The Student Room Group

Best Universities For Architecture???

I am just wondering which are the best universities to study architecture at?

Also, I'm doing A-Levels in Maths Mechanics, Physics, Geography and ICT but will I be able to study Architecture at university without A-Level Art?

Scroll to see replies

I've heard Bristol UWE is excellent for this. Take a look.

Your best bet is looking for your ideal course, do a UCAS search and take a look at the programme in detail and see whether it suits you.

You'll have to check whether you need A-Level Art but if you do on a certain course and you'd really like to apply for the course you can always do foundation art after your A-Levels at a University or College before undertaking the Undergraduate programme.
Reply 2
The best schools of architecture in terms of the quality of work, employers opinions and competition for places are:
UCL
Sheffield University
Glasgow School of Art.

Bath, Cambridge, Cardiff (and maybe the AA) are also very well respected. Westminster seems to have won a few of RIBA awards recently but there seems a greater difference between the best and worst work than other schools and student dropout and satisfaction is not so good. It all depends what u are in to really, some schools put greater emphasis on design, some on CAD, some on engineering, others on environmental stuff. You can study without A level art but many of the best schools base their decision on a portfolio because of the number of applicants with 3As+ so it is important to be creative and imaginative.
Reply 3
UCL
Cardiff
Bath
Sheffield
Manchester
The AA
GSA

Oxford Brookes is actually quite good if you're running low on tariff points.

UCL would be a lot of peoples top choice, but its very arts based so it might not suit those who are purely technically minded.

Portfolio not A-Level.
Manchester vs. Leeds vs. Oxford Brookes?

Which one?
Reply 6
Bath!!! I already doing it there so it instantly better!! :P

I have friends in ucl and they hate it...I mean we both suffer from excessive sleep deprivation. You wont have much of a life anyway so you might a well go somewhere quiter and cheaper.. sheifield and other non london unis are good as well.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Nikinilo
Manchester vs. Leeds vs. Oxford Brookes?

Which one?

Leeds University's architectural engineering is not a architecture course.
Cambridge?
Original post by yeahyeahyeahs
Leeds University's architectural engineering is not a architecture course.

Alright!
if u had to pick :Manchester or Brookes?
Reply 10
Help, I'm stuck at this too!! UCL is my first, i just loooove the feel of the course, I'm more arts oriented, and I would like something similar to UCL to put as my second... Any thoughts?
Reply 11
i would say definitely cardiff, as it saves a year( shorter course) plus good ranking....
please correct me if i am wrong.
Reply 12
Original post by sandy42900
i would say definitely cardiff, as it saves a year( shorter course) plus good ranking....
please correct me if i am wrong.

You do an extra year in practice and one less in university but that doesn't count towards your Part III exams so it still takes a minimum of 7 years just like everywhere else.
Reply 13
considering i am an international student and don't need to do part III, i am o.k with part II in my country.....what then?
Reply 14
It still takes two years to do a Part II at Cardiff, you can't complete it without enrolled on the course for two years, spending one of the years in practice and one in university.
the advantage being that you're earning for one year more than other universities.
Reply 16
what you mean is ...it takes a total of five years to get a march degree... three years for part one (riba) and two years for part two....thats one year less than other colleges.?
Original post by sandy42900
what you mean is ...it takes a total of five years to get a march degree... three years for part one (riba) and two years for part two....thats one year less than other colleges.?

no what i mean is you go to university for one year to do your part 2 at cardiff. you work for one year, then you have one year full time at cardiff. that means you are working for a year longer than people on other part 2 courses who have 2 years full time academia. you have a year of (hopefully) working and earning money when others are studying.
This is really helpful. Can you tell me which universities offering architecture are arts based pleased?
Original post by architectureECG
This is really helpful. Can you tell me which universities offering architecture are arts based pleased?

…. or more artsy than engineering maths-focussed? I’m guessing from comments above that UCL is? I find it hard to tell from online course descriptions. Am keen on Edinburgh, Bath, Cardiff, Nottingham, Oxford Brookes, Sheffield, Newcastle & Manchester…

Quick Reply

Latest