The Student Room Group

Has anybody grown TALLER after going gym?

Basically I'm 16 and only 5 ft 7, I want to bulk up in the future and put on muscle but I'm not too fussed if I wait a few years, mainly because I really want to grow at least a few inches taller.
I know there is a lot of talk about whether weights stunt growth and to be honest I don't even want to get into that, but because of all the rumours etc I do worry about potentially not growing as much as I could if I put too much stress on my body.
So what I want to ask is, has anyone started going to the gym at around 16 or similar and actually gotten taller as a result? If so, what sort of excercises did you do? I ask because this has happened to a few of my friends but it could just have coincided with natural growth of course...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
you can still grow in height and experience the other changes that come with puberty while working out in the gym.
Original post by hellomoto170
Basically I'm 16 and only 5 ft 7, I want to bulk up in the future and put on muscle but I'm not too fussed if I wait a few years, mainly because I really want to grow at least a few inches taller.
I know there is a lot of talk about whether weights stunt growth and to be honest I don't even want to get into that, but because of all the rumours etc I do worry about potentially not growing as much as I could if I put too much stress on my body.
So what I want to ask is, has anyone started going to the gym at around 16 or similar and actually gotten taller as a result? If so, what sort of excercises did you do? I ask because this has happened to a few of my friends but it could just have coincided with natural growth of course...

I am 16 but 6ft, after going gym i drink Milk and sleep 13 hours. That should just about do it.
Reply 3
Original post by Pride
you can still grow in height and experience the other changes that come with puberty while working out in the gym.

I know, but I personally know people who have stopped growing at 17, some even younger and they regret doing weights because of that. One person even got a few centimetres shorter which he thinks is because he squatted such heavy weights. They look big but they're short, I really can't afford to do that at 5 ft 7!
It's bro-science type of thought that you won't get any taller by going to the gym........bunch of morons.....you'll be fine OP!
Reply 5
Don't worry about stunting your growth buddy, your heights pre determined by genetics, and lifting weights as long as your over 16, tends to help promote muscle growth. Just don't go mad, use correct technique to prevent injurys and you should be fine.
Most males tend to grow until 20-22.
Reply 6
Original post by boromir9111
It's bro-science type of thought that you won't get any taller by going to the gym........bunch of morons.....you'll be fine OP!

hmm fair enough, I guess it could just be one of those things that has been rumoured for so long that it has become almost considered to be fact by many people.

Original post by woody55
Don't worry about stunting your growth buddy, your heights pre determined by genetics, and lifting weights as long as your over 16, tends to help promote muscle growth. Just don't go mad, use correct technique to prevent injurys and you should be fine.
Most males tend to grow until 20-22.

thanks, and I know it's genetics, I just thought maybe for example when you do a squat or whatever, that puts pressure on your spine etc so it could compress your body, stunting growth. Of course if your technique is good and you don't go over the top you are probably right in that it will be avoided.
There is people who did not grow as much because of what they take at the gym which Arnold took. (can you name it? because i have a headake and i cant think of the name)

That chemical has been known to stop the growth of the bones.

Go n do some weights but take it easy, start light, and if you can do 6 with no struggle, next one up and repeat. Once you feel the weight, try to do 10. this is a rough guide but its harder to find your 1 rep max alone, find a Personal trainer (PT) and mention this is your first time and what is the ideal weight for you to start, if the person has time and personal opinion here, cleaver to do you a one rep max to find your heaviest weight, that will be great so you know what you can not lift without strain.

REMEMBER: Muscle rips, they repair slowly for beginers for weeks maybe so it can become stronger. If a ligament rips you done something wrong and that takes longer to heal. Dont worry though. TAKE IT EASY.

Youtube is good but some people who are body builders will show you their method but thats to get what he has and im sure your not up for looking like some MR MUSCLE OF THE WEEK at 16. Your PE teacher should be able to advice you too!
You should take into consideration Arnold was 6"1 before stepping foot into the gym at 13/14.

Dem German Genetics.
Reply 9
Original post by DeanK22
You should take into consideration Arnold was 6"1 before stepping foot into the gym at 13/14.

Dem German Genetics.

yeah umm that's great for him, but some of us are 16 and still 5 ft 7 lol! If I were anywhere near 6 ft I'd be at the gym right now...
Reply 10

I started going to the gym on and off since i was 16/17 .... back then i was like 5'4 ... i am now 19 and 5'11 (late bloomer - big time haha) .... going to the gym fairly regularly now. If you stick to proper form with weights your less likely to strain and cause injury that could lead to stunting.
Original post by DeanK22

Dem German Genetics.

source?

he's only 6 foot now so you saying he didn't grow past the age of 14?
Original post by SK-mar
I started going to the gym on and off since i was 16/17 .... back then i was like 5'4 ... i am now 19 and 5'11 (late bloomer - big time haha) .... going to the gym fairly regularly now. If you stick to proper form with weights your less likely to strain and cause injury that could lead to stunting.

wow, really? see, I was hoping to hear success stories such as yourself, people starting short and growing whilst going gym. Of course it's mainly genetics but still. Can I ask what sort of stuff you did at the gym, and was it strenuous? As in, did you push yourself or just did light weights?
Your best bet is to get some Kim Jong Il style shoes.
Reply 14
wow, really? see, I was hoping to hear success stories such as yourself, people starting short and growing whilst going gym. Of course it's mainly genetics but still. Can I ask what sort of stuff you did at the gym, and was it strenuous? As in, did you push yourself or just did light weights?

back then i pushed myself but would have spurts of like 2 weeks where i would hit the gym hard then a month off. but it continued like that. at the moment ive been hitting the gym hard for about 9 weeks which is a record for me. although yeh, that thought always lingers; whether gym will stunt your growth but it is mainly genetics. i can imagine that the gym 'can' stunt your growth it just depends on what you do and how your doing it.
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
source?

he's only 6 foot now so you saying he didn't grow past the age of 14?

It's in his book.
How tall are your parents please answer
Skmar how tall are your parents
Lifting weights wont make you short. It won't affect your height at all
I think i did. I started working out a few months before 16. I was 5'9, and my dad and mom are 5'8 and 5'2. Right now at almost 18 years old, I'm 6'0. I guess I'm the second tallest person in my family. When you work out, you release Human Growth Hormone which is not only important for muscle growth, but also for height growth.

Latest