The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dbmag9
Ack, so jealous. I want my @merton.ox.ac.uk (incidentally, am I the only person who pronounces that as "dot ox dot ack dot uck"?) address!

Also, only a month to go. I should really start doing those maths exercises.

It'd be cool if Exeter emails were "ex.ox.ac.uk"

I think someone mentioned this earlier, but your pronunciation would make it sound so cool.

I find myself saying ox then spelling out each letter...
Original post by Laurenx0044
No I haven't. I've done about 2/3 of it, I'm working through it slowly. haha
Erm... no I haven't got a freshers pack as such but I got an email with my log in information for weblearn, so I have been on that. And I found a freshers booklet online.

It does seem we are quite few and far between on tsr :P Have you seen the Corpus facebook group, there are quite a lot of people on there and everybody is lovely http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/165851553472283/

Would you believe I don't actually have Facebook?

Shocking, I know....
Original post by deFossard
I've only just realised how hideously dense most academic history is. Yuck. Why do academics use so many loooooong words?

And I think you may be in a minority for that pronunciation. I go for the long-winded tongue twister of every letter.

It's funny because I think you often find that the truly outstanding historians, those that really sway you to their way of thinking, provoke the most thought and inspire the most interest are usually the ones who don't feel the need to embellish their writing with the most abtruse vocab possible.

I'm reading the late F.W Walbank's "The Hellenistic World" at the moment and I'm
finding it a joy. It's no coincidence that he's considered one of the foremost historians of the ancient world!
Reply 3383
I've only just realised how hideously dense most academic history is. Yuck. Why do academics use so many loooooong words?

And I think you may be in a minority for that pronunciation. I go for the long-winded tongue twister of every letter.

Careful there, my dad's (technically) a historian, although not very academic. :p:

It's so much more fun to say it that way! If only it had been called 'Okford' to begin with it could have been even better...
Original post by The Anti-Hero
Would you believe I don't actually have Facebook?

Shocking, I know....

Haha ok. Yeah I didn't have it until last year and now I do I just kind of assume that everyone else has it too :P sorry
Yey, I now have my login :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3386
Original post by dbmag9
Ack, so jealous. I want my @merton.ox.ac.uk (incidentally, am I the only person who pronounces that as "dot ox dot ack dot uck"?) address!

Also, only a month to go. I should really start doing those maths exercises.

I pronounce it like that - I think I picked it up from one of the tutors at an Oxbridge conference.

I don't have my @exeter.ox.ac.uk email address yet, but I did go down to Oxford yesterday and bought my gown, mortarboard and white bow tie. To quote Mr. DeFossard above, I, too, am "buzzing".
Original post by Fang_RedDragon
No but I stayed there for my interviews. Im in Keble in Hayward now.

Ah ok, I just thought it might be because of the 'funky 60s style' comment :smile:. Also those rooms have fridges. Anyway.
Reply 3388
Original post by Bax-man
I pronounce it like that - I think I picked it up from one of the tutors at an Oxbridge conference.

I don't have my @exeter.ox.ac.uk email address yet, but I did go down to Oxford yesterday and bought my gown, mortarboard and white bow tie. To quote Mr. DeFossard above, I, too, am "buzzing".

Hurrah. If we use it conspicuously enough it'll catch on and we can conquer the world. :biggrin:

Aww, so jealous. I'm going to have to wait until I go up to buy mine, so no parading around my bedroom in academic dress just yet.
Original post by The Anti-Hero
It's funny because I think you often find that the truly outstanding historians, those that really sway you to their way of thinking, provoke the most thought and inspire the most interest are usually the ones who don't feel the need to embellish their writing with the most abtruse vocab possible.

I'm reading the late F.W Walbank's "The Hellenistic World" at the moment and I'm
finding it a joy. It's no coincidence that he's considered one of the foremost historians of the ancient world!

I know what you mean, I think similarly of Niall Ferguson, I know he's slightly more of a popular historian, but he writes in such an engrossing way. I'm reading Roy Porter's "Enlightenment: Britain and the making of the modern world" which is certainly very good, but it's packed to the brim with all sorts of -isms. How am I meant to keep track of Cartesianism, Deism, Arithomancy, Cleromancy, Dactylomancy.....?
Booyah. Weblearn has recognised my account now, I'm in.

What do I do?
Booyah. Weblearn has recognised my account now, I'm in.

What do I do?

Run in little circles celebrating of course! :biggrin:
Going down on Wednesday for accomodation purposes, excited now :biggrin:
Original post by ChopinNocturne
x

Original post by barefootfiona
x

Hey guys, sorry it's a few days late and, also, sorry to bring the conversation back to mini fridges. These are the dimensions for the 20L on Argos :smile:

Without the front door pockets or the shelf, the measurements are: depth 21cm, width 25cm and height 33cm. I think it will be a pretty handy little thing :smile:
Reply 3394
Original post by Babs12123
Hey guys, sorry it's a few days late and, also, sorry to bring the conversation back to mini fridges. These are the dimensions for the 20L on Argos :smile:

Without the front door pockets or the shelf, the measurements are: depth 21cm, width 25cm and height 33cm. I think it will be a pretty handy little thing :smile:

You awesome individual. Trying not to sound too clueless, how do those measurements translate into gin bottles? And perhaps even more importantly, will fridge magnets stick to the door?
Original post by dbmag9
You awesome individual. Trying not to sound too clueless, how do those measurements translate into gin bottles? And perhaps even more importantly, will fridge magnets stick to the door?

I am now awesome-less as I do not have a gin bottle handy D:
I can fit at least 6 70cl bottles of vodka in if that helps?
Sadly fridge magnets do not stick. They may have to be a special treat for when you go home :tongue:
Reply 3396
Original post by Babs12123
I am now awesome-less as I do not have a gin bottle handy D:
I can fit at least 6 70cl bottles of vodka in if that helps?
Sadly fridge magnets do not stick. They may have to be a special treat for when you go home :tongue:

No fridge magnets‽ This is a calamity of the highest order. Thanks for the information, though. :smile:
Mini fridges, eh? Guess which college has a mini fridge in each room...
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=267574124

30kg of basmati rice = £27 for a term's worth of lunch. I LOVE RICE
Reply 3399
Original post by micky022
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=267574124

30kg of basmati rice = £27 for a term's worth of lunch. I LOVE RICE

*recommends rice and baked beans*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending