The Student Room Group

Anthropology Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Oh, there's a thread for 2012 anthropology applicants! I'll be here often, then...

Looking mainly at Brunel, Goldsmiths and Kent... Need to do a lot more research into the courses, though! Anyone else looking at these unis? :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by takethyfacehence
I'll c+p what I said in another of these threads just now!

I now have an unconditional for Social Anthropology BSocSci (3/4 year) at Manchester, for 2012. I applied for 2011 entry and missed my offer, ya see. My grades are ABC taken over 3 years, though I had extenuating circumstances. I can't wait! I vaguely know someone who's just completed their 1st year doing this course, and she said she loves it... I hope I will!

Are you thinking of doing a year abroad? :smile:

I was looking at Manchester but replaced it with Edinburgh.. :')
Right now, it seems like it'll be SOAS, LSE, UCL, St.Andrews and Edinburgh. Anyone else applying for any of these five?
Reply 22
Original post by Remy-Rae
Are you thinking of doing a year abroad? :smile:

I was looking at Manchester but replaced it with Edinburgh.. :')
Right now, it seems like it'll be SOAS, LSE, UCL, St.Andrews and Edinburgh. Anyone else applying for any of these five?

I am completely in love with SOAS, is that your first choice?
Unfortunately I am aiming for (with one resit this year) ABB, so a little out of my league! And we have no universities in common, oh well ;'D. At least we share our amazing taste in degree! :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by Megin
I am completely in love with SOAS, is that your first choice?
Unfortunately I am aiming for (with one resit this year) ABB, so a little out of my league! And we have no universities in common, oh well ;'D. At least we share our amazing taste in degree! :smile:

I'm not sure yet, it depends on whichever one accepts me, I'll decide then. I'm pretty much in love with SOAS, LSE and UCL. They all look amazing! Haha, yes..amazing taste :smile:
Where are you looking at?
Reply 24
I'm not sure yet, it depends on whichever one accepts me, I'll decide then. I'm pretty much in love with SOAS, LSE and UCL. They all look amazing! Haha, yes..amazing taste :smile:
Where are you looking at?

Well, I'm looking at a couple of London(ish) unis - Brunel, Goldsmiths. And then Kent, Southampton... then Birkbeck or Oxford Brookes as the 5th choice. The thing is, it would be better for me to go to Kent or Southampton based on rankings (I should end up with ABB(a), but I swear most London unis want AAA-AAB or then BBCish!), but I'm more or less in love with London... thankfully I have a while until I have to decide for sure! But I'm swaying towards Goldsmiths or Kent.

I went to a taster course for languages at UCL - so great there, too! The lecturers are so friendly. I haven't actually visited any of my choices yet, hoping I'll be just as impressed! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
x

Original post by Megin
x

you guys' choices look great! i wish you the best of luck. to an earlier question, yes i'm looking to do a year abroad at manc, which will make my degree social anth + international study! i'm afraid i can't say much in particular about the unis you two are looking at, since i decided to boycott london because of the priceyness and i live nearby so i wanted a bit of a change. (plus i fell in love with manchester) the only one i have a crossover with is kent, they gave me an offer, though i declined. i personally felt kent didn't look my cup of tea - wanted to be in a city, and such. they have some great opportunities with studying abroad tho! i did actually look at goldsmiths actually, before i decided against london, and the course looked very good.

my five choices were manchester, sussex, durham, kent and queen's belfast which all gave me offers (!) if you guys want a second opinion on them at all.
Reply 26
you guys' choices look great! i wish you the best of luck. to an earlier question, yes i'm looking to do a year abroad at manc, which will make my degree social anth + international study! i'm afraid i can't say much in particular about the unis you two are looking at, since i decided to boycott london because of the priceyness and i live nearby so i wanted a bit of a change. (plus i fell in love with manchester) the only one i have a crossover with is kent, they gave me an offer, though i declined. i personally felt kent didn't look my cup of tea - wanted to be in a city, and such. they have some great opportunities with studying abroad tho! i did actually look at goldsmiths actually, before i decided against london, and the course looked very good.

my five choices were manchester, sussex, durham, kent and queen's belfast which all gave me offers (!) if you guys want a second opinion on them at all.

Aaah, I was going to apply for Manc but I live right in the South and I didn't want to move too far away from home (but far enough that my parents aren't always visiting! my dad is completely against the congestion charges so London is the perfect choice :P)

I think I saw you're going in 2012? Anything anthropology-based planned for this year, or? :smile:
Original post by Megin
Aaah, I was going to apply for Manc but I live right in the South and I didn't want to move too far away from home (but far enough that my parents aren't always visiting! my dad is completely against the congestion charges so London is the perfect choice :P)

I think I saw you're going in 2012? Anything anthropology-based planned for this year, or? :smile:

Ahh I couldn't resist Manchester's charms :smile: Yep, I'm off next September! Looking to do a 6 month VSO placement this year, fingers crossed.
Reply 28
Ahh I couldn't resist Manchester's charms :smile: Yep, I'm off next September! Looking to do a 6 month VSO placement this year, fingers crossed.

Oh, sounds great! Good luck for that!
The most adventurous I'm going to get is some package holiday to Europe with one of my friends... location undecided xD
Original post by Megin
Oh, there's a thread for 2012 anthropology applicants! I'll be here often, then...

Looking mainly at Brunel, Goldsmiths and Kent... Need to do a lot more research into the courses, though! Anyone else looking at these unis? :smile:

I don't know about the course at Kent, but I went to a conference put on mainly by the department, and they looked really incredible. The conference was about psychedelics, and showed that they have a good number of great lecturers who are doing and supporting research in areas far from the norm, which is nice.
Reply 30
Original post by dancinginrainbows
I don't know about the course at Kent, but I went to a conference put on mainly by the department, and they looked really incredible. The conference was about psychedelics, and showed that they have a good number of great lecturers who are doing and supporting research in areas far from the norm, which is nice.

Oh, thanks for mentioning that! I've been looking at so many places but so many departments just seem so... average and the same as everywhere else. I've actually only been hearing good things about Kent at the moment though, so waiting to book my place on their open day and have a look around! I think it's definitely between Kent and Goldsmiths as my first choice for me now, just have to get my UCAS going... scary stuff.

Are you applying, or? I'm awful at remembering things, so sorry if I've seen you post before! :smile:
Original post by Megin
Oh, thanks for mentioning that! I've been looking at so many places but so many departments just seem so... average and the same as everywhere else. I've actually only been hearing good things about Kent at the moment though, so waiting to book my place on their open day and have a look around! I think it's definitely between Kent and Goldsmiths as my first choice for me now, just have to get my UCAS going... scary stuff.

Are you applying, or? I'm awful at remembering things, so sorry if I've seen you post before! :smile:

Aye, the staff were all absolutely lovely, too, and people I know in the department all love it there.

I'm not applying for Anthropology, no :frown: I'm going to do PP/PPE, but will choose at least one uni that lets me take Anthropology in the first year alongside Philosophy and Politics :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by dancinginrainbows
Aye, the staff were all absolutely lovely, too, and people I know in the department all love it there.

I'm not applying for Anthropology, no :frown: I'm going to do PP/PPE, but will choose at least one uni that lets me take Anthropology in the first year alongside Philosophy and Politics :smile:

Ah, definitely can't wait to go and take a look around! Sounds amazing, especially seeing as the uni itself isn't asking for sky-high grades for Anthropology :smile:.

Oh, PP/PPE! Good luck with that, sounds like you'll have lots of interesting modules to choose from! But even better with some possible Anthropology thrown in ;'D.
Reply 33
There are more of us... Hello Anthropology thread, you're looking nice today.

Is anyone applying to do Arch and Anth?
Reply 34
Original post by Howie713

We're growing in number! :smile:

Personally not applying for both because I'm more interested in the social side of it and the courses I looked including archaeology seemed a bit too science-based for me! Where are you looking at applying?
Reply 35
We are! :smile:

Well that's fair enough. I'm hoping to apply to Oxford, UCL, SOAS, UEA and Sussex.

I was going to ask you where you're looking at, but it's up the top. I haven't looked at Goldsmiths actually... What do you make of it?
(edited 12 years ago)

Hiya, I'm going for Arch & Anth at Durham and Exeter and Single Archaeology at York, will probably be firming at Exeter though......but not sure yet, still deciding :smile:
Reply 37
We are! :smile:

Well that's fair enough. I'm hoping to apply to Oxford, UCL, SOAS, UEA and Sussex.

I was going to ask you where you're looking at, but it's up the top. I haven't looked at Goldsmiths actually... What do you make of it?

Some amazing choices there! I think I've already said on this thread somewhere how in love I am with UCL/SOAS. :smile:

Goldsmiths isn't too bad, I don't think! I haven't actually visited yet, I'll go to the open day next month but the course details look amazing. And they're the highest ranking of all of my choices, so actually probably hoping a little too much to get an offer from them!
Reply 38
Having just graduated from the LSE in Soc. Anth, I would highly recommend it to anyone, the teachers are all pretty incredible and I think they are actually sponsoring students to do their own fieldwork for a few months nowdays.
Reply 39

I'm applying for Arch and Anth at Cambridge....but to be honest, I'm mainly interested in Anth. Also, you're applying to UEA, I live in Norwich, its a pretty good city :smile: , I'd apply if I didn't live so close!

Quick Reply

Latest