The Student Room Group

BSMS Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tania<3
Does anyone know whether my AS grades ABBB would put me at a disadvantage if I apply to BSMS? I think my predictions should be AAA because my Bs were only off by a few marks and i'm retaking.

But I have no idea whether BSMS use AS grades to determine who to select for interview, a little help would be much appreciated :biggrin:

hey am in similar situation with AABC but do not know whether to apply as i have c in chem. i have contacted but no reply
Does BSMS allow you to do an intercalculated degree?
Original post by laughingbagel
Does BSMS allow you to do an intercalculated degree?

Yes they do.

Also it is intercalated and not intercalculated :teehee:
Reply 63
Original post by a moist feeling
Personally I wouldn't apply here :erm: I may be bitter but having applied twice to them with two completely different applications I have been left bitter. On my first attempt my personal statement was bad, I had no W/E whatsoever and so realistically deserved to be rejected to be honest and I scored 25/30 with 25.5/30 being the cut-off for interview. On my second attempt to try and get into BSMS, I had a much improved application, I had a lot of W/E, more voluntary work as well as a job as an HCA, and better grades than I was predicted first time round. During this second try I got 24/30, 1 point below what I got in the first year with no W/E. I have no idea what BSMS are looking for to be honest, and I got interviews at the other three universities I applied to. I just don't like their admissions policy and if I were on another gap year, I would avoid BSMS like the plague despite it being a fantastic medical school and great place to study :h:

Hey Congratulations on BARTS!!! :biggrin: ... love that place!

but yup due to my lack of bitterness :wink: ... I think I am applying to BSMS
but could you say what the points were based on, like each little section if you have it?

Thanks so much and dw you don't have to put it on, just if you felt like being nice, for those of us sitting out a gap year -.- or applying first time round this year! :biggrin:

Thanks
Original post by Godin_D
Hey Congratulations on BARTS!!! :biggrin: ... love that place!

but yup due to my lack of bitterness :wink: ... I think I am applying to BSMS
but could you say what the points were based on, like each little section if you have it?

Thanks so much and dw you don't have to put it on, just if you felt like being nice, for those of us sitting out a gap year -.- or applying first time round this year! :biggrin:

Thanks

Yeh Barts is truly amazing and I can't wait to start :crazy:

I'm pretty sure it is just a half split, 15 for academics, 15 for non-academics. What was the most confusing part for me was scoring more first time round with no W/E at all, and lower predicted grades than what I achieved. I actually sent them an e-mail questioning this to which I got no response either. But the medical school itself seems pretty awesome :h: just the admissions policy reminds of someone clicking the random button on a calculator between 1 and 30 :facepalm2:

Good luck to all those applying here though :h:
Original post by belle-a
x

Hi :hi:

Username: thegodofgod
Course: Medicine(A100)
GCSE (or equivalent): A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AB (B = English Language)
AS Levels: Biology, Chemistry, German, Maths
A2 Levels: Biology, Chemistry, German
International Student?: No
Reapplicant/Transfer Applicant/First Time Applicant?: First Time Applicant

Best of luck to everyone :biggrin:
Reply 66
Original post by thegodofgod
Hi :hi:

Username: thegodofgod
GCSE (or equivalent): A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AB (B = English Language)
AS Levels: Biology, Chemistry, German, Maths
A2 Levels: Biology, Chemistry, German
Reapplicant/Transfer Applicant/First Time Applicant?: First Time Applicant

Best of luck to everyone :biggrin:

yey!!! welcome aboard thegodofgod. interesting username u've got. :smile:
good luck to you.
Reply 67
Original post by belle-a
yey!!! welcome aboard thegodofgod. interesting username u've got. :smile:
good luck to you.

I'm joining you too!
Reply 68
Original post by oldbatty
I'm joining you too!

hi oldbatty!!! Welcome. Tell us a bit about yourself if you will. Academically of course :smile:
Reply 69
I haven't had chance to go to any of the open days for BSMS, so I was just wondering if there were any current BSMS medics (or even people that have been to an open day) that I could talk to about the school/area/campus etc? :smile:
Reply 70
I understand that BSMS have a 30 point pre-interview selection,

15 points academic

15 points non-academic

Could anybody tell me how those points are awarded?

Thanks
Reply 71
Original post by Escapade
I haven't had chance to go to any of the open days for BSMS, so I was just wondering if there were any current BSMS medics (or even people that have been to an open day) that I could talk to about the school/area/campus etc? :smile:

I got this link from the university of sussex website which gives you a tour of that side of the med school and this for university of brighton. Couldn't find one for bsms though. I know it's not the same as an actual open day but if you do get to the interview stage, there is a tour of the falmer campus and some of the sussex accommodation before or after your interview:smile:
Reply 72
Original post by os93
I understand that BSMS have a 30 point pre-interview selection,

15 points academic

15 points non-academic

Could anybody tell me how those points are awarded?

Thanks

I found this on new media medicine. Hope it helps.

Brighton give 15points (their max) for 4A at A-level so then you would go onto the next part of the selection procedure. This will be the non-academic criteria and so they asses ur PS, references and work exp and give you score /15. they add ur 2 scores and find mean. this score will rank you and about 500 interviews will be given out from about 2700 applications, and following that 220 offers made for 138 places. ukcat is used only after interview to decide borderline candidates.
Reply 73
Original post by belle-a

But surely they consider GCSE score's as well don't they, or wouldn't that mean everyone gets max of 15 if they are predicted 4A's at A-level?
Original post by belle-a

Hey, so do you know what I would score with AABB at AS (out of 15)?

By the way, I forgot to mention that I took critical thinking as well as an AS subject - shows what I really think of it :tongue:
Reply 75
Hey everyone
Username: manderson
GCSE: AAAAABBBB
AS Levels: BCDD - B in Latin, C in Biology, D in Chemistry and General Studies :frown:
A2 Levels: BCCC - B in Chemistry, C in Biology, Latin and General Studies :frown:
Undergraduate Degree: Applied Biomedical Science - 1st Class - Top of my class :biggrin:
Postgraduate Degree: Advanced Biological Science - Molecular Oncology - Passed with 65% :biggrin: :colondollar:
Reapplicant/Transfer Applicant/First Time Applicant?: Reapplicant
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 76
Username: YesDoc
Course: Medicine (A100)
GCSE (or equivalent): A*A*AAAAABBB
International Baccalaureate Subjects: Chemistry HL, Biology HL, Psychology HL, Spanish SL, English SL, Maths SL
IB Predicted: 41/45
IB Score: TBA
International Student? No
Reapplicant/Transfer Applicant/First Time Applicant? First Time Applicant

:smile:
Reply 77
Original post by Cheddar
But surely they consider GCSE score's as well don't they, or wouldn't that mean everyone gets max of 15 if they are predicted 4A's at A-level?

Yeah that was what i was thinking too. But i don't know their policy on GCSEs. There is no information on it on their website either. Just a mention of a pass in english and maths. I suppose what that means is that a good predicted a-level result and a decent GCSE should be good enough. I would focus on getting top marks for the work experience and voluntary work bit, extra curricular that is.
Reply 78
Original post by thegodofgod
Hey, so do you know what I would score with AABB at AS (out of 15)?

By the way, I forgot to mention that I took critical thinking as well as an AS subject - shows what I really think of it :tongue:

I applied with known a level results so i can't really say what your score will be. I suppose your predicted grades will be more important than the AS when scoring you for the academics. I may be wrong though.
Reply 79
Original post by manderson
Hey everyone
Username: manderson
GCSE: AAAAABBBB
AS Levels: BCDD - B in Latin, C in Biology, D in Chemistry and General Studies :frown:
A2 Levels: BCCC - B in Chemistry, C in Biology, Latin and General Studies :frown:
Undergraduate Degree: Applied Biomedical Science - 1st Class - Top of my class :biggrin:
Postgraduate Degree: Advanced Biological Science - Molecular Oncology - Merit/Distinction TBA: 23rd Sept

Reapplicant/Transfer Applicant/First Time Applicant?: Reapplicant

Original post by YesDoc
Username: YesDoc
Course: Medicine (A100)
GCSE (or equivalent): A*A*AAAAABBB
International Baccalaureate Subjects: Chemistry HL, Biology HL, Psychology HL, Spanish SL, English SL, Maths SL
IB Predicted: 41/45
IB Score: TBA
International Student? No
Reapplicant/Transfer Applicant/First Time Applicant? First Time Applicant

:smile:

Hello!!! Good luck with your applications. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending