The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter Nerd Culture?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NW-CG
I greatly commend you for learning FP2+3 yourself!
I only had the guts to learn AS Further Maths on my own, and that was with the easiest combination (D1 & M1; Statistics with my Main Maths)
All the very best of luck to you :bigsmile: Although I am sure you won't need it!

Apparently, loads of Maths teachers graduate from Exeter!
I know my two Maths teachers did, as well as one other that I know...

It's one of the reasons I want to be a teacher when I leave... Follow the awesome tradition 'n' all that :dance:

I will never, EVER stop visiting my school! I've grown way too fond of the place to just forget it!
I even made a remark on Results Day that I'd rather die than forget I'd gone there! And I stick by that! :shoot:

Then again, I am only about 40 minutes drive away from my school from Exeter Uni, so I can easily make a visit :tongue:

I'll be taught FP2, just not FP3. I dropped Chemistry so I could go to the A2 Further lessons. :tongue:
Didn't like M1, and I'll probably retake S2 as it's the applied module I'm most likely to get >90 in. Yeah, I will :tongue:

I don't really know that much about where my teachers came from, but I can recall him mentioning it before. I think. That teacher taught my other maths teacher when she was at school and he was doing his PGCE :tongue:

I want to be a teacher as well, but I'm not the most confident person so I need to get some balls. Hopefully not literally though. :tongue:

I need to visit my middle school, my Year 7 maths teacher was amazingly helpful and I'd like to see him before I go to uni. I know I'm going to miss this place when I leave, I've missed it enough during this holiday! :eek:
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by Meena373
NERDFIGHTERS!(I'm applying in 2012, somewhere with a nerdfighter community would hold serious sway over my decision :biggrin:) DFTBA.

:eek: I'm applying for 2012!

Darling, fetch the battle axe!

...I don't know what you mean when you say, please explain what is DFTBA?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by pheegee
Im travelling 2 and a half hours, I feel practically foreign compared to you guys :P

Don't feel too badly as I'm about a total of 12 hours away - coming all the way from America, so I really am foreign! :smile:

Also, is anyone else living in Lafrowda? I'm in Block E.
Reply 163
Original post by Banana_Llama
Maaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyybbbbbbbbbbbbbbeeeeeeee. :3

Well, I'm heading up from Plymouth, so my parents are taking me up in the truck, which hopefully means that I can fit everything in! :biggrin:

How are you travelling to what will be the greatest place ever?

A TRUCK :eek: What I'd give for that!

My journey consists of this exact order:

Bus
Bus
Train
Walk/Bus/Taxi/EPIC PANIC

As you can guess, I lack an allocated driver!

Also also also.

I'm going up to Exeter on Monday with some friends to do a reccy of the place, so if you want me to find out something or get piccies of something else, tell me and I'll try to help. I'll definitely try to take a peek at THE BEST ACCOMMODATION EVER (JOC, of course :biggrin:).

You're killing me here!!!
So am I! :eek::eek:

A few of us are doing a journey all across the two campuses and checking all of our accommodation.

No doubt we'll end up bumping right into you!
See you then, hopefully :biggrin:

Original post by Contrad!ction.
I'll be taught FP2, just not FP3. I dropped Chemistry so I could go to the A2 Further lessons. :tongue:
Didn't like M1, and I'll probably retake S2 as it's the applied module I'm most likely to get >90 in. Yeah, I will :tongue:

I don't really know that much about where my teachers came from, but I can recall him mentioning it before. I think. That teacher taught my other maths teacher when she was at school and he was doing his PGCE :tongue:

I want to be a teacher as well, but I'm not the most confident person so I need to get some balls. Hopefully not literally though. :tongue:

I need to visit my middle school, my Year 7 maths teacher was amazingly helpful and I'd like to see him before I go to uni. I know I'm going to miss this place when I leave, I've missed it enough during this holiday! :eek:

Remember, you only need to get 90 Average on FP2 and two other modules to get an A* in Further Maths, so don't put yourself through unnecessary resits!
If you get above 80 UMS in S2, leave it, as long as you're confident on M2/D2/FP3.

Too many resits breaks down even the most intelligent people!
Of course, if you're not too confident on the others, by all means, resit... But sometimes less resits gives you more focus on the ones you dodo.

One of my friends retook 8 exams in the summer, and got C's - E's... And he got B's before :tongue:

Are you planning to teach at your school?
Or going somewhere different, somewhere... Brand new? :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by NW-CG
A TRUCK :eek: What I'd give for that!

My journey consists of this exact order:

Bus
Bus
Train
Walk/Bus/Taxi/EPIC PANIC

As you can guess, I lack an allocated driver!

If it makes you feel any better, my parentals will probably be insanely embarrassing upon arrival...:redface:

You're killing me here!!!
So am I! :eek::eek:

A few of us are doing a journey all across the two campuses and checking all of our accommodation.

No doubt we'll end up bumping right into you!
See you then, hopefully :biggrin:

No. Way.

That is so Eepy. :eek:

I'll probably know you're about before I see you - my crazy/nerdy senses will be tingling! :biggrin:
Original post by NW-CG
Remember, you only need to get 90 Average on FP2 and two other modules to get an A* in Further Maths, so don't put yourself through unnecessary resits!
If you get above 80 UMS in S2, leave it, as long as you're confident on M2/D2/FP3.

Too many resits breaks down even the most intelligent people!
Of course, if you're not too confident on the others, by all means, resit... But sometimes less resits gives you more focus on the ones you dodo.

One of my friends retook 8 exams in the summer, and got C's - E's... And he got B's before :tongue:

Are you planning to teach at your school?
Or going somewhere different, somewhere... Brand new? :biggrin:

Pfft, confident with M2? :tongue: I reckon it'll be the pure modules and S2/S3/S4.

Dodo!

Oh, very encouraging :tongue:

Hmm. Not too sure, I wouldn't want to go back and then be a really crap teacher, I'd rather be a crap teacher elsewhere :tongue:
But on the other hand, I could carry on that chain and be the teacher taught by the teacher who taught my teacher. :awesome:
Pfft, confident with M2? :tongue: I reckon it'll be the pure modules and S2/S3/S4.

Dodo!

Oh, very encouraging :tongue:

Hmm. Not too sure, I wouldn't want to go back and then be a really crap teacher, I'd rather be a crap teacher elsewhere :tongue:
But on the other hand, I could carry on that chain and be the teacher taught by the teacher who taught my teacher. :awesome:

Are you doing additional further maths because I can't seem to understand all your modules?
Original post by arob752
Are you doing additional further maths because I can't seem to understand all your modules?

Nope, OCR doesn't do AFM :angry:

Maths: C1 C2 S1 then C3 C4 D1
F Maths: FP1 S2 M1 then M2 D2 FP2
I'm also doing S3, S4 and FP3, but I don't think it gives me AS AFM because of the board.
Nope, OCR doesn't do AFM :angry:

Maths: C1 C2 S1 then C3 C4 D1
F Maths: FP1 S2 M1 then M2 D2 FP2
I'm also doing S3, S4 and FP3, but I don't think it gives me AS AFM because of the board.

At least they give you more chances to get 90's to contribute to FM A*
Original post by arob752
At least they give you more chances to get 90's to contribute to FM A*

Which I need :tongue:

I reckon the 90's will be most likely to come from the S2 resit, FP2 or FP3.
Open days :colonhash:

I live in Dorset, specifically Poole. To get to Exeter by train requires me to go into HAMPSHIRE (Southampton) before going in the opposite direction to Devon. :angry: And costs too much.

Looks like I'm not going on any open days this year then. =/
Open days :colonhash:

I live in Dorset, specifically Poole. To get to Exeter by train requires me to go into HAMPSHIRE (Southampton) before going in the opposite direction to Devon. :angry: And costs too much.

Looks like I'm not going on any open days this year then. =/

Well, looks like you'll have us to throw lots of questions at if you can't get down for open days. :biggrin:
Well, looks like you'll have us to throw lots of questions at if you can't get down for open days. :biggrin:

Haha yeah, tgabjs

I'm also confusing myself because I really like some parts of physics (quantum <3) so I'm thinking about going joint with Maths/Physics but then it'll go all Mechanics on me which is the area of maths/physics that I don't like :s-smilie:

I like the purest of maths and the least mathsy physics :angry: :tongue:

edit: I meant to say thanks, dunno what happened there :tongue:
Reply 173
If it makes you feel any better, my parentals will probably be insanely embarrassing upon arrival...:redface:

Same. My mum will probably be running through every piece of advice she's ever given me, from how to breathe to my 7 times tables :tongue:

No. Way.

That is so Eepy. :eek:

I'll probably know you're about before I see you - my crazy/nerdy senses will be tingling! :biggrin:

I'd use my Wibbly Wobbly Nerd Detector just to be sure, but I think it's broken, as it always alarms when I'm around :mad:

:tongue:

:eek::eek: That's just what I want to do!

Destiny sometimes has weird ways of being epic!

NB: It took me about 5 minutes to decipher exactly what the hell that sentence meant :colonhash::awesome:

I'm also confusing myself because I really like some parts of physics (quantum <3) so I'm thinking about going joint with Maths/Physics but then it'll go all Mechanics on me which is the area of maths/physics that I don't like :s-smilie:

I like the purest of maths and the least mathsy physics :angry: :tongue:

So... Basically, what you're saying is... You like Maths? :confused::confused:

:biggrin:
NW-CG
:eek::eek: That's just what I want to do!

Destiny sometimes has weird ways of being epic!

NB: It took me about 5 minutes to decipher exactly what the hell that sentence meant :colonhash::awesome:

So... Basically, what you're saying is... You like Maths? :confused::confused:

:biggrin:

Mr P taught Mrs L. Mrs L taught me. Mr P teaches me. If I go back there then Mr P, Mrs L and I would all be teaching. Nice way to make both of them feel old. :sexface:

I love maths and I love quantum physics as well :tongue: I could do Maths and then use all the 60 free choice credits on physics modules but then I'll be missing the mathsy modules :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm a nerd!
I live in Exeter!
... But I don't go to Exeter University.

I have to say though, "nerdy inclined". oh dear.

Dont you just love turtleneck jumpers :smile:
Im a nerd.
i listen to kirby krackle, can name you all the members of the avengers and alpha flight, speak mando,a and im prepping for the coming zombie apocalypse
I moved to Exeter 4 hours ago. Yay

I fell twenty points short of the uni so im at Exeter college for a year.

Youll probably find me at the omg comic store in Exeter im the 6,5 Canadian guy

Hope you guys are good

John

(and yeah i know my spelling and Grammer sucks I REGRET NOTHING)
Reply 177
6'5''? Wow.
Original post by Dr_horrible93
Im a nerd.
i listen to kirby krackle, can name you all the members of the avengers and alpha flight, speak mando,a and im prepping for the coming zombie apocalypse
I moved to Exeter 4 hours ago. Yay

I fell twenty points short of the uni so im at Exeter college for a year.

Youll probably find me at the omg comic store in Exeter im the 6,5 Canadian guy

Hope you guys are good

John

(and yeah i know my spelling and Grammer sucks I REGRET NOTHING)

I'm at Exeter college! I didn't know Exeter had a comic book store, but I suppose I'm not too interested in them., but if you see a 5"11- 6" boy with a turtleneck jumper and thick black glasses. It's likely to be me :smile:

What course are you doing?
Im doin the business HND so im only in on mondays from 9 til 6. yeah there is one near the place that sells all the pot pipes and stuff. (IM NOT A DRUGGIE) anyway yeah if any of the guys and girls on this thread wanna arrange a meet up and have a beer or something lemme know.

John

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending