The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CloClo7
lack of girls in all economics AND actuarial science talks I've been to

Lack of girls?? ahhaha mannn econ is popular where I'm at
Original post by jacquel1ne
Yeee besides LSE.. maybe UCL... I was thinking about bristol but lots of girls applying for 2011 had to wait until May to hear back from them even for a rejection and lots ended up wanting to accept offers and so retracted their Bristol application - don't really know what would happen this year?!?!

Original post by CloClo7
Didn't even realise they existed til you mentioned it :colondollar:

Anyway, I am a girl, although not applying for economics :tongue: Though to be fair there was a lack of girls in all economics AND actuarial science talks I've been to...and the guys in the ActSci ones weren't exactly inspiring :rolleyes: not that I should be complaining, I have a future engineer :biggrin:

Without trying to sound too pervy...welcome, ladies.

:sexface:
Yeee besides LSE.. maybe UCL... I was thinking about bristol but lots of girls applying for 2011 had to wait until May to hear back from them even for a rejection and lots ended up wanting to accept offers and so retracted their Bristol application - don't really know what would happen this year?!?!

Why not LSE out of interest? Bristol I didn't even consider tbf so I'm not sure.

Original post by CloClo7
Didn't even realise they existed til you mentioned it :colondollar:

Anyway, I am a girl, although not applying for economics :tongue: Though to be fair there was a lack of girls in all economics AND actuarial science talks I've been to...and the guys in the ActSci ones weren't exactly inspiring :rolleyes: not that I should be complaining, I have a future engineer :biggrin:

Think Cambridge open day was about a 60:40 split, LSE was like 80:20 or something ridiculous.
Original post by Psychotic546
90+ UMS in every module is a good start. (1 or 2 80's is alright)
93+ average in your top 3 with 8 A*'s at GCSE gets you auto pooled

Didn't know Corpus was that popular for Economics?
EDIT: It had less than 27 applicants max the last 4 years, granted it only has 2-4 places a year but that's not too bad.

ahhhh ye got 89/100 in S1 and 86/100 in C3 - so should be okay other than that all over ninety. so that would leave 100%, 100% and 96%....

'auto pooled' do you mean like pooled for interview or what?? feeling under-informed here ahhaha

Yeah that did happen :afraid: I think i'd die from the suspense! Still consider it, though. Brizzle is an awesome uni :awesome:
Why not LSE out of interest? Bristol I didn't even consider tbf so I'm not sure.

it's a London thing I guess.. which is why I didn't automatically want to apply for UCL although the course seems right up my street. I live 25 mins away on the train from waterloo so could commute if i needed to but want to dodge the whole 'living at home while at uni' issue basically.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by -Illmatic-
Yeah that did happen :afraid: I think i'd die from the suspense! Still consider it, though. Brizzle is an awesome uni :awesome:

Yeeah I know! I went to an open day really loved it just don't want to waste an option if I ended up getting impatient!
Yeeah I know! I went to an open day really loved it just don't want to waste an option if I ended up getting impatient!

I dont think i'd ever withdraw my app :eek3: thats shtupid...if you waited 3/4/5 months you could wait another month or so :tongue:
Original post by alex_hk90
Yeah, but it might as well not be. Without being too rude, there wasn't much, er, 'talent', in my economics lectures. :no: :tongue:

This made my day :rofl:
Original post by -Illmatic-
I dont think i'd ever withdraw my app :eek3: thats shtupid...if you waited 3/4/5 months you could wait another month or so :tongue:

Yeah I agree... it would be a complete waste unless you already had an offer from your first choice and a suitable insurance.. then I guess it really wouldn't matter
ahhhh ye got 89/100 in S1 and 86/100 in C3 - so should be okay other than that all over ninety. so that would leave 100%, 100% and 96%....

'auto pooled' do you mean like pooled for interview or what?? feeling under-informed here ahhaha

Yeah that's fine :smile:
I presume you know what pooling is but I'll explain anyway. If the college you apply to has too many good applicants to places, then they'll pool you if they think you're Cambridge quality but they don't enough places to take you. Another college can then fish you from the pool and offer you a place. Auto pooling means that if you get rejected from your chosen college you have to pooled (you can't be out right rejected)

Yeah I agree... it would be a complete waste unless you already had an offer from your first choice and a suitable insurance.. then I guess it really wouldn't matter

True say, if that was the case, i'd understand :smile:
Yeah that's fine :smile:
I presume you know what pooling is but I'll explain anyway. If the college you apply to has too many good applicants to places, then they'll pool you if they think you're Cambridge quality but they don't enough places to take you. Another college can then fish you from the pool and offer you a place. Auto pooling means that if you get rejected from your chosen college you have to pooled (you can't be out right rejected)

Ahh okay yeah that makes sense.. I did know about the pooling system.. just didn't realise it was automatic if you had a certain ums score.! soundsss goood. thanks for explaining :smile:
Reply 2353
Ahh not sure yet- have been told to steer clear of the most popular - King's, Queen's, Downing, Corpus Christi... but really not very sure maybe Peterhouse or Gonville and Caius.. failing that I might just go with an open application and see whoever will take me!!

yee I've been told to go a bit more aggressive with my choices but then again don't want to apply for five of the most most most competitive and end up without an offer anywhere!

Also... do you know what sort of UMS would be sensible for applying to Cambridge with?

Your UMS are fine don't worry about that :smile:

And as long as you are happy to be at any of your choices that's all that matters.

Don't bother with an open application, they just randomly allocate you to a college and it's as if you have applied to that college, so you don't get to "see who will take you". You may as well choose a college even if it's for a trivial reason :smile:
Reply 2354
Ahh okay yeah that makes sense.. I did know about the pooling system.. just didn't realise it was automatic if you had a certain ums score.! soundsss goood. thanks for explaining :smile:

Yeah, I think it's 92%+ UMS avg. in top 3 and 7A* at GCSE. Although as someone has already said you will get pooled if they think you are good enough.
Reply 2355
Original post by nightmare91
This made my day :rofl:

The only bad thing about the BBC News Economy section for economic news is that it doesn't update very often :yawn:
Original post by Tateco
The only bad thing about the BBC News Economy section for economic news is that it doesn't update very often :yawn:

Yea I've seen that! But I must say I like their articles way more than other news websites. Another positive feature is that their articles are not too long either. Some articles in the Economist are way too long to read in my opinion. I want my news short and quickly :drool:
School is starting soon -_-
Reply 2358
Original post by Tateco
Yeah, I think it's 92%+ UMS avg. in top 3 and 7A* at GCSE. Although as someone has already said you will get pooled if they think you are good enough.

The admissions handbook states it's 92%+ in each of your top 3 AS-Levels, so with 100%, 100% and 90%, you won't get auto-pooled.

Just to clear that up. :u:
Reply 2359
Original post by nightmare91
True! What is the girls/boys ratio for economics anyway? I think if you really want many girls around you, you have to study something like English Literature :sexface:

:sexface:

I best reconsider my subject choice then.

Latest

Trending

Trending