The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2260
Original post by Trizzle
Why not? I did get an A in it.

Can't you keep it though? It would be useful if not for getting offers, by bettering your maths skills ahead of a tough quantitative course.
Reply 2261
Original post by Tateco
Can't you keep it though? It would be useful if not for getting offers, by bettering your maths skills ahead of a tough quantitative course.

Not really, the module I would do would either kill me (fp2, fp3, d2) or would just be applied modules (d2, m2, s2) since I did fp4 for AS. I don't think my skills would improve THAT much and I would have to self teach s2 :/ But won't they make an offer based on 4 subjects? Like A*AAA? I spoke to a 3rd year at the open day and she said if you don't do s2 it's no biggie.
Original post by Tateco
In general or in terms of application? :s-smilie:

In terms of application I guess >_>

I see myself being quite busy this year. I don't know if I'll have enough time for any light reading...
Original post by nightmare91
May I ask what score you got? Did you prepare for it? :smile:

Cant remember exactly but it was below average for the interview
I didnt prepare for it and my time ran out after i answered 40/50 questions
it is well hard
Reply 2264
Original post by perrytheplatypus
In terms of application I guess >_>

I see myself being quite busy this year. I don't know if I'll have enough time for any light reading...

I'll probably try read maybe one more book before Cambridge but other than that I think I'll research current economic events a lot and try and form an opinion on them. I think the interview is going to be more based around that than interrogating you on books (especially when the admissions tutors themselves may not have read them!)
Original post by Tateco
As in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics. Dropping Biology and taking FM AS this year.

You?

A's in Further Math, Chemistry, Math
B's in economics and physics
dropping physics
btw AS FM is not hard at all, i found FP1 easier than stats
Reply 2266
Original post by amar_duhra
A's in Further Math, Chemistry, Math
B's in economics and physics
dropping physics
btw AS FM is not hard at all, i found FP1 easier than stats

Nice combination :smile: I wish I took Physics or FM instead of Biology. I suppose the only saving grace of me taking biology was that I got a good score in it.

That's reassuring to hear thank you :smile: I'm a bit worried it will leave me with less time to focus on my other subjects but hopefully I'll be able to handle it and get an A!

Good luck with your UCAS :tongue:
Original post by therockandsock
Cant remember exactly but it was below average for the interview
I didnt prepare for it and my time ran out after i answered 40/50 questions
it is well hard

Oh I'm sorry mate :frown: It is not as easy as one might think. But I am going to prepare myself for the test. I think time management is the most important factor for the TSA. I've heard of many that didn't manage to get all questions done in time because they were focusing too long on some of the questions.
Original post by Tateco
I'll probably try read maybe one more book before Cambridge but other than that I think I'll research current economic events a lot and try and form an opinion on them. I think the interview is going to be more based around that than interrogating you on books (especially when the admissions tutors themselves may not have read them!)

May I ask how you keep up with current events? Are you a subscriber of 'The Economist' or do you read the Financial Times? Once a week I buy the Financial Times or the German equivilent over here but I'd like to have another good source. :u:
Original post by Tateco
Nice combination :smile: I wish I took Physics or FM instead of Biology. I suppose the only saving grace of me taking biology was that I got a good score in it.

That's reassuring to hear thank you :smile: I'm a bit worried it will leave me with less time to focus on my other subjects but hopefully I'll be able to handle it and get an A!

Good luck with your UCAS :tongue:

You'll be fine, and should get an A, good lukc with your UCAS aswell!
btw which units are you doing for further math?
Reply 2270
May I ask how you keep up with current events? Are you a subscriber of 'The Economist' or do you read the Financial Times? Once a week I buy the Financial Times or the German equivilent over here but I'd like to have another good source. :u:

I don't like The Economist, too much politics in it for me. I read a daily newspaper (varies from The Independent, The Times and The Guardian) and use BBC News as my main sources :smile: I don't think it's necessary to buy an economics focused magazine/newspaper.

You'll be fine, and should get an A, good lukc with your UCAS aswell!
btw which units are you doing for further math?

FP1, S2, D1 :smile:

cool :smile: i did FP1 , D1 and Numerical Methods..
i wish i got to do S2 instead of it
D1 isnt bad though, its boring but not hard :rolleyes:
Original post by Tateco
I don't like The Economist, too much politics in it for me. I read a daily newspaper (varies from The Independent, The Times and The Guardian) and use BBC News as my main sources :smile: I don't think it's necessary to buy an economics focused magazine/newspaper.

Same :tongue:

It's strange just how similar you appear to be to me...
I have a feeling if you get an offer, then so will I :biggrin:

So, some tea to you getting a offer :tee:
Original post by Tateco

Finally someone who agrees with me on The Economist. I also think it is too political plus some articles are very one-sided. But thanks, I'll have a look at BBC News :smile:
Reply 2274

cool :smile: i did FP1 , D1 and Numerical Methods..
i wish i got to do S2 instead of it
D1 isnt bad though, its boring but not hard :rolleyes:

That's good to hear :smile: I don't get any choice with my modules (so I think that's what I'll be doing :s-smilie:). Just glad I get to do S2 I suppose...

Finally someone who agrees with me on The Economist. I also think it is too political plus some articles are very one-sided. But thanks, I'll have a look at BBC News :smile:

Yes it is very biased too. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/economy/

Original post by perrytheplatypus
Same :tongue:

It's strange just how similar you appear to be to me...
I have a feeling if you get an offer, then so will I :biggrin:

So, some tea to you getting a offer :tee:

You, me, Groat and nightmare91 all seem pretty similar :holmes:

Maybe we can meet up and have tea once we get there :biggrin: (I don't like coffee)
Original post by Tateco

Yes it is very biased too. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/economy/

You, me, Groat and nightmare91 all seem pretty similar :holmes:

Maybe we can meet up and have tea once we get there :biggrin: (I don't like coffee)

Thanks for the link! And indeed, we all seem pretty similar. If we get accepted, we should definetely meet up for some coffee or tea :wink: Always wanted to visit Cambridge anyway :biggrin: TSR reunion :five:
Oh I'm sorry mate :frown: It is not as easy as one might think. But I am going to prepare myself for the test. I think time management is the most important factor for the TSA. I've heard of many that didn't manage to get all questions done in time because they were focusing too long on some of the questions.

Best advice I could give

For the harder Q's dont look for the right ans straight away
eliminate the wrong ones first
Hi guys so I got AAB Maths Econ Physics A2 thoughts on my choices.

First Southampton AAB Sheffield AAB RHUL ABB Sussex ABB And other any ideas ?
Reply 2278
Original post by boobooboob
Hi guys so I got AAB Maths Econ Physics A2 thoughts on my choices.

First Southampton AAB Sheffield AAB RHUL ABB Sussex ABB And other any ideas ?

Manchester? Also, hasn't Southampton gone up to AAA?
Original post by therockandsock
Best advice I could give

For the harder Q's dont look for the right ans straight away
eliminate the wrong ones first

Thanks for the advice, I'll remember it!

Latest

Trending

Trending