The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2300
Original post by miscellaneous123
Hey, this is my first post. I didn't realise there was a forum for people like me :biggrin:. I'm hoping to get into any of the following: UCL, LSE, Warwick or Durham + 1 that I haven't decided yet... I got 4 As in my June modules (AS student) and I also got As in 2 extra maths modules. Is there anyone here who's teaching themselves furthermaths here and also going to teach themselves S2~S4 prior to learning C3 and C4?

Welcome :smile: Nice choices, I'm also applying to your first three :smile:

I'm doing FM AS in Year 13 which will be partly self taught, but not going quite so far as to teaching S2, S3 and S4 :tongue:
Reply 2301
Original post by -Illmatic-
Went to the Southampton open day today. Surprised that the offer is increasing to AAA-AAB :eek3: The department seems quite chilled, though; had a chat with the admissions tutor and he seems to be a nice guy! Was expecting an automatic click with the uni, like it was meant for me: didnt happen- i'd happily put it as an insurance choice :smile:

That's a shame :/ It is hard to get a proper feel for the universities on such a short, sharp village when it's so busy!
Original post by Tateco
Welcome :smile: Nice choices, I'm also applying to your first three :smile:

I'm doing FM AS in Year 13 which will be partly self taught, but not going quite so far as to teaching S2, S3 and S4 :tongue:

ahh right, which modules are you teaching yourself?
Reply 2303
ahh right, which modules are you teaching yourself?

Well I'm doing it in school but not going to all of the lessons, so just bits of everything really :smile:
Are you and Groat friends? I don't really use the forum that much so sorry if it's a stupid question. I noticed that we are doing the exact same AS and a-levels lol. Seems that it's quite a common choice. I too wish that I hadn't taken Biology and did Furthermaths instead! What a waste of time it was...
Reply 2305
Are you and Groat friends? I don't really use the forum that much so sorry if it's a stupid question. I noticed that we are doing the exact same AS and a-levels lol. Seems that it's quite a common choice. I too wish that I hadn't taken Biology and did Furthermaths instead! What a waste of time it was...

Yeah, we're all friendly on this thread :u:

I think it is a common choice too, more among medicine applicants, what's done is done I guess :tongue: What were your UMS like?
I was also considering being a doctor too. I've got an average of 96 for the maths modules I did (5) and I got an average of 97 in economics and for chemistry I did terribly (85%) and for biology and got about 90% (which i'm dropping because it's such a boring subject). What are you thinking of doing after uni and where is your ideal place, Cambridge? Mine would be LSE lol haha
Original post by Tateco
Yeah, we're all friendly on this thread :u:

I think it is a common choice too, more among medicine applicants, what's done is done I guess :tongue: What were your UMS like?

What were your UMS like?
Original post by Tateco
That's a shame :/ It is hard to get a proper feel for the universities on such a short, sharp village when it's so busy!

Yeah exactly! Which is why i'm gonna apply for Soton anyway!
(edited 12 years ago)
Hey, this is my first post. I didn't realise there was a forum for people like me :biggrin:. I'm hoping to get into any of the following: UCL, LSE, Warwick or Durham + 1 that I haven't decided yet... I got 4 As in my June modules (AS student) and I also got As in 2 extra maths modules. Is there anyone here who's teaching themselves furthermaths here and also going to teach themselves S2~S4 prior to learning C3 and C4?

Yeah Im teaching myself, but only up to S3, only doing AS FM so don't need to go as far as S4 :smile:
Reply 2310
What were your UMS like?

I got 98% Maths, 96.5% Economics, 95% Biology, 91% Chemistry.

Ideal would be Cambridge but the way I'm applying means I will be really happy at any of my choices :smile: I want to go into something to do with Finance after university, you?

Yeah exactly! Which is why i'm gonna give Soton a chance (wow i sound like Soton wants/needs me rather than vice-versa :tongue: )

Aha, no you don't :tongue: We all have to make decisions in the end!
Original post by crazy1234
Yeah Im teaching myself, but only up to S3, only doing AS FM so don't need to go as far as S4 :smile:

Hey how are you finding the stats modules? Do you have someone helping you? I've started teaching myself S3 but some of the parts in S2 was a bit difficult to follow :mad:. I don't think it's even because I don't know C3 or C4 though....
Original post by Tateco
I got 98% Maths, 96.5% Economics, 95% Biology, 91% Chemistry.

Ideal would be Cambridge but the way I'm applying means I will be really happy at any of my choices :smile: I want to go into something to do with Finance after university, you?

ahh nice, that's really impressive! I think I might want to be like Tim Harford, an author, he makes economics so interesting :smile:. Something to do with Finance, does that mean INVESTMENT BANKING? hahah just kidding. I just want to focus on getting into uni first :colondollar:
Original post by Tateco

indeed :sadnod:
Reply 2314
ahh nice, that's really impressive! I think I might want to be like Tim Harford, an author, he makes economics so interesting :smile:. Something to do with Finance, does that mean INVESTMENT BANKING? hahah just kidding. I just want to focus on getting into uni first :colondollar:

His books are very good :smile:

Not necessarily, but it's an option I'm considering :tongue: But yeah, we can cross that bridge when we come to it :wink:
Hey how are you finding the stats modules? Do you have someone helping you? I've started teaching myself S3 but some of the parts in S2 was a bit difficult to follow :mad:. I don't think it's even because I don't know C3 or C4 though....

I've gone through S2 during the summer, I get what you mean the last chapter for S2 is crazy with hypothesis tests and stuff. I'm quite lucky though because I have a few friends at school who are also teaching it too themselves so we just help each other :smile: I'm not going to start learning S3 till Jan anyway, because apparently you can only sit in June...
Are you teaching yourself FP1 aswell?
Original post by crazy1234
I've gone through S2 during the summer, I get what you mean the last chapter for S2 is crazy with hypothesis tests and stuff. I'm quite lucky though because I have a few friends at school who are also teaching it too themselves so we just help each other :smile: I'm not going to start learning S3 till Jan anyway, because apparently you can only sit in June...
Are you teaching yourself FP1 aswell?

We actually did FP1 as one of our earlier modules as I am supposed to do Add maths (9 modules). The FP1 wasn't actually too bad and I found it to be the most interesting out of the lot haha (apart from the proof by induction which was a bitch for 10 weeks). Aww man! I wish I had friends teaching themselves S2... I'll just have to wait until I go back to school. I don't know if it's just me but the last chapter in the book feels like its been written with intent to weed out all the people trying to teach themselves :P
On a separate note, why is it such a sausage fest in here?! We need some more girls in here :sexface:

On a separate note, why is it such a sausage fest in here?! We need some more girls in here :sexface:

:rofl:

I don't think there were many in last year's thread either. Don't worry though, the courses tend to be about 50-50 :sexface:

True! What is the girls/boys ratio for economics anyway? I think if you really want many girls around you, you have to study something like English Literature :sexface:

Latest

Trending

Trending