The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2480
Original post by The Egg Militia
I love how division rivalry has taken over this thread ='D

Why did everyone pick the teams they root for?

Even before I followed NFL properly, I decided the Miami Dolphins would be my team. I think I was about 7, I had a really early Madden game on the Megadrive. I liked Florida, and would do anything to go there. Plus people like The Rock (when I used to watch that crap) was from Miami. It was my dream to live there. Also, I've always liked Dolphins :P. I started following the sport in 2003 when I took a day off school. Laying ill on the sofa, I was looking for something to watch. I came across NFL and decided to give it a go as a school friend was always raving on about it (he's a Rams fan). It was the Dolphins Vs Cowboys and we destroyed them >=] (Replay of the thanksgiving game that year). I was hooked from there. Now I pretty much bleed aqua and orange. My room is full or Dolphins plaques, posters, pictures, clocks, tickets, pennants and my wardrobe is full of jerseys. Even my walls have been painted aqua.

When the Dolphins lose, I'm in a bad mood all week. When we win, I'm the happiest guy in the world.

Cool story bro.

I started supporting the chargers due wanting the patriots and colts to lose during that season when giants won the SB.
Original post by Wattsy

Original post by Wattsy
Should be a corker.

I'm a Colts fan, I just fell in love with Payton Manning in a bromance kind of way, he just had awesome skills. I fell asleep just before the end of the Superbowl last year, how embarrassing.

Colts are probably my favourite team to watch.
Reply 2482
Original post by The Patriot
Nothing wrong with a bit of banter :colone:

I chose the Patriots on Madden 08. Me and my best friend used to play his old copy of ESPN 2K5 (with no idea how to play) and we just played as whoever. Eventually I got interested, and bought Madden 08 for ps2. Flicking through the teams, I saw the word "England" and got excited. They had red in their uniform, England in their name, and a cool QB (my favourite position lol). So I just rolled with it.

This is the main reason the majority of English NFL followers support the Pats. I have a friend who is exactly the same, saw England and fell in love.

Even before I followed NFL properly, I decided the Miami Dolphins would be my team. I think I was about 7, I had a really early Madden game on the Megadrive. I liked Florida, and would do anything to go there. Plus people like The Rock (when I used to watch that crap) was from Miami. It was my dream to live there. Also, I've always liked Dolphins :P. I started following the sport in 2003 when I took a day off school. Laying ill on the sofa, I was looking for something to watch. I came across NFL and decided to give it a go as a school friend was always raving on about it (he's a Rams fan). It was the Dolphins Vs Cowboys and we destroyed them >=] (Replay of the thanksgiving game that year). I was hooked from there. Now I pretty much bleed aqua and orange. My room is full or Dolphins plaques, posters, pictures, clocks, tickets, pennants and my wardrobe is full of jerseys. Even my walls have been painted aqua.

When the Dolphins lose, I'm in a bad mood all week. When we win, I'm the happiest guy in the world.

Cool story bro.

I choose the Bears because I like bears. Lions and Vikings I also like (not the teams) interestingly enough but as my GF has family in Chicago I took that as a tenuous reason to go for Chicago. This was my initial decision before I had watched much play.

Now I have watched a lot more I really like Pittsburgh - partially because I'm a big fan of Ben and partially because I just naturally found myself wanting them to win.
The first game I watched was the 2003 Superbowl, so I had to pick the Panthers or the Patriots. Let's just say I'm very glad I chose the team I did!

Also, ironically, I'm Irish and dislike pretty much every English national team going.

Cool story bro.

I picked the Patriots because I was starting to get into football a bit in 2001 and was sort of rooting for the underdog in the Super Bowl at the end of that season (Rams v. Pats). Based on my - at that time - tenuous grasp on the rules, I'd made the firm decision to back the team that scored the first touchdown (I'd thought of field goals as a sort of afterthought then. How wrong I'd be come the end of the game) and being a young 'un I'd listen up to that point and find out what happened the next day. Ty Law picked off Kurt Warner in the second quarter and the rest is history.

And on that note I was rather surprised to hear that NE had waived Morris, Meriweather and Tate. Morris I can maybe understand given his advancing years and being behind BJGE and Woodhead in the pecking order but the other two (Meriweather especially) have puzzled me.
Original post by AndyK67

And on that note I was rather surprised to hear that NE had waived Morris, Meriweather and Tate. Morris I can maybe understand given his advancing years and being behind BJGE and Woodhead in the pecking order but the other two (Meriweather especially) have puzzled me.

Yeah, me too. I guess Meriweather must have been very lazy in camp, come back out of shape, or the team reckoned he was in line to get in trouble with the law again. Leaves us very thin at safety...
As for Tate, we'll see how Ochocinco fits in, and Taylor Price had a good offseason. And I see the third tight end (5th round pick Smith) was also waived.
Original post by shunter7634
Yeah, me too. I guess Meriweather must have been very lazy in camp, come back out of shape, or the team reckoned he was in line to get in trouble with the law again. Leaves us very thin at safety...
As for Tate, we'll see how Ochocinco fits in, and Taylor Price had a good offseason. And I see the third tight end (5th round pick Smith) was also waived.

I'd imagine the Pats would have tried to shop him around for a trade but nobody seemed to bite. He only played the game against the Giants in preseason as well so I guess that could've contributed. On the plus side there's hopefully a bit of cap room to go out and find someone capable of the job.

Smith probably wasn't gonna get a look in with Gronk and Hernandez so it doesn't seem like a major loss for now. Tate seemed like he could be a decent kickoff returner but the new rules have screwed him there - plus a 3WR set of Ocho, Welker and Branch does seem strong and difficult to break into in any case.
Reply 2488
New Orleans are ace. They will go 12-4 this season and contend for the Superbowl. Stronger than the Falcons this year IMO. The falcons could end up in a battle with Tampa...

They're a bloody good team, but they're not good enough for every analyst to pick them for the NFC South title and for them to be the superbowl favourite according to them. They're no stronger than Atlanta though, I don't think. They're about as equal as any teams in the NFL.

Original post by AndyK67
I'd imagine the Pats would have tried to shop him around for a trade but nobody seemed to bite. He only played the game against the Giants in preseason as well so I guess that could've contributed. On the plus side there's hopefully a bit of cap room to go out and find someone capable of the job.

Smith probably wasn't gonna get a look in with Gronk and Hernandez so it doesn't seem like a major loss for now. Tate seemed like he could be a decent kickoff returner but the new rules have screwed him there - plus a 3WR set of Ocho, Welker and Branch does seem strong and difficult to break into in any case.

Meriweather was playing poorly. He had a pro-bowl calibre season in 2009, but 2010 was very poor. Players are supposed to improve, not drop off after 3 years. Forgetting about depth for a moment, BB did the right thing dropping him. In this article, the stats show why he was dropped. The numbers (if you cbf to read) in 2009 (the deserved pro-bowl year) QBs had a rating of 64.7 when throwing on Meriweather. In 2010, they had a rating of 100.7 when throwing on him (and that's the year when Devin McCourty (the corner on his side) had a great year) which helped Meriweather out.

On a separate, more interesting note, every single player drafted by the Pats in 2007 is no longer on the team. A weird blooper from BB, who's drafts are usually fantastic!
Reply 2490
Go on MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES!

Best team in the NFL!!!!
Original post by Phatzo
Go on MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES!

Best team in the NFL!!!!

Good joke lol.
Just did my 6th draft and I am now in 6 leagues.

I think I have Roethlistburger in 4 of them then Vick and Brady in the other two. I think I have Hines Ward in 5 of them as well :lol:
Meriweather was playing poorly. He had a pro-bowl calibre season in 2009, but 2010 was very poor. Players are supposed to improve, not drop off after 3 years. Forgetting about depth for a moment, BB did the right thing dropping him. In this article, the stats show why he was dropped. The numbers (if you cbf to read) in 2009 (the deserved pro-bowl year) QBs had a rating of 64.7 when throwing on Meriweather. In 2010, they had a rating of 100.7 when throwing on him (and that's the year when Devin McCourty (the corner on his side) had a great year) which helped Meriweather out.

On a separate, more interesting note, every single player drafted by the Pats in 2007 is no longer on the team. A weird blooper from BB, who's drafts are usually fantastic!

Was looking at the stats and the Pats finished 30th in the league in pass defense, which suggests a major problem in that area of the field with the exception of McCourty's cracking rookie season. That could well have been a result of Meriweather's subpar season.

That is a rather intriguing note there. Not a vintage draft from BB by any standards as it would seem. Then again he did use a few picks to trade for Wes Welker and Randy Moss so it wasn't all bad in the end.
Original post by AndyK67
That is a rather intriguing note there. Not a vintage draft from BB by any standards as it would seem. Then again he did use a few picks to trade for Wes Welker and Randy Moss so it wasn't all bad in the end.

Yeah, you wouldn't expect very many of the 4th/5th/6th rounders to still be around after 4 years, so really Meriweather is the only "bust", and we got 3 good seasons out of him.
Yeah, you wouldn't expect very many of the 4th/5th/6th rounders to still be around after 4 years, so really Meriweather is the only "bust", and we got 3 good seasons out of him.

Luckily we have one of the 6th rounders to come good. :biggrin:

Seems he's away to Chicago to join the Bears. Could be a good move for them if he recovers his form.

1* great season, 1* OK rookie season, and 1* disappointing 3rd year as a pro.
1* great season, 1* OK rookie season, and 1* disappointing 3rd year as a pro.

Still better than Maroney.
Still better than Maroney.

Yes. Although they remind me of each other.

Both highly talented. Both had huge potential. Both showed flashes of brilliance and headscratching clangers.

Overall, both fell short of their potential. However I agree that Meriweather had better highs than Maroney...
Original post by paddy__power
Just did my 6th draft and I am now in 6 leagues.

I think I have Roethlistburger in 4 of them then Vick and Brady in the other two. I think I have Hines Ward in 5 of them as well :lol:

Hines Ward is a steal! I'm sure he's ranked like 140th. Did you pick him in our draft cos someone stole him from me on like the pick before mine? If you did, I hate you :colonhash: