The Student Room Group

Private Schools are better than State Schools.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2033314/Private-pupils-SIX-TIMES-likely-A-grades-GCSEs-state-schools.html

Not opinion, but FACT. Unless you think that a higher number of A*s represents a worse education?

inb4 neg from angry students that the system failed who can't handle the truth

Edit: The number of negs is worrying, do this number of people STILL disagree? HAHA, lots of failures on here!
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Add the word 'generally' between are and better.
Reply 2
1) A barrowload of A* achieved by pupils in a private school geared up to maximise exam passes is not necessarily a great school imo.

2) Qualifications is only part of what I call a good education. Education should be about preparing students for adulthood as well employment. Effective PSHE and teaching softer skills that you can't 'mark' in schools should be regarded as more important than it is.

All of that said, your statement is correct in most cases when you take everything into account.

EDIT:- I'm assuming the negs are from people with a barrowload of A* from a private schools :rolleyes:

EDIT2: See posts #27 and #40
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
There are some private schools that frankly have rather poor results. Generally your statement is true though.
Reply 4
Generally a private school is better for grades.

Generally a state school provides a better social life and a more 'real' look at the world.

All that needs to be said.

P.s. Grades do not define intelligence. I'll just throw that in there.

If your going to neg me, say why :smile:
I spent my life school life in a state school. Whilst i spent a good 8 hours a week on average at a private school (family member went there, another worked there). I have spent a lot more time at both than the majority of people on here. . This is also the view shared among many who discuss this topic on forums and article a like. A simple google look will find it for you :smile:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/dec/03/state-school-pupils-university
'Research finds students from comprehensive schools get better degrees than privately educated peers with the same grades'

The better social life skills and the difference in teaching 'methods' used better prepares a state school student for future education. Fact.

Keep the neg coming. Just proving how little people actually look at sources given to them :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by goape
Add the word 'generally' between are and better.

You're right, it's a general statement, but anyone who can't see that for themselves shouldn't be let loose on the Internet.
Reply 6
Original post by Tommyjw
Generally a state school provides a better social life and a more 'real' look at the world.

Unless you have a source to back that up, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ignore that statement.
Reply 7
O RLY.
Well obviously being as they're paying lots of money.
Original post by Tommyjw

Of course. It's impossible to define intelligence.
Reply 10
Original post by DarylDonnes
You're right, it's a general statement, but anyone who can't see that for themselves shouldn't be let loose on the Internet.

Well I don't really see the need for a thread to point out the bleeding obvious. It's like creating a thread called 'Smoking during pregnancy is harmful'.
Reply 11
Unless you have a source to back that up, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ignore that statement.

Unless you are so naive that you think a social life can be statistically recorded and compared. I'm going to ignore your question :smile:

Just look at any related discussion or article about it and you'll see :smile:
Generally private schools produce "better" results but that doesn't actually mean they are "better" - there's a lot more to better-ness than just producing good results. You also have to consider whether getting one extra A* at GCSE is worth the thousands of pounds parents fork out for private education.

This debate is quite relevant to a conservation I overheard this evening with a young boy just moving into a very prestigious £10k per term private school near where I live. He was discussing with his parents about when they would visit him and he couldn't work out how many weeks it was until 25th September....And he was going into his first year of secondary education. And here's me thinking, "OK so by the time you finish your GCSEs, your parents are going to have forked out over £100,000 for you to get a few extra UCAS points maybe." That's some dedication to your kid's education.

I'm OK with private schools if the local schools are really appaling but if the local schools are decent then I don't think they serve a lot of purpose. I also can't understand why parents would send their children off to a boarding school at a very young age for the rest of their childhood unless the parents happen to be in the army/away for long periods of time etc. What on earth is the point of having children if you're going to send them away again?

Also OP, that article is, not only from the Daily Mail, but terribly written too.... I guess the two go hand-in-hand really.
(edited 12 years ago)
What purpose does this thread serve?
Well, with the amount of money that students pay for private schools, its no surprise that they will generally come out with better grades.
Reply 15
Yes the schools are, doesn't mean the students are :tongue:
Reply 16
Original post by Tommyjw

I tried to re-level your rep but some bastard then went a negged you.

I live in York and this is absolutely true, we have more private schools than state schools, the private school kids I know:

Drink Grey Goose at parties
Are permanently spray tanned
Consider Jack Wills cheap
Don't understand why people are not as rich as them
Have 3 pairs of RayBans
Have a horse at their school

The thing about grades is also true, I did alright and it comes down to learning what hoops the examiner wants you to jump through and jumping through them through effort and revision rather than intelligence, this is certainly true for GCSEs and as people get more advanced it becomes less prevalent.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2033314/Private-pupils-SIX-TIMES-likely-A-grades-GCSEs-state-schools.html

Not opinion, but FACT. Unless you think that a higher number of A*s represents a worse education?

Well done, Captain Obvious!

Money money = better school.

Why?

Better facilities, better teachers, better organisation, better resources, etc.

A private school can easily afford to send all their teachers on the costly courses that AQA, Edexcel et al run for their teachers. They can afford the newest textbooks, the most up to date education technologies. Smartboards, quality computers for all their students. The facilities are pretty good too. The teachers are a higher quality than the state can afford because the best teaching graduates are attracted by a higher salary, smaller classes and better hours.

The smaller classes mean children are taught better - why do you think Oxford and Cambridge graduates get such a good education? Oxbridge are absolutely loaded and can afford to fund individual tutors for their students - private schools are not dissimilar.

Not to mention that there are far less students who are badly behaved in private schools - their parents are actually paying for their education. The private schools can deal with troublesome students much easier too - kick them out. They're not a compulsory school, they're an optional private benefit for the wealthy.

Private schools are always going to be better than state schools in terms of grades they achieve. There are arguments that the children can come out of such schools with a bit of a chip on their shoulder and a bit of naivety, but on the whole they far surpass the state in terms of grades achieved, and that at the end of the day is what most parents send their children to these places for.
Reply 18
Original post by goape
Well I don't really see the need for a thread to point out the bleeding obvious. It's like creating a thread called 'Smoking during pregnancy is harmful'.

What may seem obvious can sometimes be very wrong. Having hard facts to show a point is true is VERY important.

Or maybe not...

Drought is obviously because of the Gods.
Glass is obviously a normal solid.
We'll obviously have robot butlers by the year 2000.
The UK government is obviously not involved in the torture of people in Libya.

I am afraid your statement contains an unspoken definition of better i.e that it depends on GCSE examination results.

If I was to define best schools as the ones that produced most professional footballers, which given the salary potential of professional footballers is not an altogether stupid criterion, state schools would do far better than private schools.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending