The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2360
Original post by Groat
:sexface:

I best reconsider my subject choice then.

Hey Groat, do you know whether they'll count my A2 Maths in my top 3 subjects? I.e. AS Maths, A2 Maths and AS Econ. Or will they take my 3AS subjects as the top 3 (and leave out my A2 in the averages)?
Reply 2361
Original post by zxh800
Hey Groat, do you know whether they'll count my A2 Maths in my top 3 subjects? I.e. AS Maths, A2 Maths and AS Econ. Or will they take my 3AS subjects as the top 3 (and leave out my A2 in the averages)?

Are we talking of Cambridge, here?

I hear that they use Maths as a collective subject in the top three (Unless you're only taking Maths, Further Maths and Economics).

I believe my average will be: Maths (all of my modules), English Literature and Economics. So, by that logic: Maths, Economics + One more? :s-smilie:

Although I think that sort of thing only matters for the auto-pooling criteria, which you should be wanting to bypass anyway!

Which college are you applying to? It may be worth emailing them.
Original post by zxh800

Original post by Groat

I hear that they use Maths as a collective subject in the top three (Unless you're only taking Maths, Further Maths and Economics).

I believe my average will be: Maths (all of my modules), English Literature and Economics. So, by that logic: Maths, Economics + One more? :s-smilie:

Although I think that sort of thing only matters for the auto-pooling criteria, which you should be wanting to bypass anyway!

Groat's right I believe. They do include A2 Maths. You're applying Churchill right? - they love a bit of Maths :sexface:
Reply 2363
Original post by StarChamber
Groat's right I believe. They do include A2 Maths. You're applying Churchill right? - they love a bit of Maths :sexface:

I'm so glad I didn't fluff up D1, else my average could've taken a huge hit.

-Shakes fist at M1- :rant:
Original post by Groat
I'm so glad I didn't fluff up D1, else my average could've taken a huge hit.

-Shakes fist at M1- :rant:

I think they simply like to see an applicant excel at Maths. Good scores in stats and core are a plus. You'll be fine :h:

Original post by alex_hk90
Yeah, but it might as well not be. Without being too rude, there wasn't much, er, 'talent', in my economics lectures. :no: :tongue:

Ah well :sad:
Reply 2365
I think they simply like to see an applicant excel at Maths. Good scores in stats and core are a plus. You'll be fine :h:

Yeah, I'm sure doing Further Maths will look good. I'll make sure to write down that I've chosen to do FP3 to challenge myself in the SAQ. :sexface:
Reply 2366
Original post by Groat
The admissions handbook states it's 92%+ in each of your top 3 AS-Levels, so with 100%, 100% and 90%, you won't get auto-pooled.

Just to clear that up. :u:

Oooh I didn't know that, not that I'll get auto-pooled anyway because of GCSEs :facepalm:
Reply 2367
Original post by Tateco
Oooh I didn't know that, not that I'll get auto-pooled anyway because of GCSEs :facepalm:

I can't remember what was motivating me to do well at GCSEs. :s-smilie:
Reply 2368
Original post by Groat
I can't remember what was motivating me to do well at GCSEs. :s-smilie:

If it wasn't for coursework in R.S., Geography and English Language I would have done so much better :rant:. Oh well, it's all in the past now :mad:
Reply 2369
Original post by Tateco
If it wasn't for coursework in R.S., Geography and English Language I would have done so much better :rant:. Oh well, it's all in the past now :mad:

I feel I have avenged the English Literature gods now. But Food and Nutrition can just jog on. :colondollar:
Reply 2370
Original post by Groat
I feel I have avenged the English Literature gods now. But Food and Nutrition can just jog on. :colondollar:

There's an Econ Cambridge applicant with 100% in Economics and Lit AS :holmes:
Reply 2371
So, what is everyone's favourite food?
Reply 2372
Original post by jacquel1ne
Ahh not sure yet- have been told to steer clear of the most popular - King's, Queen's, Downing, Corpus Christi... but really not very sure maybe Peterhouse or Gonville and Caius.. failing that I might just go with an open application and see whoever will take me!!

yee I've been told to go a bit more aggressive with my choices but then again don't want to apply for five of the most most most competitive and end up without an offer anywhere!

Also... do you know what sort of UMS would be sensible for applying to Cambridge with?

Making an open application is silly. You'll get put into a college which is undersubscribed, so there's not really a random element.

Gonville and Caius takes a good number of Economics applicants. With your UMS, you could go to an interview with confidence. :u:
Original post by Groat
The admissions handbook states it's 92%+ in each of your top 3 AS-Levels, so with 100%, 100% and 90%, you won't get auto-pooled.

Just to clear that up. :u:

Where are you getting this from? Is it in the prospectus?
Reply 2374
Original post by Groat

I'm sure they'll look at holistically it's just that I'm worried my History marks will let me down (88 in both modules) :frown:. And yes, at the moment I'm thinking of Churchill. I've e-mailed admissions but I've not recieved a clear answer. Oh well, I'll just have to focus on the interview.
Original post by Tateco

um...I like cheesecake >_>

When I was young, I used to think it was a sponge cake with a slab of chedder on top :lolwut:
Reply 2376
Original post by perrytheplatypus

It's somewhere in one of the appendices, I believe.
Asides from Oxbridge, LSE and the other top 5 unis, how much is further maths recommended and is it needed in the degree itself where there are math elements?

Original post by Tateco

Have no favs, just have ridiculous craves xD

Right now, I could do with Roast potatoes and chicken.
Original post by zxh800

Original post by zxh800
I'm sure they'll look at holistically it's just that I'm worried my History marks will let me down (88 in both modules) :frown:. And yes, at the moment I'm thinking of Churchill. I've e-mailed admissions but I've not recieved a clear answer. Oh well, I'll just have to focus on the interview.

What's your average over 4, 3 best subjects and 3 excluding A2 maths? I don't think they'll mind hugely about the History marks to be honest, and as long as your other scores are high, it should cancel out :smile:
Reply 2379
Original post by perrytheplatypus

Pretty sure he's read everything relating to Cambridge admissions so don't count on it :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending