The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2320
Original post by -Illmatic-
On a separate note, why is it such a sausage fest in here?! We need some more girls in here :sexface:

I know :s-smilie: Normally women are more consciencous so you would expect to see them in here! I haven't seen a single girl post in here yet :eek:

Original post by StarChamber
:rofl:

I don't think there were many in last year's thread either. Don't worry though, the courses tend to be about 50-50 :sexface:

:sexface:
Reply 2321
Original post by nightmare91
True! What is the girls/boys ratio for economics anyway? I think if you really want many girls around you, you have to study something like English Literature :sexface:

Psychology :tongue:

I don't think there were many in last year's thread either. Don't worry though, the courses tend to be about 50-50 :sexface:

Yeah I went to an econ talk today and it was pretty even. I also went to a politics and, surprisingly, there were A LOT of females :lolwut: guess they just lurve power :giggle:

True! What is the girls/boys ratio for economics anyway? I think if you really want many girls around you, you have to study something like English Literature :sexface:

:laugh: or art/drama

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by miscellaneous123
We actually did FP1 as one of our earlier modules as I am supposed to do Add maths (9 modules). The FP1 wasn't actually too bad and I found it to be the most interesting out of the lot haha (apart from the proof by induction which was a bitch for 10 weeks). Aww man! I wish I had friends teaching themselves S2... I'll just have to wait until I go back to school. I don't know if it's just me but the last chapter in the book feels like its been written with intent to weed out all the people trying to teach themselves :P

I look forward to teaching myself proof by induction then :smile: I think I felt the same way, literally went through the other chapters spending an hour maybe two on each one, then the last one I sat there for about an hour trying to work out what they had done in the examples. Once you get your head around it, it isn't that bad though :smile:
What unis would you recommend for someone like me. Grades are as follows:

2A*'s, 7 A's ,1 B at GCSE (****ing Design Tech. GRRRRR :mad:)

AS Levels:

Maths: C1 A (91%), C2 A (92%) and S1 A (89%) - A OVERALL
Economics: Unit 1 A (98% ) Unit 2 B (73%) - retaking Unit 2 as i was predicted similar to Unit 1 :s-smilie: - A OVERALL
English: Unit 1 A (89%), Unit B Coursework (78% - awful I know but I am probably dropping English) - A OVERALL

French: Unit 1 (81%), Unit B (70%) big shock as I was predicted 90%+ for each and am thus retaking - B OVERALL

Predicted A*A*A - A*AA

Also dunno what to drop, English or French?
Original post by Tateco
I know :s-smilie: Normally women are more consciencous so you would expect to see them in here! I haven't seen a single girl post in here yet :eek:

Its disappointing :sadnod: Lets hope for better during Late Sept/Early Oct :colone:
Reply 2326
Original post by Tateco
I'd say Oxford.

Well your GCSEs are average for E&M. A strong PS is always good, but the TSA will decide whether you'll get an interview or not, that is if you have a score below average you will not be invited. Cambridge will invite you as they invite like 90% of all candidates (correct me Tateco if I'm mistaken :wink:). So if you don't feel comfortable with the TSA that might be a problem. Despite all that, what course do you prefer? Would you rather do Economics and Management (first year is 50% management at least) or straight economics? That is an important factor as well :smile:

The thing is if i don't do well in the tsa i wont get an interview at oxford. However, as you say 90% of cambridge applicants get an interview, i would have a better chance of getting an interview at cambridge and the interview is a large factor i'm told.

Thanks for replying btw guys :smile:
Yeah I went to an econ talk today and it was pretty even. I also went to a politics and, surprisingly, there were A LOT of females :lolwut: guess they just lurve power :giggle:

Politics is popular among females because it involves a lot of talking and arguing, that's what the girls are best at :tongue:

:laugh: or art/drama

Problem is, they might think that you are a weirdo studying arts :tongue: But at least you would be surrounded by girls, and ONLY girls :biggrin:

Politics is popular among females because it involves a lot of talking and arguing, that's what the girls are best at :tongue:

:rofl: hmm that sounds about right :sexface:

nightmare91

Problem is, they might think that you are a weirdo studying arts :tongue: But at least you would be surrounded by girls, and ONLY girls :biggrin:

Exactly, it'd be worth the sacrifice :laugh:
(edited 12 years ago)

Yeah, but it might as well not be. Without being too rude, there wasn't much, er, 'talent', in my economics lectures. :no: :tongue:
Reply 2330
Original post by alex_hk90
Yeah, but it might as well not be. Without being too rude, there wasn't much, er, 'talent', in my economics lectures. :no: :tongue:

:sad:
Reply 2331
Original post by Tateco

Well the last time I looked I was a girl.....
Reply 2332
Original post by CloClo7
Well the last time I looked I was a girl.....

You don't have a gender symbol next to your username :colondollar:
Same sort of question....trying to work out which combination of economics courses to apply for - getting a lot of different feedback - CONFUSED!

At GCSE - 10A* (English Literature, English Language, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, French, Spanish, Geography, Music)

AS level Maths - 289/300 - A
A2 level Maths - 276/300 - A (with 86/100 in C3 and 100/100 in C4 so an A* overall for the A level)
AS level Economics - 200/200 - A
AS level English Literature - 200/200 - A
As level Critical Thinking - 198/200 - A

This year I'm taking AS and A2 Further Maths and A2 in English Literature and Economics....
No idea what my predictions are yetttt?

I've read the v comprehensive economics application thread about choosing your 5 universities.. Cambridge would be my 'bliss uni/course' and then thinking about applying to Warwick and Durham (A*AA typical offers) and maybe Birmingham (AAA) and Nottingham (AAAB) but being pulled in different directions?? Any advice?

oh yeah fairly confident with personal statement..
Reply 2334
Original post by jacquel1ne
Same sort of question....trying to work out which combination of economics courses to apply for - getting a lot of different feedback - CONFUSED!

At GCSE - 10A* (English Literature, English Language, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, French, Spanish, Geography, Music)

A2 level Maths - 276/300 - A (with 86/100 in C3 and 100/100 in C4 so an A* overall for the A level)

This year I'm taking AS and A2 Further Maths and A2 in English Literature and Economics....

I've read the v comprehensive economics application thread about choosing your 5 universities.. Cambridge would be my 'bliss uni/course' and then thinking about applying to Warwick and Durham (A*AA typical offers) and maybe Birmingham (AAA) and Nottingham (AAAB) but being pulled in different directions?? Any advice?

Looks like a good balanced set of choices to me. You could be very confident you are going to university with those choices (Btw Nottingham is going up to A*AA this year)

Which college at Cambridge? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Ahh not sure yet- have been told to steer clear of the most popular - King's, Queen's, Downing, Corpus Christi... but really not very sure maybe Peterhouse or Gonville and Caius.. failing that I might just go with an open application and see whoever will take me!!

yee I've been told to go a bit more aggressive with my choices but then again don't want to apply for five of the most most most competitive and end up without an offer anywhere!

Also... do you know what sort of UMS would be sensible for applying to Cambridge with?

Your grades and UMS are very good so that's a good set of choices, although you could perhaps apply to somewhere more competitive than Birmingham if you wanted to, I don't see it as too much of a risk given your grades.

Original post by alex_hk90

Ahh not sure yet- have been told to steer clear of the most popular - King's, Queen's, Downing, Corpus Christi... but really not very sure maybe Peterhouse or Gonville and Caius.. failing that I might just go with an open application and see whoever will take me!!

yee I've been told to go a bit more aggressive with my choices but then again don't want to apply for five of the most most most competitive and end up without an offer anywhere!

Also... do you know what sort of UMS would be sensible for applying to Cambridge with?

90+ UMS in every module is a good start. (1 or 2 80's is alright)
93+ average in your top 3 with 8 A*'s at GCSE gets you auto pooled

Didn't know Corpus was that popular for Economics?
EDIT: It had less than 27 applicants max the last 4 years, granted it only has 2-4 places a year but that's not too bad.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2338
Original post by Tateco
You don't have a gender symbol next to your username :colondollar:

Didn't even realise they existed til you mentioned it :colondollar:

Anyway, I am a girl, although not applying for economics :tongue: Though to be fair there was a lack of girls in all economics AND actuarial science talks I've been to...and the guys in the ActSci ones weren't exactly inspiring :rolleyes: not that I should be complaining, I have a future engineer :biggrin:
Original post by Psychotic546
Your grades and UMS are very good so that's a good set of choices, although you could perhaps apply to somewhere more competitive than Birmingham if you wanted to, I don't see it as too much of a risk given your grades.

Yeee besides LSE.. maybe UCL... I was thinking about bristol but lots of girls applying for 2011 had to wait until May to hear back from them even for a rejection and lots ended up wanting to accept offers and so retracted their Bristol application - don't really know what would happen this year?!?!

Latest

Trending

Trending