The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hasm
It 3 days, 4 hours per day since i wanted evening. so that would be health and safety.

Then a day later 5-11 evening, checkouts training, and then saturday 9-6, which might be me working on the checkouts or something with a supervisor however this is not my shift.

Also on the saturday 9-6 how many breaks do i have, how long is 1 break and roughly when will i have the breaks.

Also the friday where i will do 5-11 when will i have the break?

For the 5-11 I would get a 20 minute break and for the 9-6 you will get a 45 minute break which can be split into a 30 and 15 minute break. You might also get a lunch break for the 9-6 which is a hour unpaid usually 12 - 2pm. It depends on your trainer when you will get the breaks.
Reply 9421
Original post by hasm
It 3 days, 4 hours per day since i wanted evening. so that would be health and safety.

Then a day later 5-11 evening, checkouts training, and then saturday 9-6, which might be me working on the checkouts or something with a supervisor however this is not my shift.

Also on the saturday 9-6 how many breaks do i have, how long is 1 break and roughly when will i have the breaks.

Also the friday where i will do 5-11 when will i have the break?

I work on counters and I have not been checkout trained. That and all people who work on counters are "counter assistants" if your job title is "customer service assistant" then you are most likely going to be working on checkouts. That and the fact that they have still employed you although you are under 18 really makes me think that you're not going to be on counters like you said in your earlier posts.

For a nine hour shift (9-6) I get one 30 minute paid break and one hour unpaid lunch break. Anything less than that is normally one 30 minute or 20/15 minute break :smile:
Reply 9422
Original post by JemMills

Original post by JemMills
I work on counters and I have not been checkout trained. That and all people who work on counters are "counter assistants" if your job title is "customer service assistant" then you are most likely going to be working on checkouts. That and the fact that they have still employed you although you are under 18 really makes me think that you're not going to be on counters like you said in your earlier posts.

For a nine hour shift (9-6) I get one 30 minute paid break and one hour unpaid lunch break. Anything less than that is normally one 30 minute or 20/15 minute break :smile:

whats the difference between, "counter assistant" and "customer service assistant" when they both are the same thing?

And yes i am allowed on the counter but selling alcohol i have to get it authorised by someone over 18.
Reply 9423
Also what is the difference between counter and checkout? LOL
Original post by hasm
Also what is the difference between counter and checkout? LOL

A counter is a counter and a checkout is a checkout? :biggrin:

Checkouts are dedicated to customers paying. A counter is where customers can purchase certain products 'over the counter' e.g. meat, bakery etc. I believe they have been able to pay at this point too but I'm not sure how regular this is these days.
Reply 9425
A counter is the meat, fish, deli and bakery counters where we sell meat, fish, cheese, cakes etc which is a very different area of work to a checkout :biggrin:

Being a counter assistant involves completely different skills to working on checkouts and is an entirely different department. LOL you must have got confused :P
Original post by vampireweekend93
does anyone know if we get discount tickets for sainsburys super Saturday? :smile:

We get 10% discount on the tickets, but at the moment the coupon machines are chucking out vouchers for half price tickets. If you google it I'm sure it'll tell you the code for the half price offer :smile:
Hey all! I recently applied (and got the job) for Warehouse Assistant. Super excited as this is my first job (well.. 2nd if you count an over the counter assistant job at a pharmacy i had for the summer) can't wait to join the Sainsburysssss team :biggrin:

Any current Warehouse Assistants out there with some tips? Would greatly appreciate it :h:

Also, what's it like working at Sainburys?? From what i've read, it seems to mostly come down to the people working at your store :P
Original post by Slapstick
Hey all! I recently applied (and got the job) for Warehouse Assistant. Super excited as this is my first job (well.. 2nd if you count an over the counter assistant job at a pharmacy i had for the summer) can't wait to join the Sainsburysssss team :biggrin:

Any current Warehouse Assistants out there with some tips? Would greatly appreciate it :h:

Also, what's it like working at Sainburys?? From what i've read, it seems to mostly come down to the people working at your store :P

Oh yes :biggrin:

Also, I'd hate the warehouse due to it being even dirtier than the main store :frown: Be careful.
Reply 9429
Hi, I'm new to this site so hopefully I've not posted this on the wrong thread :biggrin:
Anyway, I've got a job for a customer service assistant role at a Sainsbury's in Surrey. I'm nearly 17 and my induction is very soon. Can anyone confirm that I will definitely be working on the checkout? I wasn't sure if I would be working on the customer service desk or on the checkout, I'm hoping it's checkouts. Also my induction is 2 days long, and if I am on checkouts, will my till training be within those 2 days? Thank you for taking the time to read this! :biggrin:
Original post by gbc715
Hi, I'm new to this site so hopefully I've not posted this on the wrong thread :biggrin:
Anyway, I've got a job for a customer service assistant role at a Sainsbury's in Surrey. I'm nearly 17 and my induction is very soon. Can anyone confirm that I will definitely be working on the checkout? I wasn't sure if I would be working on the customer service desk or on the checkout, I'm hoping it's checkouts. Also my induction is 2 days long, and if I am on checkouts, will my till training be within those 2 days? Thank you for taking the time to read this! :biggrin:

You'll probably be put on checkouts to start with, but when you've been there a while you'll likely get to do kiosk/selfscan/the desk too.
In my store we had two days induction and then another full day of checkout training so I'd say your store will probably be similar/the same.
Reply 9431
Original post by Slapstick

Hi, I do warehouse regularly :smile:. It varies from store to store as to what tasks the warehouse team are expected to do.

Most importantly, you will unload lorries from Sainsbury's depots, ensuring that the seal number and temperature is correct and the right number of things come off. If you work mornings you will get lorries from external suppliers (like milk, bread, couriers) that you have to bring in. You will be responsible for scanning all the delivery paperwork into the system and if it's a Sainsbury's delivery you'll pick the out-of-stocks off the delivery so that they can be put out straight away.

In some stores you might have to sort deliveries ready for the night shift, you might be expected to empty the baler, tidy the warehouse, put out MUs on the shopfloor (they're like movable bits of plastic with tins of beans or cartons of juice on) or potentially sort out the dry goods racking (moving stuff with more than 5 cases onto it, less down off of it and picking off things that need to go out).

I wouldn't worry too much, there's lots of training to go with the role to support you and the time usually passes pretty quickly.
Original post by jjgoth
Hi, I do warehouse regularly :smile:. It varies from store to store as to what tasks the warehouse team are expected to do.

Most importantly, you will unload lorries from Sainsbury's depots, ensuring that the seal number and temperature is correct and the right number of things come off. If you work mornings you will get lorries from external suppliers (like milk, bread, couriers) that you have to bring in. You will be responsible for scanning all the delivery paperwork into the system and if it's a Sainsbury's delivery you'll pick the out-of-stocks off the delivery so that they can be put out straight away.

In some stores you might have to sort deliveries ready for the night shift, you might be expected to empty the baler, tidy the warehouse, put out MUs on the shopfloor (they're like movable bits of plastic with tins of beans or cartons of juice on) or potentially sort out the dry goods racking (moving stuff with more than 5 cases onto it, less down off of it and picking off things that need to go out).

I wouldn't worry too much, there's lots of training to go with the role to support you and the time usually passes pretty quickly.

Thanks a lot for the info! Sounds like it's a pretty active job, which i'm looking forward to because at my summer job, it was a new pharmacy and veeery slow... so it was boring. But i think this job will keep me on my toes so :biggrin: 2 days a week, 14 hours, so shouldn't be too taxing on my body nonetheless. Is it true that sooner or later i'll get till trained? and then maybe doing overtime? I'd really like that, or are warehouse guys just strictly warehouse only?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9433
HATING price control at the moment. One downfall of convenience team leading is that you need to know everything - price control, code checking, cash office, merchandising, management. GAHHHHH
Reply 9434
Can I please just say that if you are going to resign, stick to the date you say is going to be your last. Or if you are just going to stop turning up please phone in and let the store know. In the last week 3 colleagues on my department have stopped coming in after only just handing in their notice. It is rather frustrating to say the least.
Original post by WDooley1
HATING price control at the moment. One downfall of convenience team leading is that you need to know everything - price control, code checking, cash office, merchandising, management. GAHHHHH

I do price control and cash office so I know how you feel about those.

Original post by tubbsy
Can I please just say that if you are going to resign, stick to the date you say is going to be your last. Or if you are just going to stop turning up please phone in and let the store know. In the last week 3 colleagues on my department have stopped coming in after only just handing in their notice. It is rather frustrating to say the least.

One of our colleague last day was on new years eve so I understand how you feel about them not turning up on their last shift.
I'm leaving my Store, I've worked their for about 9 months, and I'm leaving to go to uni, as I was unable to get a transfer, does anyone know what I'll have to return when I leave? I was given 2 shirts, a pair of trousers, a Jacket and a pair of shoes.
Original post by BefuddledPenguin
I'm leaving my Store, I've worked their for about 9 months, and I'm leaving to go to uni, as I was unable to get a transfer, does anyone know what I'll have to return when I leave? I was given 2 shirts, a pair of trousers, a Jacket and a pair of shoes.

That is rubbish about the transfer. I had to leave in June for the same [but also opposite] reason - I had finished uni and they wouldn't give me a transfer to a store near home. :frown:

I only had a shirt uniform-wise - despite ordering it twice, the rest of my stuff never arrived. So, I didn't return it [I was wearing it when I left lol] and no one said anything.

I had to return my staff discount, my ID badges, locker key etc. :smile:
Original post by affinity89
That is rubbish about the transfer. I had to leave in June for the same [but also opposite] reason - I had finished uni and they wouldn't give me a transfer to a store near home. :frown:

I only had a shirt uniform-wise - despite ordering it twice, the rest of my stuff never arrived. So, I didn't return it [I was wearing it when I left lol] and no one said anything.

I had to return my staff discount, my ID badges, locker key etc. :smile:

Terrific. Cheers.
Reply 9439
Had my first aid course today, three of us were there lol. Couldn't believe it!

Was good, I'm now qualified in basic first aid, hope I never have to use it mind you!

I am SOOO excited for pay day this Friday, even if it is already spent! :P

Latest

Trending

Trending