The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3340
Original post by laurenl93
GOT THE HCA JOB :woo::woo::woo::woo::woo:

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
(i couldn't remember who had been asking about it so I thought i'd just tell most of you heheh)

Now i better start my personal statement eh? :curious:

Well done!! Have fun wiping peoples bums :wink:
Original post by Tinth
Well done!! Have fun wiping peoples bums :wink:

I know, even more so since i'll be working on a geriatrics ward :wink:
lmao. Hope they're nice old ladies who just want to drink loads of tea with me :biggrin:
Original post by twelve
YAYYYYYY
well done :biggrin::biggrin:

When do you start?

Im not sure, i need to wait for a director from one of the hospitals to email me and propose me my working hours and if i dont want them then another director from another hospital can propose me different ones. It's all very exciting :biggrin:

Wanna be proper babied into my training though..
Reply 3342
I know, even more so since i'll be working on a geriatrics ward :wink:
lmao. Hope they're nice old ladies who just want to drink loads of tea with me :biggrin:

When I worked at the old peoples home there was an old man who used to hit on me all of the time, it was delightful:tongue:

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
(i couldn't remember who had been asking about it so I thought i'd just tell most of you heheh)

Woooo! Well done :biggrin: and OMG you've changed your picture! Wheres simon amstell in the bunny costume? :eek:
Awh that's great! I would love some warm weather, when I went to Kavos for a week I was always too gurgly and hungover to even know it was day time never mind appreciate warmth and sunniness :frown: Plus i only came back a teeny bit more brown and now i'm back to white... just how i like it :sexface:

Oh no you're working full time?! Awh man that's crazy, since i've got that job i told them i'd work PT + my 8.5 hours at the pharmacy so i know for a fact that addding the two jobs ill end up working full time hours :/ do you get taxed nuch?

I'm gna start editing now... really dont want to though 'cus i like a lot of my stuff that i had originally written :| But i'm just grateful i've already got the core PS done rather than starting from scratch like last year D:

Yeah chemistry can be such a bitch, it was the one i was most worried about being A or B on because the exams are just so **** :/

Congrats on the jobby btw :biggrin: xxx Beware it is a grind but also a valuable learning experience and you will meet lots of great folk both patients and people in the multidisiplinary team.

Not sure about tax, havn't started that long ago and it's monthly paid. Worked (including shift in few hours) last 9 out of 10 days, cannae be arsed!
Reply 3345
Hey guys, was just wondering if anyone here is starting biomedicine or pharmacy or another related course, but re-applying to medicine too? If so, how would you go about writing your personal statement? You'd need to explain why you chose to start another degree as opposed to taking a gap year right? Would be grateful for any advice, thanks :smile:
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
WARNING: THIS WILL BE A LONG POST (seriously i may have broken the record, some of you may hate me for all the the **** you wil have to cut through just to quote me.. but meh)

I'm sure we'll help you all we can.
I only missed hte A* in chem because of the last exam, you should go for it, take as many sittings for both modules as the'll let you.
If they're saying you can retake as many modules as you like in one A level then just go for it. That'l make you stress less in jan too because you know you can just resit, then you'll have some kind of A* zen stuff.
just sitting in the exam hall after beasting the paper in 10 minutes meditating or something, or redraffting your ps in your mind :P, that's what I did at the end of my BY5 :/

Original post by areyousure?
Yeah so I will go for PCMD, not a big Soton fan :P

Just check manchester policies and they have changed it so I emailed them again... like 10th time this week ! Now they want A*AA and they said they only consider re sit applicant in exceptional circumstances! Have no idea what that means! but I still want to apply

Going for Liverpool for sure! Need to decide between BSMS and Lancaster unless Manchester says that I have no chances.

They should understant getting a place at medical school as a resit applicant is already difficult enough for them to confuse us with policies!

Wouldn't it be awesome if FSKG, You and I all got PCMD interviews on the same day.

Tbf if anyone on here is applying to the same uni and they get same day interviews, they should meet up post interview and sample the night life?

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Legend.
About your tax query I get taxed monthly.
I'm at the bottom of band 2 and for my first month was on emergency tax (code started with OT)
Get them to change it as soon as possible. For my first 3 weeks pay packet I got 606 after tax.
Because they changed my tax code for the second pay packet I ended up paying minus tax (rebate) and got like 1200 overall.
It was a good day.
Your first payslip is a good feeling too, It's all NHS'y.

The pension you also have to "opt out" of and i think also union payments.
I'm gonna pay them after medschool but right now I need the beer money for uni :biggrin:

But seriously though well done about your job.
Your ps will be boss now.
Btw, has anyone ever actually tried applying to 5 medschools or do they just take it for granted?
I know i havn't tried it.
Tbh it's probably possible :P just a rumor made up by an applicant from yesteryear that got spread on places like here :P.
Original post by joemullally

Wouldn't it be awesome if FSKG, You and I all got PCMD interviews on the same day.

Tbf if anyone on here is applying to the same uni and they get same day interviews, they should meet up post interview and sample the night life?

Yes we should do that!! :biggrin: :biggrin: where else will you be applying?
Original post by areyousure?
Yes we should do that!! :biggrin: :biggrin: where else will you be applying?

Leeds, Barts and glasgow.

Also sheffield for med genetics. :biggrin:
Can I join reapplicants if I never applied last year but I'm a gapper and applying this year. Please :P.
Original post by Fizzingwhizbee
Can I join reapplicants if I never applied last year but I'm a gapper and applying this year. Please :P.

If you can pass the test . . . .

sure man, hop on in!

FizzingWhizbee's sounded awesome in harry potter, One night when the book came out at midnight they had a little jar of "fizzing whizbee's" in the bookshop.
one of the best nights of my 11 year old life so sure, hop on in.:biggrin:

What's your academics, ukcat and work ex like?
Reply 3352

Definitely.

Also, think I may have decided to definitely apply to Peninsula as well :biggrin: Don't know what made me decide it, but I've been looking for ages, and considering it. Thought I should probably just make up my mind, so there we go.

Applying for Leicester, Sheffield and Peninsula definitely. Anyone got any ideas where else I could apply? I can't narrow it down at all...
Original post by Fizzingwhizbee

Yeh lol the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned:smile:
Do UCL have any quirks in their admissions protocol? Such as Barts' (previous) UKCAT 700+, Birmingham and Cardiff's GCSEs etc.
Original post by twelve
Definitely.

Also, think I may have decided to definitely apply to Peninsula as well :biggrin: Don't know what made me decide it, but I've been looking for ages, and considering it. Thought I should probably just make up my mind, so there we go.

Applying for Leicester, Sheffield and Peninsula definitely. Anyone got any ideas where else I could apply? I can't narrow it down at all...

With your grades and UKCAT barts may be worth a good shout.
Reply 3356
With your grades and UKCAT barts may be worth a good shout.

How about Manchester
Original post by oldbatty
How about Manchester

I don't know how manchester select for interview, as of this year barts do it using a UKCAT cut off and UCAS tariff to select for interview and give offers solely on interview performance from there.

I don't know how it'd rate for Manchester tbh.
Check the applicants thread and wiki's ?
Reply 3358
I don't know how manchester select for interview, as of this year barts do it using a UKCAT cut off and UCAS tariff to select for interview and give offers solely on interview performance from there.

I don't know how it'd rate for Manchester tbh.
Check the applicants thread and wiki's ?

Joe I've just discovered you know the pros and cons of a 1NT opener!
Original post by oldbatty
Joe I've just discovered you know the pros and cons of a 1NT opener!

I prefer a weak nt to a strong nt even though both are limiting bids and you cant really say much afterwards.
but yeah, I play. lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending