The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DJkG.1
5kg in a month is a stupid aim.

I've managed 1.5-2kg before - eat hard, train hard, then eat, train, eat...

What happened to your reps brah? I swear you used to have 3 green squares.
Reply 61
Original post by -Invidious-
What happened to your reps brah? I swear you used to have 3 green squares.

Lol I dunno, I used to have bare rep before the change too.

Haters be hatin' I guess...
Original post by Widowmaker
Are you asking me how long it takes the people I've trained to become an intermediate? I could give you dozens of different answers. It depends on your motivation, your consistency with training, eating, and sleeping, and whether your gym is adequate to the task of transforming you into a mouth frothing beast (does it have a squat rack? Can you do deadlifts there? Does it even have a free weight section that doesn't just include dumbbells?)

@OP, I would typically start (as a novice) with the Rippetoe's Practical Programming Novice Program:

This, and depending on initial body composition (are you fat, are you skinny, or are you both?), I'd suggest up to 6000 calories per day. Lots of fat, lots of protein, moderate carbs, in a nutshell. It will be more expensive to train this way, the skinnier you are (because of the food you'll be eating). The goal here is not to make you fat, but neither does it matter whether you can see your abs or not. Get stronger and bigger before you decide to lose weight as an inexperienced lifter. I don't recommend GOMAD for the skinny guy, but I do suggest milk in and of itself... easy calories.

Obviously, odds are you won't like what I'm telling you, because it takes commitment, and a routine that you may have to follow stringently. But it's a small price to pay for a strong and healthy physique.

Average Rippletoe nut-hugger.

Good luck on your aesthetic goals of 2012.
Original post by DJkG.1
Lol I dunno, I used to have bare rep before the change too.

Haters be hatin' I guess...

Same thing happened to me; was nearing 4 then i posted in an Islam thread and went down to 2.
Original post by Ifeelsoeducation
Average Rippletoe nut-hugger.

Good luck on your aesthetic goals of 2012.

It's a shame you mistake appreciation for sycophancy. And like many I don't care about how I look, just how I perform. I wonder what makes you feel like attacking me personally. Did you get beaten up by a strong kid? Are you just a weak pussy? While you end up suffering from ****ed up joints, high blood pressure, a messed up blood lipid profile and all other typical cases of elderly sedentary people, I'll likely be highly mobile into my 70s... and everyone else "nut-hugging".

Again, it's a terrible shame. My intentions are clear in this thread, while yours seem to point towards some kind of grudge against people who like to offer their opinions.
It's a shame you mistake appreciation for sycophancy. And like many I don't care about how I look, just how I perform. I wonder what makes you feel like attacking me personally. Did you get beaten up by a strong kid? Are you just a weak pussy? While you end up suffering from ****ed up joints, high blood pressure, a messed up blood lipid profile and all other typical cases of elderly sedentary people, I'll likely be highly mobile into my 70s... and everyone else "nut-hugging".

Again, it's a terrible shame. My intentions are clear in this thread, while yours seem to point towards some kind of grudge against people who like to offer their opinions.

It's not personal. You're just the typical SS tool, who was a skinny fag who hopped on ss, got noobs gains, thought wow this is amazing and stuck with it. From the advice you've given it's fair to assume you actually have a very limited knowledge with regards to bodybuilding and strength training. You're just a sheep regurgitating what you've been told by Rippletoe. It's painful to read, and i have to read this same **** all the time. So please, hush your gums.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ifeelsoeducation
It's not personal. You're just the typical SS tool, who was a skinny fag who hopped on ss, got noobs gains, thought wow this is amazing and stuck with it. From the advice you've given it's fair to assume you actually have a very limited knowledge with regards to bodybuilding and strength training. You're just a sheep regurgitating what you've been told by Rippletoe. It's painful to read, and i have to read this same **** all the time. So please, hush your gums.

