The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 94george94

It's all part of the IMF's 'shock therapy' - whether this actually has ever worked or not I don't know?

I'm not a fan of neo-liberalism :no: ... in this context at least.
Original post by StarChamber
I'm not a fan of neo-liberalism :no: ... in this context at least.

Personally i don't believe neo-liberalism works at all, can we actually trust a fully market-driven economy? Will it really find the best allocation of scarce resources? Take China for example, it's far from being a completely market driven economy, it's international trade is still pretty barred, and one could argue that it's rise as an economic power is down to the implication of good social policy, rather than an outright focus on economics.
Personally i don't believe neo-liberalism works at all, can we actually trust a fully market-driven economy? Will it really find the best allocation of scarce resources? Take China for example, it's far from being a completely market driven economy, it's international trade is still pretty barred, and one could argue that it's rise as an economic power is down to the implication of good social policy, rather than an outright focus on economics.

I agree, although a liberalised market works works more efficiently, the government is still needed to correct market failures that the markets cannot solve on their own. For example: the deregulation of monopolies, unemployment benefits are arguable and property rights. :biggrin:
Not to mention all the conditionalities that the IMF impose on the recipient country. They'll impose the Washington Consensus, throw money at Greece to keep a stable exchange rate/ keep inflation low, whilst in the meantime ignoring the economists of Greece.

Just thought I'd point out they have accepted some of their mistakes in regards to this and have said they'll change their policy :cool:
Original post by Psychotic546
Just thought I'd point out they have accepted some of their mistakes in regards to this and have said they'll change their policy :cool:

That's all good and proper, but one cannot forget the masses of countries that have had stunted growth due to the IMF. I'll believe they've changed their policies when I see it put into action.

At the end of the day the IMF is like 2girls1cup... it's just full of **** really. :colone:
Original post by Psychotic546

I don't think that's good enough! Let's see when they actually change policy.

That's all good and proper, but one cannot forget the masses of countries that have had stunted growth due to the IMF. I'll believe they've changed their policies when I see it put into action.

At the end of the day the IMF is like 2girls1cup... it's just full of **** really. :colone:

:lolwut:

I rest my case.

An...erm...interesting analogy... :K:

One of the most random comparisions I have read in a while :rofl:
Original post by nightmare91
One of the most random comparisions I have read in a while :rofl:

Sorry, I've spent too much time doing MUN...
Sorry, I've spent too much time doing MUN...

I rep'd your post because it made me laugh :biggrin:... Kind of need that right now. School work is killing me...
:colonhash:

Unfortunately I have on idea what you lot are on about anymore so cannot select a random youtube video for this occasion.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by perrytheplatypus

Original post by perrytheplatypus
:colonhash:

Unfortunately I have on idea what you lot are on about anymore so cannot select a random youtube video for this occasion.

I think these can be brought out on any occasion. Especially in this thread :h: I confess I have no idea what's going on either. Perhaps this can provide some education and entertainment.

Just going to leave this one here aswell:

And if we wanna buy it cheap, who do we go to? CHINA/
Even though our stuff is finer/
'cause their whole workforce is made up of minors

Expect to see that in my next exam...
Reply 2454
Nottingham officially changed their entry requirements aaaargh i wanted at least one uni choice with a AAA offer...

3 'A' levels at A*AA-AAA grades (or A*ABB-AABB if taking 4 subjects). Not including General Studies.
Reply 2455
Yeah I'm planning on self teaching FM this year, but I need to speak to the school about entering me into the exams. If so I'd be doing FP1, S2, D1.

Good idea, I want to do S2 instead of M1 but my school are being silly at the moment :rolleyes: I also spoke to admissions for my course, and they said that its the A2 further maths that would help, so doing just the AS wouldn't really bolster applications (remember this is not for economics).
Original post by expopyro
Nottingham officially changed their entry requirements aaaargh i wanted at least one uni choice with a AAA offer...

3 'A' levels at A*AA-AAA grades (or A*ABB-AABB if taking 4 subjects). Not including General Studies.

I'm wondering what the general offer in 5 years looks like. A*A*A*? They've got to change something... grade inflation!!
Reply 2457
Original post by expopyro

That's quite reasonable. I wonder what makes them decide between giving A*AA offers or AAA offers, though. :s-smilie:
Original post by nightmare91
I'm wondering what the general offer in 5 years looks like. A*A*A*? They've got to change something... grade inflation!!

The reason for grade inflation is that people who don't need to be doing degrees are going to uni based on the some omnipresent idea that it's some sort of 'social club.'
The reason for grade inflation is that people who don't need to be doing degrees are going to uni based on the some omnipresent idea that it's some sort of 'social club.'

You're conflating two issues here. Firstly grade inflation is political, 'the public' (read: the media) will go crazy if (heaven forbid) exam results stayed the same or fell from year to year (as obviously that means something is wrong with the education system :rolleyes:). Then there is the issue that too many people are going to university, which is partly due to what you say, but also partly due to Labour's ridiculous push for 50% of people going to uni (so, once again, political reasons). These issues are only linked insofar as unis then need to ask for higher grades to make sure they're getting students of the required ability.

Latest

Trending

Trending