The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

this thread will come alive around december time :colone:
Original post by hassi94
Don't worry that's fine it's worth mentioning :smile: A lot of applicants won't have any at all, and these people who are getting into BMO2 etc are certainly not the rule and are quite the exception.

My one claim is qualifying for the Intermediate Maths challenge in Year 10 which was only open to the top 500 scorers of the MC :biggrin:

This is right. 100 people across all ages get into BMO2 each year, so I reckon there are about 30-40 people in our application cycle who have got in, most of whom (I assume) will be applying for maths.
Original post by cpdavis
Decided on 5 options? :sexface:

Nop :frown: (insert non-sexface) hehe. I'm still stuck on Cambridge, Warwick, UCL, Southampton, was thinking Kings but it's rather competitive i want a safe one. Maybe something like Nottingham but i havent even started to look at it lol.
Original post by hassi94
Don't worry that's fine it's worth mentioning :smile: A lot of applicants won't have any at all, and these people who are getting into BMO2 etc are certainly not the rule and are quite the exception.

My one claim is qualifying for the Intermediate Maths challenge in Year 10 which was only open to the top 500 scorers of the MC :biggrin:

Thank you :smile: I will mention it! I've done it 5 times out of 6 school years so... Was it even available in year 7?? yeah at my school a few people would get through to the kangeroo but there was these two very clever boys who got a medal each year!!!! Don't know what that means :P

Really? Ooh well done!! :smile:

Original post by Rahul.S
this thread will come alive around december time :colone:

Why's that??
Original post by BeccaCath94

Why's that??

Because people will be having interviews and waiting for offers :smile: I'd imagine the Cambridge Applicants thread will be much more alive around then, though :tongue:
Original post by BeccaCath94
Thank you :smile: I will mention it! I've done it 5 times out of 6 school years so... Was it even available in year 7?? yeah at my school a few people would get through to the kangeroo but there was these two very clever boys who got a medal each year!!!! Don't know what that means :P

Really? Ooh well done!! :smile:

Why's that??

the reason hassi gave :colone:
Original post by twig
In contrast to the above posts, I have actually mentioned the MCs in more detail, basically stating the main achievements.

Seeing as other applicants are only using ~1 line for it, is it recommended to shorten the MCs stuff on the PS?

It really depends what you have and want to talk about - I did some team maths challenge as well so that was another sentence.
Reply 1127
Original post by TheTallOne
It really depends what you have and want to talk about - I did some team maths challenge as well so that was another sentence.

OK, my lines should be relevant. Need to sort out my opening now.
Original post by Jampolo
Nop :frown: (insert non-sexface) hehe. I'm still stuck on Cambridge, Warwick, UCL, Southampton, was thinking Kings but it's rather competitive i want a safe one. Maybe something like Nottingham but i havent even started to look at it lol.

what are your AS grades and maths UMS?
Oh, just found this lolz.
(edited 12 years ago)
Someone please clarify for me if Warwick automatic offer is based on the prediction of AAA or AAB? It must be one of the other and the divide of people telling me one or the other is destroying me inside slowly. :'( The site says AAB but some people have told me at the open day they said AAA -_- I don't know what to think anymore Lol.
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Someone please clarify for me if Warwick automatic offer is based on the prediction of AAA or AAB? It must be one of the other and the divide of people telling me one or the other is destroying me inside slowly. :'( The site says AAB but some people have told me at the open day they said AAA -_- I don't know what to think anymore Lol.

I think they auto-offer you if you seem to have a good chance of getting in, and AAB certainly shows a good chance. But email them. Unis respond pretty quickly usually :smile:
Original post by Xero Xenith
I think they auto-offer you if you seem to have a good chance of getting in, and AAB certainly shows a good chance. But email them. Unis respond pretty quickly usually :smile:

With my current AS's my chances would be next to zero. :/ I do plan on working much harder this year though.

Your grades are great, which unis you shooting for? :smile:

EDIT: Your grades are amazing. :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1133
Post-A2 applicant here, except... I haven't done maths at school since GCSE (I've changed my mind about what to study at uni). Doing maths + further maths (i.e. 12 modules) this year. Let's see how this goes :awesome: Probably a long shot, but anyone in a similar position?
Original post by hassi94

The competition that you qualified for was the Intermediate Maths Olympiad.
Original post by tiny hobbit
The competition that you qualified for was the Intermediate Maths Olympiad.

That's what I meant to write haha - it is written as that in my personal statement - just wasn't paying much attention when writing that sentence there.
Original post by scherzi
Post-A2 applicant here, except... I haven't done maths at school since GCSE (I've changed my mind about what to study at uni). Doing maths + further maths (i.e. 12 modules) this year. Let's see how this goes :awesome: Probably a long shot, but anyone in a similar position?

It's great to hear more people changing their minds and going for maths! :smile: I'm sure you could do it if you're passionate (and talented!). Wish you the best of luck!
Is MMORSE at Warwick considered as a maths degree? :confused:
Original post by cpdavis
what are your AS grades and maths UMS?

aaab.
87% for maths(further and single), everything was in high 80's and above except D1 and D2 :frown:
Original post by TheTallOne
Assumptions:

For the 2009-10 admissions cycle, Durham had:
1145 applicants, of which they made
507 offers (be it conditional or unconditional), of which
273 firmed or insured, of which
143 entered Durham either in 2010 or deferred to 2011.

So Durham (with a comparatively easier A*AA offer) made offers to 44.3% of applicants, of which 53.8% of them firmed or insured and of them 52.4% eventually got into Durham - giving 8 applicants per place. That's still a high offer percentage, no?

Do you think the same figures are apparent for similar Unis such as Warwick, Bath and even UCL? Of course, I expect Oxford and LSE to be less.

Latest