The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheMagicMan
This is definitely true.

All I've mentioned is that I've qualified for two BMO2s which takes up about 10 words on my PS.

I do hope so. I got golds every year and did once qualify for the Intermediate Olympiad (BMO equivalent for when we were younger - in Year 10 if I recall correctly) but when I got my first shot at the Senior UKMT this year it was not my day - I got stumped after the first question (in retrospect it was ridiculously simple), and then half-way through almost fainted and couldn't concentrate for the rest of the paper (turned out I'd got food poisoning from a dodgy takeaway the night before :tongue:) - so I'm very much hoping they don't put too much emphasis on it. In my PS I mentioned how I did in my UKMTs but I mainly brought it up when I was discussing my interest in mathematics outside of lessons - and me taking these challenges because I enjoy looking at maths in different ways than it is simply in the A-level syllabus.
Reply 1101
Original post by hassi94
I do hope so. I got golds every year and did once qualify for the Intermediate Olympiad (BMO equivalent for when we were younger - in Year 10 if I recall correctly) but when I got my first shot at the Senior UKMT this year it was not my day - I got stumped after the first question (in retrospect it was ridiculously simple), and then half-way through almost fainted and couldn't concentrate for the rest of the paper (turned out I'd got food poisoning from a dodgy takeaway the night before :tongue:) - so I'm very much hoping they don't put too much emphasis on it. In my PS I mentioned how I did in my UKMTs but I mainly brought it up when I was discussing my interest in mathematics outside of lessons - and me taking these challenges because I enjoy looking at maths in different ways than it is simply in the A-level syllabus.

I'm applying to Oxford this year and I've done no Maths olympiads or challenges, I only became hooked on the subject this year if I'm honest, plus a lot of these things weren't on offer in my school.

I've finally decided which universities I'm applying for (I think)

Oxford (maybe Worcester?)
Warwick
Durham - Josephine Butler
Nottingham
Leeds/Manchester
Original post by hassi94

That is unfortunate :tongue:

Did school not let you do the smc earlier. I was told to do BMO1 in year 9 by my school (along with a couple of others). I only got 7 or so though.
That is unfortunate :tongue:

Did school not let you do the smc earlier. I was told to do BMO1 in year 9 by my school (along with a couple of others). I only got 7 or so though.

How did you get into BMO1 in Year 9!? That's amazing - you need a ridiculously high score in the SMC surely?

And no we were never given the option to do it early.
Original post by Jampolo
jayake's fat he sucks. hehe leave hassi he's safe :ninja:

if im silly and hassi is safe....your a snake! :colone:
This is definitely true.

All I've mentioned is that I've qualified for two BMO2s which takes up about 10 words on my PS.

:eek: You are a mathemagician.

Original post by hassi94

That's a little like me - got golds every time, merit in one of those Kangaroos, but then our teacher gave us half the time we were meant to get for the SMC last year :angry: . I managed a silver, but was hoping for BMO1.
Original post by anyone_can_fly

That's a little like me - got golds every time, merit in one of those Kangaroos, but then our teacher gave us half the time we were meant to get for the SMC last year :angry: . I managed a silver, but was hoping for BMO1.

Yep I also got silver and was hoping for BMO1... Guess you get unlucky sometimes :ashamed:
I only really got into maths a few months ago. Before then I hated the subject massively and wanted absolutely nothing to do with it. Since then, I've learned a lot of calculus over the Summer and stuff like that, and I found it really enjoyable (not to mention satisfying!).

I'm thinking of applying.
This is definitely true.

Yeah, its really hard to summarise the past few years of UKMT maths challenges and subsequent Olympiads lol. Like our school entered me into all three in year 8 and I got through to the Junior Olympiad and Kangaroo (intermediate) but flopped the SMC (bronze, in year 8 as you'd imagine lol). Thus, I can't exactly write, gold every single time. I had to settle with a pretty badly worded phrase involving the words "most" and "some" quite a bit. But, yeah its not important at all and most maths PS for Oxbridge on TSR's archive do not mention MCs.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ben-smith
If you want to do maths at uni, why aren't you doing further maths is the question you should be asking yourself

That is a good question but in year 11 when i was choosing my options i did get asked if i wanted to do maths at uni and therefore take FM, but back then i didnt seem all that interested in spending 3 years playing with numbers and algebra...now however...... :P
Original post by hassi94

:O Sorry you got ill thats very unfortunate :frown:

But yeah i linked it into enjoying the logical/practical side of maths, not just being given an equation to solve.... plus you got to miss lessons and they were kinda fun.... :P

:O I love that word!!!!! It should definately be in the dictionary..... :P
Original post by hassi94
How did you get into BMO1 in Year 9!? That's amazing - you need a ridiculously high score in the SMC surely?

And no we were never given the option to do it early.

I got 95.
I guess that a lot of people never even get the opportunity to do it at all, let alone do it so early, which I think is really unfortunate. The problem is of course that schools have to pay to enter students and most are unwilling to do so as they have tight budgets.

Now you're embarrassing me. :colondollar:
Original post by Reminisce
Yeah, its really hard to summarise the past few years of UKMT maths challenges and subsequent Olympiads lol. Like our school entered me into all three in year 8 and I got through to the Junior Olympiad and Kangaroo (intermediate) but flopped the SMC (bronze, in year 8 as you'd imagine lol). Thus, I can't exactly write, gold every single time. I had to settle with a pretty badly worded phrase involving the words "most" and "some" quite a bit. But, yeah its not important at all and most maths PS for Oxbridge on TSR's archive do not mention MCs.

Suggestion: something about Maths challenges...I got through to the follow on round twice (or whatever)

Yeah, I managed to get mine down to once sentence - basically keep trying and look at individual sections of your PS. My first drafts were way over but I spend a great deal of time focusing on condensing things down and rewording things without removing any content. That's the better thing to do rather than strike several points out.
Original post by Jampolo
jayake's fat he sucks. hehe leave hassi he's safe :ninja:

Decided on 5 options? :sexface:
Reply 1115
Original post by TheTallOne
Suggestion: something about Maths challenges...I got through to the follow on round twice (or whatever)

Yeah, I managed to get mine down to once sentence - basically keep trying and look at individual sections of your PS. My first drafts were way over but I spend a great deal of time focusing on condensing things down and rewording things without removing any content. That's the better thing to do rather than strike several points out.

In contrast to the above posts, I have actually mentioned the MCs in more detail, basically stating the main achievements.

Seeing as other applicants are only using ~1 line for it, is it recommended to shorten the MCs stuff on the PS?
Also applying for Maths 2012 entry

GCSE's: 1 (A*) 3 (A) 8 (B) 2 (C)

AS Level: Maths (A) Further Maths (A) Economics (C) Physics (D)

Universities I'm applying to:

Birmingham
Leeds
Aston
Reading
Liverpool
Original post by twig
In contrast to the above posts, I have actually mentioned the MCs in more detail, basically stating the main achievements.

Seeing as other applicants are only using ~1 line for it, is it recommended to shorten the MCs stuff on the PS?

I'm mentioning the MC in 2 or 3 sentences probably but never got past the first round that everyone did. I managed to get a gold and 2 silvers though so is it worth mentioning still?
I like the logical and problem solving side of maths so i thought i should put a bit of emphasis onto it....
Original post by postman pat
Also applying for Maths 2012 entry

GCSE's: 1 (A*) 3 (A) 8 (B) 2 (C)

AS Level: Maths (A) Further Maths (A) Economics (C) Physics (D)

Universities I'm applying to:

Birmingham
Leeds
Aston
Reading
Liverpool

I got pretty similar GCSEs to you (few more As than Bs) and got an A in maths and C in economics...AND am applying to liverpool and maybe leeds :biggrin: We're pretty similar really!! haha :tongue:
Plus postman pat is a great show!!! :tongue:
Original post by BeccaCath94
I'm mentioning the MC in 2 or 3 sentences probably but never got past the first round that everyone did. I managed to get a gold and 2 silvers though so is it worth mentioning still?
I like the logical and problem solving side of maths so i thought i should put a bit of emphasis onto it....

Don't worry that's fine it's worth mentioning :smile: A lot of applicants won't have any at all, and these people who are getting into BMO2 etc are certainly not the rule and are quite the exception.

My one claim is qualifying for the Intermediate Maths challenge in Year 10 which was only open to the top 500 scorers of the MC :biggrin:

Latest