Here's another regurgitation, since you're being so respectful:

"You can't make people smarter. You can provide them with information, but your responsibility stops there". - Rippetoe

I hope you realize that a complex approach to a simple question is far from my objective, here. "From the advice I've given..."? I offered the basic advice, and gave suggestions that work best for someone with absolutely no history of training with free weights. The first 50%, not the last 5%. Should I start mentioning the complexities of exercise physiology now? Maybe a dissertation? You ****ing idiot. Please improve yourself.

Edit: You've read the same **** all the time, huh? So where did that lead you? Please provide your training history and stats to support your own contribution, and your derision to my own, for this thread please. And please offer the intricate details that I SHOULD have gave to OP in order to start him off successfully.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by widowmaker
here's another regurgitation, since you're being so respectful:

"you can't make people smarter. You can provide them with information, but your responsibility stops there". - rippetoe

i hope you realize that a complex approach to a simple question is far from my objective, here. "from the advice i've given..."? I offered the basic advice, and gave suggestions that work best for someone with absolutely no history of training with free weights. The first 50%, not the last 5%. Should i start mentioning the complexities of exercise physiology now? Maybe a dissertation? You ****ing idiot. Please improve yourself.

Edit: You've read the same **** all the time, huh? So where did that lead you? Please provide your training history and stats to support your own contribution, and your derision to my own, for this thread please. And please offer the intricate details that i should have gave to op in order to start him off successfully.

ahahahhahaa
(edited 12 years ago)
Dunning and Kruger have spoken.

I genuinely feel for idiots who make their stupidity public.

P.S. You haven't answered my question. Or perhaps this is your way of avoiding embarrassment? Anonymous pussy.
(edited 12 years ago)
Dunning and Kruger have spoken.

I genuinely feel for idiots who make their stupidity public.

P.S. You haven't answered my question. Or perhaps this is your way of avoiding embarrassment? Anonymous pussy.

Hah, yes i feel for you too bro. You ate it all up. Unlucky, fag. Better luck next time.
You were intentionally trying to piss me off from the start? Why? My god man... what kind of life do you have? This is saddening.
You were intentionally trying to piss me off from the start? Why? My god man... what kind of life do you have? This is saddening.

*Golf claps*
I can't even begin to describe how sad this is. You've just said so much about your character and the kind of person you are. Freak...
Reply 73
yes - I have gained 5 kgs in a month and its not fat - comes down to your genes and diet - i'm busy strength training to bulk up, i'm racking up 1.5kg a week - get the app on your phone called mynetdiary
I did this. I gained 5 kg in 1 month and a few days, with no noticeable fat gain. You need to just take your normal 3 large meals per day. Dont force feed it only discourages you. In between those large meals fit two high calorie protein shakes, and then after dinner it's free reign. Light physical activity during the day helps your appetite. A standard 3 day per week workout plan did it for me.
Hey guys,

I started a new youtube channel recently, I post Bulking recipes ad well as those on a cut/ healthy meals in general. It would be great if you could me out, it could help you think of ideas for when you are meal prepping!

My youtube is Gourmet Gym Kitchen

p.s I also work out all the macros so you don't have to :smile:
Reply 76
Idk how but without trying I gained 10 kg. I just had a really poor sleep schedule, ate more, worked out, snacked a substantial amount and dealt with anxiety.
I’ve gained 5kgs in 3 weeks yet still dropped a dress size. I have oats for breakfast, chicken and broccoli for lunch and dinner with protein bars and pb sandwiches for snacks. I also go to the gym and pick up heavy things and put the back down as my doctor calls it. All I do is squats and deadlifts. Sometimes I do ab specific exercises and inverted leg press if I feel like it or have time. But my goal is not to gain weight. I put on muscle too easily and it’s frustrating. So I’ve just dropped my weights down so see if that will help to just maintain muscle and lose fat. *heres hoping* yours sincerely, sexy beefcakette
just buy a mass gainer, I would recommend optimum nutrition serious mass. And what you gotta do is basically count calories in everything you eat. Its hard but it ain't impossible, I'm at 5 ft 7 and I ate around 3000 kcal a day lifting weights, I gained 8 kg in a month, 2 kg every week.

Latest