The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by abc_1234
Haha that's awesome! I bet you look hot now :awesome:

xD

I lost 4 of them and Im back to normal with almost only muscle.
However I havent eaten any toasties since those 3 months XDDD
Original post by Abara
**** yeah...

But when you start the toasties and my flat just got ours, you CAN NOT STOP.

It was so addicting xD

Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY A GEORGE FOREMAN. Everything you normally eat cold suddenly becomes grilled. I get through bacon by the ton now.
Reply 22
I gained 5-6kg in 2 months when i first started the gym, but i started at 54kg bodyweight so i just ate more and it piled on fairly easy. I'm at the high 60's atm with around 10% bodyfat
Original post by a_t
No one gains 5kg a month unless its nearly all fat, wtf

This. Max muscle you'rse going to put on in a month? 3-4 pounds? lol!!

But if you don't mind it being fat just eat anything!
Move to America
Original post by Sir Lagsalot
Move to America

Or just stay in the UK and adopt an American diet?
Reply 26
Original post by Abara
xD

I lost 4 of them and Im back to normal with almost only muscle.
However I havent eaten any toasties since those 3 months XDDD

Ah cool. I put on 2kgs of pure fat over the summer :colondollar: (damn pizza!)
Reply 27
Original post by Gallium
I gained 5-6kg in 2 months when i first started the gym, but i started at 54kg bodyweight so i just ate more and it piled on fairly easy. I'm at the high 60's atm with around 10% bodyfat

54kgs :redface: How tall were you?
Reply 28
54kgs :redface: How tall were you?

5ft 8 maybe 9 now, but yhh 4-5 months of training and i've gained 15kg, some is fat ofc but i still have visible abs. Planning to bulk to 80 kg hopefully i hit it by next may
Go to KFC at the start of the month, and never leave. The colonel will help you with all your weight-gain fantasies.
Reply 30
Original post by Gallium
5ft 8 maybe 9 now, but yhh 4-5 months of training and i've gained 15kg, some is fat ofc but i still have visible abs. Planning to bulk to 80 kg hopefully i hit it by next may

Well done bro, keep it up.

I'm 57 kgs and only 5'6 so I feel a little heavy :tongue: (I don't go gym)
Reply 31
Well done bro, keep it up.

I'm 57 kgs and only 5'6 so I feel a little heavy :tongue: (I don't go gym)

Really? i'm about 57kg and about 5'7 and i think (well i know ) i'm underweight.

How can you feel heavy? xD
Reply 32
Original post by Tommyjw
Really? i'm about 57kg and about 5'7 and i think (well i know ) i'm underweight.

How can you feel heavy? xD

Dude. That can't be underweight http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx

I reckon you're at a healthy weight. I am too but I gained like 4 kgs in a little over a month so naturally I'm not used to it yet xD
Original post by c-hris
will weight gaining protein shakes help me achieve this together with muscle mass?

I managed a good 3kg in a week of DofE.
This was by a high carb diet of pasta and rice, combined with not going for a poo.
Needless to say it only took about 2 minutes to lose it.
Reply 34
Personally I don't see how you would need to make to much of an effort. I'd don't weigh myself often but find I fluctuate anywhere between 12 and a half and 13 stone.
Original post by a_t
No one gains 5kg a month unless its nearly all fat, wtf

Incorrect/wrong.

In fact as a young male novice on a decent strength training programme, WITHOUT the support coming from an optimal dietary regime, "5kgs" (of lean body mass, I should add) a month is piss standard.

If I were an untrained, deconditioned novice strength trainee (which I have been), I'd aim for at least 4lbs per week with a flawless training programme + a more than adequate diet (which I have done).

While you won't be receiving any scientific data behind these statements, becuase it just isn't worth neither my nor your time, I'm sure the internet will refute, with it's abundant collection of silly bull****. I've merely had the fortune of experiencing and understanding the effects of effectual strength training.

So, OP, if you want to gain 5kgs of bodyweight a month, you should be aware that if the majority isn't comprised of muscle, bone, sinew and nerve (or collectively fat-free mass), you're doing it wrong.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by Widowmaker

In fact as a young male novice on a decent strength training programme, WITHOUT the support coming from an optimal dietary regime, "5kgs" (of lean body mass, I should add) a month is piss standard.

I assume by "decent strength training programme " you mean using steroids? No one gains 5 kg of muscle in a month naturally. Having said that, not even people on steroids gain 5 kg of muscle a month, and they lose about 50% of their gains afterwards...

I've merely had the fortune of experiencing and understanding the effects of effectual strength training.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I though strength training was supposed to target strength, not muscle gain? Obviously there's some overlap, but for gaining muscle it's more of a 3 x 12 hypertrophy plan than a 5 x 5 strength plan.

Ok, anyway, now back to the OP.

1) Work out your protein requirement (1 - 1.2g of protein per pound body mass). If your diet is right you may not need protein shakes, but it depends.

2) Make sure you eat plenty. Your body needs energy to build muscle

3) Get some creatine. It helps with training a lot, and is bloody cheap. Don't be too happy with the weight gains you make in the first few days, it's just extra water weight (creatine makes your muscles hold more water - which also makes them appear bigger :biggrin: ).

4) Work out a decent 3 day split 3 x 12 plan. Day 1 chest + triceps, Day 2 Back + Biceps, Day 3 Legs.

Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 37
Original post by c-hris
will weight gaining protein shakes help me achieve this together with muscle mass?

Protein shakes by themselves are low in calories, if you want to bulk throw the protein in an pint of milk with 100g oats. Better and cheaper than buying weight gain powders which are just packed with dextrose.
Original post by JLB
I assume by "decent strength training programme " you mean using steroids? No one gains 5 kg of muscle in a month naturally. Having said that, not even people on steroids gain 5 kg of muscle a month, and they lose about 50% of their gains afterwards...

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I though strength training was supposed to target strength, not muscle gain? Obviously there's some overlap, but for gaining muscle it's more of a 3 x 12 hypertrophy plan than a 5 x 5 strength plan.

Please excuse my passive aggression, but here is an ellipsis that describes how I responded to your post:

"..."

Steroids? Naturally? I hesistate to even respond to this. No idea where to start... but since I'm so passionate about exercise physiology, and I know you're likely to be just a college student, I will be lenient and respond.

"I assume by "decent strength training programme " you mean using steroids?"

I mean a training programme involving the basical barbell movements including full squats, deadlifts, pulls, and pressing exercises.

"No one gains 5 kg of muscle in a month naturally"

This statement is incorrect and deferres to your preconceived, and naive perception of muscular development. Again, I know you're a college student so I'm more than certain your credentials stretch no further than what google has told you (silly bull****, I assure you). 5kg equates to 11lbs. A rank novice male on a training program that I GIVE HIM, will gain in excess of 15lbs per month for the duration of his novice phase as a strength trainee. When does this end? When a linear progression in load (weight), workout-to-workout no longer occurs due to a plateu in strength development. After this period I would prescribe him with weekly targets rather than increasing the weight per workout. He has adapted to the external stress, while on the way putting on 30-50lbs of lean body mass. And stop calling it muscle, you realize our bodies also consist of ligaments, connective tissues, cartilage and bone?

"Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I though strength training was supposed to target strength, not muscle gain?"

Kid, that's why it's called strength training. The lack of understand you show here lies in the fact that strength training provides the maximal stimulus to un-, or deconditioned skeletal muscle. "Bodybuilding", as I assume you're aware of, and from which most of your online education is based, emphasises the merely superficial and TEMPORARY (yes, f*cking temporary) increase in muscle cell volume. Call it "sarcoplasmic hypertrophy" like the internet experts like to say. It's merely an influx of sarcoplasm that declines over the course of weeks following a sedentary period. On the other hand, strength training, due to the REAL physiological stress it places on the body grants the smart little strength trainee with larger muscle fibres and possible more (although hyperplasia is out of my league), rather than the fluid surrounding it -- a cause of "pumping iron".

The contrasting set and rep scheme you mentioned is irrelevant to anything.

Bottom line: the internet is stupid. Strength training will make you bigger, AND stronger than any other form of exercise, and yes 5kg of LBM is achieveable. Very achieveable.

Edit: I would advise OP if he is motivated enough to begin a strength training program, to buy the book "Starting Stength: Basic Barbell Training 2nd ed." by Mark Rippetoe. Any question you might have about exercise will be answered in there. it's indispensible.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 39

Please excuse my passive aggression, but here is an ellipsis that describes how I responded to your post:

"..."

Steroids? Naturally? I hesistate to even respond to this. No idea where to start... but since I'm so passionate about exercise physiology, and I know you're likely to be just a college student, I will be lenient and respond.

"I assume by "decent strength training programme " you mean using steroids?"

I mean a training programme involving the basical barbell movements including full squats, deadlifts, pulls, and pressing exercises.

"No one gains 5 kg of muscle in a month naturally"

This statement is incorrect and deferres to your preconceived, and naive perception of muscular development. Again, I know you're a college student so I'm more than certain your credentials stretch no further than what google has told you (silly bull****, I assure you). 5kg equates to 11lbs. A rank novice male on a training program that I GIVE HIM, will gain in excess of 15lbs per month for the duration of his novice phase as a strength trainee. When does this end? When a linear progression in load (weight), workout-to-workout no longer occurs due to a plateu in strength development. After this period I would prescribe him with weekly targets rather than increasing the weight per workout. He has adapted to the external stress, while on the way putting on 30-50lbs of lean body mass. And stop calling it muscle, you realize our bodies also consist of ligaments, connective tissues, cartilage and bone?

"Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I though strength training was supposed to target strength, not muscle gain?"

Kid, that's why it's called strength training. The lack of understand you show here lies in the fact that strength training provides the maximal stimulus to un-, or deconditioned skeletal muscle. "Bodybuilding", as I assume you're aware of, and from which most of your online education is based, emphasises the merely superficial and TEMPORARY (yes, f*cking temporary) increase in muscle cell volume. Call it "sarcoplasmic hypertrophy" like the internet experts like to say. It's merely an influx of sarcoplasm that declines over the course of weeks following a sedentary period. On the other hand, strength training, due to the REAL physiological stress it places on the body grants the smart little strength trainee with larger muscle fibres and possible more (although hyperplasia is out of my league), rather than the fluid surrounding it -- a cause of "pumping iron".

The contrasting set and rep scheme you mentioned is irrelevant to anything.

Bottom line: the internet is stupid. Strength training will make you bigger, AND stronger than any other form of exercise, and yes 5kg of LBM is achieveable. Very achieveable.

Edit: I would advise OP if he is motivated enough to begin a strength training program, to buy the book "Starting Stength: Basic Barbell Training 2nd ed." by Mark Rippetoe. Any question you might have about exercise will be answered in there. it's indispensible.

How long does this novice period last? 1 month?

11 pounds of muscle a month even if for only 3 months would mean nearly 2 and a half stone which is a ridiculous amount, even if it is possible it would be mainly fat.

There is no way that apart from maybe in the initial month of training with no previous lifting experience that someone can gain 5kg of lean body mass without using injectables or designer steroids.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest