fb group.
652.5 i think
Sheffield actually looks awesome for genetics
and it's the only place I can find that offers medical genetics as a 4 year course getting a masters at the end.
And apparently the nightlife is spot on.

Oh thats not as abad as I thought, I know it'll most likely go up, but still not as bad :smile: Hmmm I may look into it :smile:
Original post by Vulpes
I thought they meant food when they were talking about "pop tarts"... So I was like :confused::confused::confused: in the freshers fb group.

lol were you looking forward to getting a taste?

Original post by Quackers93
Oh thats not as abad as I thought, I know it'll most likely go up, but still not as bad :smile: Hmmm I may look into it :smile:

aye, it's in the applicants thread though I didn't double check I just know that they expect it to go up to abbout 660 665 ish/
Reply 3325
lol were you looking forward to getting a taste?

:frown: I was going all like, "FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDD!!!! OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM"

Original post by Vulpes
:frown: I was going all like, "FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDD!!!! OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM"

If I hadn't have been repping you like a dog loves jumbones in other threads I would deffinatley give you + rep for this post.
Reply 3327
I know! As if it's September! What the hell! I'll have my fingers crossed for you :biggrin: Let me know if the book is helpful please! I can't decide whether to get one or not. I was absolutely gutted this afternoon. I actually sat down, stared at the screen for half an hour blankly, had a brain wave for what to write, wrote a nice big long paragraph... and what happens but the stupid computer crashes and loses it all :frown: I was too pissed off to go back to it earlier but I might give it a go in a bit seeing as my little sister now has control of the TV so other than watch Peppa Pig and have my brain turn to mush, I might go do some :smile: Wish me luck! lol

I'll let you know as soon as I use it :P I've read through the first few pages and then made a patchwork owl... things are going well :wink:
Does anyone have a phone number to Newcastle medical school specifically?
All I could find was the general University enquiries which didn't help me much at all!
And apparently the nightlife is spot on.

Original post by Vulpes
Can't wait :tongue:

I'm going to barge in here since I was actually around for some of Sheffield uni's freshers things (my ex went there so I was there a bit towards the start of the year)

And seeing as my best mate was there and me and my ex got on from the new year onwards I've been to Sheffield a fair bit so might be able to talk about the nightlife a bit...

Vulpes. Sheffield is messy. You will love it :colone:

The union is HUGE and pretty awesome tbh :erm:

As for safety after a night out (if you're worried about that) I stayed out later than my mate who was 'looking after me' first time I went to sheffield and managed to walk back from centre of the city to his accom at the student village easily with no hassle. Only got lost once!

Vulpes you'll have a great time and I've not seen a SU with a better dubstep night (regained hearing about 5pm the next day properly but then again I did have to stand in front of the subwoofers...)
If you drink you'll love it! If you don't drink you won't have as much fun but you should still enjoy yourself :colone:
WARNING: THIS WILL BE A LONG POST (seriously i may have broken the record, some of you may hate me for all the the **** you wil have to cut through just to quote me.. but meh)

Original post by Jin3011
Congrats on your bio.
Did the uni's you contacted say it was ok that you're retaking only 1 module?
If so, which uni's:smile: I'm sort if in the same predicament as yourself.

Yeah Soton and peninsula said so long as it's just the one (they said A level btw so you can take as many modules withing that subject)
Liverpool and Lancaster basically said retake as many as you like (but achieve AAA) since your GCSEs give the maximum score so i'm pretty much sorted in terms of where to apply but not so sure about applying to both liverpool and lancaster when they are so similar..
How did you do? And where are you thinking of applying?

Original post by areyousure?
Where are you decided? I also have AAB :P but I have no idea which ones to choose...

Read above :tongue:
Try to email them individually and give them a short accurate picture of yourself (i gave A level grades and how many UMS i was off the next grade, UKCAT score - if applicable and mentioned i was working as a hca on a gap year) then ask some very blunt clear questions (that are specific to your own situation) and require straight-forward answers to save them sending you links to their website
Have you got an idea where you might apply though..?

Original post by laurenl93
Read the quote above about that :P

THAT IS BRILLINAT NEWS ABOUT THE BIO
Unis will like you soooooooooo much more that youve only got to resit one subject! Chemistrys a bastard anyway so just make sure you rape dat module :wink:
Got any ideas about which ones to apply to? 2/4 of mine youre allowed to be a resitter :wink:

God i havent talked to you in forever love?!

Isn't there a central recruitement office or something you can ring (perhaps the people you rang to confirm your interview) so that they can connect you to them
I'm sure they'll ring back anyways though..
Good luck again :rolleyes:

I will ensure i rape it bareback, back to front, side to side and call back in the morning :wink:
Really, which two are those because i've already decided on Liverpool, peninsula and soton (thinking lancaster as a 4th but not sure yet)..

I know right! My internet on my laptop was acctually being a b***** for the past few days on top of all the email drafting and research i was doing and TSR on bb is too slow (btw guys we really need a TSR blackberry app). But it's back now and so am i :biggrin:

Original post by twelve
Yayyyyy!!

Well done you :biggrin: Must be a weight off your mind! How've you been anyway? Feels like you've been gone for ages :frown: You belong on this thread :biggrin:

Feels good to know that it's one less subject to think about :rolleyes:
I've been okay, just doing alot of work and what i mentioned above happened so it's been up and down but I'm finally getting somewhere now
How about you?
Haha thanks. And i know :frown: this is thee best thread on TSR and all of you feel like family (i'd better stopp now before someone like futuredoc comes along and tells me to man up and stop being cheesy :P )

I agree we havent had enough karate kid gossip in ages :redface:

Plus i'm gna be gutted if ive told everyone bout my job interview and they don't want me :O bastards

But hey hopefully they prefer an 18 year old bum wiper to a 45 year old woman?!

Aw i need to try and make up for lost time now!
You'll get the job dw.
And i if it helps, if i was an 80 year old male patient, I know which one I'd prefer.. :sexface:
Hopefully your interviews will share this foresight lol

Original post by bertstare
what issues are these exactly?

Just all the talk of how competition will be worse this year with so many applicants reapplying from last year and so many people achieving A*s recurring..
I'm saying it's a risk applying as a resitter for 2012 because this year's competition is relatively unpredictably
Then some say it will be less because of the fees but tbh i i see the competition for medicine getting worse (although other courses may get better).
But i'm not too bothered about that, all i need is the one offer with a bit of luck..

YAY!. Which module do you have to retake?
I'm sure between the lot of us we'll remember enough if you need any help :biggrin:

Any idea's about where you're applying to?

I'll need to retake Unit 4 Chem in Jan because i got a 86/120 in this so there's more marks to pick up in a way.
Not sure if its worth retaking unit 5 (just to have a cheeky try for an A*) because it's 102/120 and I'm thinking how many more marks would I be able to improve by, realistically? So i'll decide about unit 5 in march.

Yes, I'll be bothering all of you about the exam when i come to revise for it especially some of you A-level-A*-whores (joe mullally and twelve in particular :tongue: )

I've decided soton, peninsula and liverpool definately. Maybe lancaster but want to wait and see 1st if i can get another uni to consider me cos it will feel like all my eggs are in one basket applying to both liverpool and lancaster..
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
WARNING: THIS WILL BE A LONG POST (seriously i may have broken the record)

Read above :tongue:
Try to email them individually and give them a short accurate picture of yourself (i gave A level grades and how many UMS i was off the next grade, UKCAT score - if applicable and mentioned i was working as a hca on a gap year) then ask some very blunt clear questions (that are specific to your own situation) and require straight-forward answers to save them sending you links to their website
Have you got an idea where you might apply though..?

Did Peninsula say they only allowed one A Level resit or that you need AAB but you could resit more than one subject :P because I am resitting 2 A Levels even though I have AAB.

I am just very confused with some unis because they change their policies every minute or something. I was thinking of going for Manchester but maybe they want A* in the subject you are retaking... never got told this in my email! Also Liverpool, Peninsula and either Lancaster/BSMS.

Their policies just confuse me a lot :P
Did Peninsula say they only allowed one A Level resit or that you need AAB but you could resit more than one subject :P because I am resitting 2 A Levels even though I have AAB.

I am just very confused with some unis because they change their policies every minute or something. I was thinking of going for Manchester but maybe they want A* in the subject you are retaking... never got told this in my email! Also Liverpool, Peninsula and either Lancaster/BSMS.

Their policies just confuse me a lot :P

Sorry just read the email again, soton say just the one (and they consider you as if you achieved that one grade in the same sitting) - except if you have ext circumstances (then you can retake more than one)
PCMD say AAB but you can retake more than one subject so you're fine for them

I wanted to apply to manchester originally (before results day) but decided it was too risky afterwards and their resit policy is kind of vague and i get different answers every time i email them.. idk

Lol this medicine whole application process is a risk in itself without all of the different policies, politics etc involved..
Sorry just read the email again, soton say just the one (and they consider you as if you achieved that one grade in the same sitting) - except if you have ext circumstances (then you can retake more than one)
PCMD say AAB but you can retake more than one subject so you're fine for them

I wanted to apply to manchester originally (before results day) but decided it was too risky afterwards and their resit policy is kind of vague and i get different answers every time i email them.. idk

Lol this medicine whole application process is a risk in itself without all of the different policies, politics etc involved..

Yeah so I will go for PCMD, not a big Soton fan :P

Just check manchester policies and they have changed it so I emailed them again... like 10th time this week ! Now they want A*AA and they said they only consider re sit applicant in exceptional circumstances! Have no idea what that means! but I still want to apply

Going for Liverpool for sure! Need to decide between BSMS and Lancaster unless Manchester says that I have no chances.

They should understant getting a place at medical school as a resit applicant is already difficult enough for them to confuse us with policies!
Yeah so I will go for PCMD, not a big Soton fan :P

Just check manchester policies and they have changed it so I emailed them again... like 10th time this week ! Now they want A*AA and they said they only consider re sit applicant in exceptional circumstances! Have no idea what that means! but I still want to apply

Going for Liverpool for sure! Need to decide between BSMS and Lancaster unless Manchester says that I have no chances.

They should understant getting a place at medical school as a resit applicant is already difficult enough for them to confuse us with policies!

Exactly this.

Good luck with your choices! Make 2 or 3 good ones then you can go for manchester as your riskier option if you really like it
A REALLY LONG POST

HAVENT TALKED TO YOU IN DONKEYS
How was your holiday? Hope it was fun :h:

Hey luv! Holiday was goooood, heatwave central! I'm certainly browner. I'm just working F/T and also taking Higher Chemistry for the first time at a local college! And I am **** at it, I can't remember basic standard grade/gcse level... I might be in for a shock. Some classes clash with work though, hopefully going to sort that out

Havn't started editing my Personal Statement too much, hope it won't be tooooo much work, need to contact my reference though.

Hows thing with you?
WARNING: THIS WILL BE A LONG POST (seriously i may have broken the record, some of you may hate me for all the the **** you wil have to cut through just to quote me.. but meh)

Spoiler

Pffft ***** please did you not see my mega quote on AS results day?

And besides... a user named lantana could teach you a fair bit about long posts :tongue:
x

x

Original post by Tinth
x

twelve
x

x

Original post by baztech
X

GOT THE HCA JOB :woo::woo::woo::woo::woo:

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
(i couldn't remember who had been asking about it so I thought i'd just tell most of you heheh)

Now i better start my personal statement eh? :curious:
Original post by baztech
Hey luv! Holiday was goooood, heatwave central! I'm certainly browner. I'm just working F/T and also taking Higher Chemistry for the first time at a local college! And I am **** at it, I can't remember basic standard grade/gcse level... I might be in for a shock. Some classes clash with work though, hopefully going to sort that out

Havn't started editing my Personal Statement too much, hope it won't be tooooo much work, need to contact my reference though.

Hows thing with you?

Awh that's great! I would love some warm weather, when I went to Kavos for a week I was always too gurgly and hungover to even know it was day time never mind appreciate warmth and sunniness :frown: Plus i only came back a teeny bit more brown and now i'm back to white... just how i like it :sexface:

Oh no you're working full time?! Awh man that's crazy, since i've got that job i told them i'd work PT + my 8.5 hours at the pharmacy so i know for a fact that addding the two jobs ill end up working full time hours :/ do you get taxed nuch?

I'm gna start editing now... really dont want to though 'cus i like a lot of my stuff that i had originally written :| But i'm just grateful i've already got the core PS done rather than starting from scratch like last year D:

Yeah chemistry can be such a bitch, it was the one i was most worried about being A or B on because the exams are just so **** :/
Reply 3339
GOT THE HCA JOB :woo::woo::woo::woo::woo:

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
(i couldn't remember who had been asking about it so I thought i'd just tell most of you heheh)

Now i better start my personal statement eh? :curious:

YAYYYYYY
well done :biggrin::biggrin:

When do you start?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending