The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tateco
Manchester? Also, hasn't Southampton gone up to AAA?

I've heard lots of people saying that it will definitely go up to AAA but on ucas still AAB.
Reply 2281
Original post by boobooboob
I've heard lots of people saying that it will definitely go up to AAA but on ucas still AAB.

What about their website?
How much work have people done to their personal statements so far? I'm going to complete a first draft tonight.
Reply 2283
Original post by Acerbic
How much work have people done to their personal statements so far? I'm going to complete a first draft tonight.

I've finished mine after several drafts. However, everyone does it at different times so I wouldn't let it panic you at all, you've got loads of time so just take it slow and make sure you get it right. Also, the PS help service on here is really good, you should definitely use it when you are happy with it so you get the best possible advice. (Don't worry if it's really scrutinised, mine was and I'm very grateful for it, the PS I have now is a lot better than the first draft I uploaded)
Ive decided to take on Further Maths, signed up today :smile:
Reply 2285
Original post by Acerbic

Just starting really spent the whole day today trying to write an intro but everything seemed like its been done already hopefully I can finish a draft by the weekend.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2286
Do i stand a better chance getting into oxford or cambridge?

At GCSE I got 7.5 A* 2.5 A and 1 B (in art)
I got 4 A's at AS level
Maths 248
Geography 177
Economics 177
History 174

I'm continuing with all 4 subjects to A2.
My personal statement is pretty strong.
Just did a TSA paper and didnt do great.

Thanks guys
Reply 2287
Original post by Acerbic

I'd done a first and second draft before finishing for the summer....have no scrapped that and have a new 'first' draft coming along nicely today. Pretty happy as 25 minutes ago I'd written one sentence, I'm now over the character limit :rolleyes: though I'd prefer to write loads and cut the unnecessary waffle out than be struggling for things to write :biggrin:
Reply 2288
Original post by Tateco
I don't like The Economist, too much politics in it for me. I read a daily newspaper (varies from The Independent, The Times and The Guardian) and use BBC News as my main sources :smile: I don't think it's necessary to buy an economics focused magazine/newspaper.

FP1, S2, D1 :smile:

D1 is pretty simple in terms of what you learn, but the marking is extremely harsh. You need to show all of your working out correctly to attain full marks. Guess that's how I dropped a few in my exam this past session I think.

First post here :smile: Going to apply to Warwick, Bristol, Edinburgh, LSE and although undecided about my fifth choice, it may be Bath.

Subjects are:

Maths: A
Further Maths: A
History: A
Economics: A
English Literature: B

Taking them all to A2 apart from English. I only took it to improve my writing so I'm surprised I managed to get a B considering I hated Great Expectations..

Good luck with your applications everybody!
Reply 2289
Original post by wachno

I got 4 A's at AS level
Maths 248
Geography 177
Economics 177
History 174

Thanks guys

I'd say Oxford.
Reply 2290
Original post by Sanjay94
D1 is pretty simple in terms of what you learn, but the marking is extremely harsh. You need to show all of your working out correctly to attain full marks. Guess that's how I dropped a few in my exam this past session I think.

First post here :smile: Going to apply to Warwick, Bristol, Edinburgh, LSE and although undecided about my fifth choice, it may be Bath.

Subjects are:

Maths: A
Further Maths: A
History: A
Economics: A
English Literature: B

Taking them all to A2 apart from English. I only took it to improve my writing so I'm surprised I managed to get a B considering I hated Great Expectations..

Good luck with your applications everybody!

Nice choices! A bit different to everyone else in here, it's good to see some variety :h:

Good luck to you too! :smile:
Original post by wachno

I got 4 A's at AS level
Maths 248
Geography 177
Economics 177
History 174

Thanks guys

Well your GCSEs are average for E&M. A strong PS is always good, but the TSA will decide whether you'll get an interview or not, that is if you have a score below average you will not be invited. Cambridge will invite you as they invite like 90% of all candidates (correct me Tateco if I'm mistaken :wink:). So if you don't feel comfortable with the TSA that might be a problem. Despite all that, what course do you prefer? Would you rather do Economics and Management (first year is 50% management at least) or straight economics? That is an important factor as well :smile:
was just hoping for a bit of advice about wether or not i should bother applying to cambridge.

I am taking 4 a levels to a2; economics, geography, maths and further maths. This year i got an A* in maths at A2 level and also got 2 A's both 93% ums in geography and economics.

i dont want to go to a london uni, but am not sure with my gcse's (3A* 7A 1B 1C) whether i should apply or not. Should i focs more on others like; Warwick, Bath, exeter etc??

thanks in advance :smile: :smile: :smile:
Reply 2293
Original post by alexsmith_85
was just hoping for a bit of advice about wether or not i should bother applying to cambridge.

I am taking 4 a levels to a2; economics, geography, maths and further maths. This year i got an A* in maths at A2 level and also got 2 A's both 93% ums in geography and economics.

i dont want to go to a london uni, but am not sure with my gcse's (3A* 7A 1B 1C) whether i should apply or not. Should i focs more on others like; Warwick, Bath, exeter etc??

thanks in advance :smile: :smile: :smile:

You will have a good shot at Cambridge :smile: They don't place that much weighting on GCSEs and your UMS is good so go for it. But be warned, some colleges won't let you include the Maths A* in your offer so you may have to get A*AA in your remaining three subjects (which shouldn't be a problem judging by your UMS marks). Though, the best thing to do would be to contact the colleges your interested in via email and ask them what their policy is regarding early taking of A2 Maths :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2294
Original post by Tateco
You will have a good shot at Cambridge :smile: They don't care about GCSEs and your UMS is good so go for it. But be warned, some colleges won't let you include the Maths A* in your offer so you may have to get A*AA in your remaining three subjects (which shouldn't be a problem judging by your UMS marks). Though, the best thing to do would be to contact the colleges your interested in via email and ask them what their policy is regarding early taking of A2 Maths :smile:

woah woah woah, of course they care about GCSEs, whilst they are not the most important factor, they do take them into account. Whilst in this case, th candidates exceptional UMS will give them a very good chance, anyone with lower UMS wont stand much of a chance without a pretty decent track record (7 A*s)
Reply 2295
Original post by somaiyar
woah woah woah, of course they care about GCSEs, whilst they are not the most important factor, they do take them into account. Whilst in this case, th candidates exceptional UMS will give them a very good chance, anyone with lower UMS wont stand much of a chance without a pretty decent track record (7 A*s)

Post fixed :wink:
Reply 2296
Original post by Tateco
Post fixed :wink:

In your case, you are pretty much sorted with your high 90s UMS scores!
Reply 2297
Original post by somaiyar
In your case, you are pretty much sorted with your high 90s UMS scores!

I don't think I'm sorted at all but we'll see :tongue:
Went to the Southampton open day today. Surprised that the offer is increasing to AAA-AAB :eek3: The department seems quite chilled, though; had a chat with the admissions tutor and he seems to be a nice guy! Was expecting an automatic click with the uni, like it was meant for me: didnt happen- i'd happily put it as an insurance choice :smile:
Hey, this is my first post. I didn't realise there was a forum for people like me :biggrin:. I'm hoping to get into any of the following: UCL, LSE, Warwick or Durham + 1 that I haven't decided yet... I got 4 As in my June modules (AS student) and I also got As in 2 extra maths modules. Is there anyone here who's teaching themselves furthermaths here and also going to teach themselves S2~S4 prior to learning C3 and C4?

Latest

Trending

Trending