The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2420
Hey can someone help me, I don't know how to use the PS helper on the site.
Original post by expopyro
Hey can someone help me, I don't know how to use the PS helper on the site.

Just go to the PS Helper Forum, choose the social sciences section and then create a new thread with your PS in it. Also include what universities you are applying to :smile:
Do you think it is possible that someone who graduates from LSE for economics doesn't get employed? (providing they passed the course with at least a 2:2 maybe).
Original post by miscellaneous123
Do you think it is possible that someone who graduates from LSE for economics doesn't get employed? (providing they passed the course with at least a 2:2 maybe).

Well, if the person really sucks at EVERY interview, yes I think it is possible. But people that went to LSE are usually smart people who are very career driven and will therefore try everything to perform well at interview etc...
Original post by nightmare91
Well, if the person really sucks at EVERY interview, yes I think it is possible. But people that went to LSE are usually smart people who are very career driven and will therefore try everything to perform well at interview etc...

ahh you're German! All I learnt for German was verschwinden Sie, so pardon my German. How does the education system work there? I've noticed the HL and the SL?
ahh you're German! All I learnt for German was verschwinden Sie, so pardon my German. How does the education system work there? I've noticed the HL and the SL?

Well, 'verschwinden Sie' is an important phrase :wink:

Our system is similar to the IB, i.e. we have 3 Higher Levels and up to 7 Standard Levels. We cannot choose all standard Levels (I could also only choose 2 of the three higher levels, I actually wanted to have Maths as a Higher Level. That's why I'm doing Maths A Level), the school decides most of them unfortunately. What is pretty unique to our education system is that we have an oral grade in every subject that counts 50% into our grade. Unfortunately it is a very subjective grade, every teacher perceives your participation in class differently... But our system is okay, just really difficult and time consuming due to the many subjects we have to take.
Well, 'verschwinden Sie' is an important phrase :wink:

Our system is similar to the IB, i.e. we have 3 Higher Levels and up to 7 Standard Levels. We cannot choose all standard Levels (I could also only choose 2 of the three higher levels, I actually wanted to have Maths as a Higher Level. That's why I'm doing Maths A Level), the school decides most of them unfortunately. What is pretty unique to our education system is that we have an oral grade in every subject that counts 50% into our grade. Unfortunately it is a very subjective grade, every teacher perceives your participation in class differently... But our system is okay, just really difficult and time consuming due to the many subjects we have to take.

oh right. That sounds really difficult! You must be very able if you can take all that and still do Maths A level lol. Is there a particular reason as to why you're not applying to any German universities? I heard that the government paid for your education there?! Or am I just wrong lol.
oh right. That sounds really difficult! You must be very able if you can take all that and still do Maths A level lol. Is there a particular reason as to why you're not applying to any German universities? I heard that the government paid for your education there?! Or am I just wrong lol.

I hope I am very able at least :tongue:

Well, I will apply to German universities if I don't get any offers from British universities. In Germany you apply to unis after you have received your final results, that is in July. So if I get rejected by all my British choices, I will still have time to apply to German unis.

Yes, education is really cheap. You pay up to 500€/semester. But I don't like the system over here. I prefer the British universities. Especially for economics, the british universities are better. :smile:
oh okay, thanks for the info!
Reply 2429
I hope I am very able at least :tongue:

Well, I will apply to German universities if I don't get any offers from British universities. In Germany you apply to unis after you have received your final results, that is in July. So if I get rejected by all my British choices, I will still have time to apply to German unis.

Yes, education is really cheap. You pay up to 500€/semester. But I don't like the system over here. I prefer the British universities. Especially for economics, the british universities are better. :smile:

I personally think that would work a lot better than the current system over here...I don't think predicted grades (and even AS levels, judging by the amount of people, not on this thread, who are actually planning to work next year :rolleyes:) do people justice. I'm especially worried that my predicteds may be taken with a pinch of salt - my GCSEs weren't the best (yes, my own fault) and I haven't done the full Maths or Economics AS. From what I've heard on open days, many of my universities like to interview, which I'm thankful for :smile:
Original post by CloClo7
I personally think that would work a lot better than the current system over here...I don't think predicted grades (and even AS levels, judging by the amount of people, not on this thread, who are actually planning to work next year :rolleyes:) do people justice. I'm especially worried that my predicteds may be taken with a pinch of salt - my GCSEs weren't the best (yes, my own fault) and I haven't done the full Maths or Economics AS. From what I've heard on open days, many of my universities like to interview, which I'm thankful for :smile:

I too haven't got 6+ A* GCSEs or doing Further Maths at A-Level, so I'm so confused as to where I should apply, what are you going for?
Reply 2431
Original post by 94george94
I too haven't got 6+ A* GCSEs or doing Further Maths at A-Level, so I'm so confused as to where I should apply, what are you going for?

What were your GCSE's? I known I did alright and better than a lot of people I know, but just not compared to most people on here.

I wish I'd taken FM, but even that wouldn't help my situation because I didn't take the full AS in normal maths (due to how my sixthform works) so I only have one module to put on UCAS, same with economics :s-smilie: Hoping that doesn't damage my application :s-smilie:

I'm applying for actuarial science rather than economics, so joined this thread and the maths thread to get the best advise (did try and start an ActSci one, no one replied :frown:) Anyway, so far I'm going for UEA, Cass, Kent and Heriot-Watt.

I didn't particularly like LSE (and am worried about the GCSEs anyway), so probably won't apply there unless I do so on a whim :rolleyes:

I was thinking Economics at Cambridge, will talk to my advisor tomorrow about getting a PS to match both courses, and tbh I'm not fussed if I don't apply there. I'm lucky in a way - only a few unis do my course, even less offering exemptions, so really I only have a few to choose from. :tongue:

Where are you thinking of?
Original post by CloClo7
What were your GCSE's? I known I did alright and better than a lot of people I know, but just not compared to most people on here.

I wish I'd taken FM, but even that wouldn't help my situation because I didn't take the full AS in normal maths (due to how my sixthform works) so I only have one module to put on UCAS, same with economics :s-smilie: Hoping that doesn't damage my application :s-smilie:

I'm applying for actuarial science rather than economics, so joined this thread and the maths thread to get the best advise (did try and start an ActSci one, no one replied :frown:) Anyway, so far I'm going for UEA, Cass, Kent and Heriot-Watt.

I didn't particularly like LSE (and am worried about the GCSEs anyway), so probably won't apply there unless I do so on a whim :rolleyes:

I was thinking Economics at Cambridge, will talk to my advisor tomorrow about getting a PS to match both courses, and tbh I'm not fussed if I don't apply there. I'm lucky in a way - only a few unis do my course, even less offering exemptions, so really I only have a few to choose from. :tongue:

Where are you thinking of?

Well my GCSEs are hardly TSR standard; A*A*AAAAAAAB

And my AS UMS top 3 average is 87% - should be about 92% after retakes

So effectively I've ruled out the Big 5: Oxbridge, LSE, UCL and Warwick - may still apply to one of them because I can't bare thinking 'what if?'

Choices at the moment:

(1 of the Big 5)
Edinburgh
Durham
York
dunno where else...

I should be getting A*AA maybe even A*A*A if i pull my finger out when it comes to exams this time.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Larriant
Not at all! :biggrin:

Surely if Greek defaults, it won't have any debt and will thus have significantly reduced its debt burden. Or is there something I'm missing?

I meant in the future it would be difficult to pay back debt with such a weak currency. (They would need some external finance after the default if it's to rebuild the economy)

Also, as Perry said if no one will loan to them they may have to resort to an IMF loan with excrutiatingly high interest rates. :biggrin:

Furthermore, I doubt Greece would completely default on their debt otherwise the rest of the Eurozone would be pretty angry, and this would further hamper both trade and international cooperation. It is more likely that Greece will default completely on around half of its debt, while suspending the other half for a good 5-10 years until it's back on its feet and has repaired its banking system and improved its currency market.

I fear I am drifting off into finance and not economics here :colondollar:
Reply 2434
Well my GCSEs are hardly TSR standard; A*A*AAAAAAAB

And my AS UMS top 3 average is 87% - should be about 92% after retakes

So effectively I've ruled out the Big 5: Oxbridge, LSE, UCL and Warwick - may still apply to one of them because I can't bare thinking 'what if?'

Choices at the moment:

(1 of the Big 5)
Edinburgh
Durham
York
dunno where else...

I should be getting A*AA maybe even A*A*A if i pull my finger out when it comes to exams this time.

Similar to mine...A*A*A*AAAAAAAABB, plus AAAAA this year (but obviously some of those aren't full AS grades yet).

I'd have loved Warwick Morse, but realistically with everything going on in my life, STEP is out of the question, and this also means the Oxford Maths course I was looking at is (entrance exam in November). I think cardiff do morse though, will check out requirements for that sometime :smile: I feel almost lucky that I have a really small amount to actually consider :smile:

Have you thought about joint degrees, maybe slightly less competition...I was looking (when i was thinking of economics) something with geography, internation development etc. And how is the possibility of doing AS FM (self teaching)?

Concentrate on having a good personal statement....thats what I'm doing anyway!
Original post by DylanLJG
they may have to resort to an IMF loan with excrutiatingly high interest rates. :biggrin:

Not to mention all the conditionalities that the IMF impose on the recipient country. They'll impose the Washington Consensus, throw money at Greece to keep a stable exchange rate/ keep inflation low, whilst in the meantime ignoring the economists of Greece.
Original post by CloClo7
Similar to mine...A*A*A*AAAAAAAABB, plus AAAAA this year (but obviously some of those aren't full AS grades yet).

I'd have loved Warwick Morse, but realistically with everything going on in my life, STEP is out of the question, and this also means the Oxford Maths course I was looking at is (entrance exam in November). I think cardiff do morse though, will check out requirements for that sometime :smile: I feel almost lucky that I have a really small amount to actually consider :smile:

Have you thought about joint degrees, maybe slightly less competition...I was looking (when i was thinking of economics) something with geography, internation development etc. And how is the possibility of doing AS FM (self teaching)?

Concentrate on having a good personal statement....thats what I'm doing anyway!

Yeah I'm planning on self teaching FM this year, but I need to speak to the school about entering me into the exams. If so I'd be doing FP1, S2, D1.
Not to mention all the conditionalities that the IMF impose on the recipient country. They'll impose the Washington Consensus, throw money at Greece to keep a stable exchange rate/ keep inflation low, whilst in the meantime ignoring the economists of Greece.

Let's not even get started on that! :biggrin:

(I'm guessing you've read Globalisation and its Discontents then :wink:)
I don't think the IMF loans are actually too bad - in fact they are quite reasonable I believe. Below Market levels at least.

The bad part is one of the main conditions - austerity. Instead of it acting as a stimulus they must take the money but at the same time reduce govt expenditure. This means reducing welfare benefits, support to firms amongst various other Market ideas - hoping that crowding in and reducing interest rates will encourage the private sector.

How can a firm hope to reduce their defecits if they can't effectively lower u/e, support growth and help firms back onto their feet?

Perhaps something to think about :smile:
Original post by StarChamber
I don't think the IMF loans are actually too bad - in fact they are quite reasonable I believe. Below Market levels at least.

The bad part is one of the main conditions - austerity. Instead of it acting as a stimulus they must take the money but at the same time reduce govt expenditure. This means reducing welfare benefits, support to firms amongst various other Market ideas - hoping that crowding in and reducing interest rates will encourage the private sector.

How can a firm hope to reduce their defecits if they can't effectively lower u/e, support growth and help firms back onto their feet?

Perhaps something to think about :smile:

It's all part of the IMF's 'shock therapy' - whether this actually has ever worked or not I don't know?