The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5340
Original post by crazylemon
Not that much of a long shot :wink:
Why do you need it though?

Been pretty interested in one of the research projects available for ibsc! :beard:

It's looking in to a new way of processing x-rays which is based on x-ray refraction in addition to the normal way of attenuation... could greatly increase x-ray contrast resolution, and would be particularly useful for looking at fibrous tissues ie mammography...

the whole project looks really interesting, but the physics seems pretty nasty... when you look at the pictures, it's pretty obvious the new method is better:

(new method is top)

but they're trying to quantify the difference. In that paper I think someone has done a similar thing for a slightly older technology based on the same principles - I'm wondering if they show the derivations for their new definitions, as it may give me some idea of the kind of standard I'd need to be at for this project (pretty worried I'm not up to the job :frown:)
Original post by Blatant Troll
After some brief PubMed-ing, it seems there's some discussion on lap cholecystectomy and regional anaesthesia. Apparently not as uncommon as it once was wrt those with no contraindications for general anaesthesia (which would appear to be the case with this girl).

:holmes:

I haven't read anything, am now confused, do you mean CI for lapchloe or specifically for regional blockade with lapC as opposed to GA?

Also, on a tangent, the article implies it went wrong because o placement, but this sounds like haematoma?
Oh I know NI doesn't work how. But that is what it is supposed to be.

I am against most taxation. But NI, VAT, Income and CAP gains are the worse (In that order).
There are better ways of raising revenue. I would love to see an LVT come in.

I have no problem with educating people properly but carrot and stick with no ability to opt out is wrong in my opinion. Pooling risk totally and then telling people they are too high risk and must change without giving them the option to go, 'actually I want to live like this and I want to opt out of the system' is wrong.

What is LVT?

Pooling risk works on the principle that few people need very expesive treatments and most people need relatively cheap treatments that can be made cheaper through econmies of scale. If everyone needed ITU the system would break down. The NHS is in some ways far too good - as people get older, care is more expensive, tilting the balance - so we either have to make things cheaper, or look to limit the things that we do. If we could encourage people to take more of that responsibility, that would help.
It seems strange that in the SJT most of the points are for getting the middle answers in the right order. Surely if you know what is the best thing to do in the situation, in real life you would just do that? You wouldn't need to know what your second best option would be. Or are you meant to know that in case you can't carry out option one for some reason? I'm not a fan of the idea, or a particularly big fan of the white space questions. I agree that completely random allocation would probably be better. I quite like the idea of a national medical knowledge exam. I would probably do rubbish in it but I would like to know how I compare to people outside my university. But no-where seems keen for that, which is understandable because it would be quite hard to make an exam that isn't biased towards certain medical schools.
Original post by Wangers
I haven't read anything, am now confused, do you mean CI for lapchloe or specifically for regional blockade with lapC as opposed to GA?

Also, on a tangent, the article implies it went wrong because o placement, but this sounds like haematoma?

My bad, I mean the latter (alas, the tangent is beyond me)
Using an internet cafe is terrifyingly reminicsent of doing my exams. Scary stuff. Eastern Europe is nice.
Original post by lekky
blah

Aha! A mod to complain to...

Right so, this blindingly yellow background shabang on my homepage, when the hell will that be going away? :p:

No but seriously, yellow? Bright yellow? Really?
Original post by Medicine Man
Aha! A mod to complain to...

Right so, this blindingly yellow background shabang on my homepage, when the hell will that be going away? :p:

No but seriously, yellow? Bright yellow? Really?

When you sub :colone:
Original post by Becca-Sarah
When you sub :colone:

Haven't done so for a while. :o: The adverts aren't as distracting as they were in the past.
Original post by Mushi_master
Yeah it did help me - think I can remember upper limb anatomy better than almost anything else of years 1-2. Never used an anatomy colouring book myself btw.

King's admin is such a fail. Been sent the emails to select SSC's for Rotation 1 - I'll be in Chichester and only the London SSC's have been put up, useless.

I'll take some colours along then :tongue:
I know, their admin is literally SO bad. Whether it may be about exams, SSCs etc the list goes on...
I only got my 6th choice taught SSC which has an exam so I'm kind of dreading that this year! Serves me right for putting it down in the first place :redface:
Having just finished an essay about patient complience all I've managed to do is write 1500 words in how patients are morons but we must do our best to dispell all their asinine queeries and waste time not just treating them, but then convincing them that if they don't take their medication they *will* die.

I mean, I just read a paper where they had patients who refused HAART treatment for HIV/AIDS using the excuse they were going to overcome the disease with "strong will", "hardiness" and "inner strength". Are these people for real? Next they'll be swapping treatment for magic and fairy dust.
Original post by billet-doux
I'll take some colours along then :tongue:
I know, their admin is literally SO bad. Whether it may be about exams, SSCs etc the list goes on...
I only got my 6th choice taught SSC which has an exam so I'm kind of dreading that this year! Serves me right for putting it down in the first place :redface:

I ended up with my fifth choice (medical botany), which had an exam. Was a bit unsure at first but ended up really liking it and doing pretty well.
Original post by RollerBall
Having just finished an essay about patient complience all I've managed to do is write 1500 words in how patients are morons but we must do our best to dispell all their asinine queeries and waste time not just treating them, but then convincing them that if they don't take their medication they *will* die.

I mean, I just read a paper where they had patients who refused HAART treatment for HIV/AIDS using the excuse they were going to overcome the disease with "strong will", "hardiness" and "inner strength". Are these people for real? Next they'll be swapping treatment for magic and fairy dust.

I'd rather they tried to cure it with that than by raping 5 year old children (there is a widespread belief in southern Africa that you can get rid of HIV by having sex with a virgin).

I think it is inevitable we limit the system. We can't do everything without ramping up tax. I would not be surprised to see 2 tier healthcare opening up in the UK. It has been resisted but at some point the current model will be unsustainable.

Healthcare in this country has been two tier since the NHS's inception.

In any case, for what it's worth, there's a lot more we can with the current level of funding (not including the efficiency cuts) without raising additional taxes.
Reply 5354

Have you read Bad Science, Ben Goldacre's book?
Original post by Renal
Have you read Bad Science, Ben Goldacre's book?

No, I have not. Should I?
Reply 5356
No, I have not. Should I?
Definitely.

From memory, there's at least one chapter specifically about flogging alternative therapies to HIV/AIDS patients in Africa.

And the rest of it's pretty bloody interesting too.
Original post by Captain Crash
Healthcare in this country has been two tier since the NHS's inception.

In any case, for what it's worth, there's a lot more we can with the current level of funding (not including the efficiency cuts) without raising additional taxes.

There are many efficiencies to do with patients. Charging patients might not be such a bad idea - research shows that when you pay, you appreciate it more, and that expensive placebos are more effective than cheap ones. Besides, if patients paid for treatments, it might make them more likely to comply, and if they don't, they stop accumilating pills that are never taken.
Original post by Wangers
There are many efficiencies to do with patients. Charging patients might not be such a bad idea - research shows that when you pay, you appreciate it more, and that expensive placebos are more effective than cheap ones. Besides, if patients paid for treatments, it might make them more likely to comply, and if they don't, they stop accumilating pills that are never taken.

Sure, but patients have been paying for treatments anyway since prescription charges have been introduced. Also, the downsides of charging for treatments is that people may be put off accessing healthcare unnecessarily.
Reply 5359
Original post by Captain Crash
Sure, but patients have been paying for treatments anyway since prescription charges have been introduced. Also, the downsides of charging for treatments is that people may be put off accessing healthcare unnecessarily.
Most people don't need to pay for prescriptions though. A significant number of those with chronic illness are exempt (but not me! :angry:) and the rest will pay by subscription - I pay £108 a year if I take £3700 worth of tablets or not.

Latest

Trending

Trending