The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alex_hk90
You're conflating two issues here. Firstly grade inflation is political, 'the public' (read: the media) will go crazy if (heaven forbid) exam results stayed the same or fell from year to year (as obviously that means something is wrong with the education system :rolleyes:). Then there is the issue that too many people are going to university, which is partly due to what you say, but also partly due to Labour's ridiculous push for 50% of people going to uni (so, once again, political reasons). These issues are only linked insofar as unis then need to ask for higher grades to make sure they're getting students of the required ability.

I agree, though when I was speaking about grade inflation I was only talking about the grades that universities are asking for. It's a well known fact that grades are getting"better" each year and we need serious reforms to our education system.
Reply 2461
Well just found out today that I have to self teach Further Maths AS and take FP1, D1 and S2 in the Summer. Im doing OCR, how difficult do you think it will be to gain an A through self teaching?
Original post by somaiyar

Well just found out today that I have to self teach Further Maths AS and take FP1, D1 and S2 in the Summer. Im doing OCR, how difficult do you think it will be to gain an A through self teaching?

Shouldn't be too hard as long as they don't mess up D1 again :rofl:

With practice and hard work it is attainable

I am self teaching A Level Maths and I think it is quite manageable. At least the Edexcel books are really good and they have CDs with all solutions etc. I suppose it is the same with OCR. You just really have to force yourself to actually do something on your own. It takes a little bit more time than having a teacher explaining it to you. :smile:
Reply 2464
Original post by Groat
That's quite reasonable. I wonder what makes them decide between giving A*AA offers or AAA offers, though. :s-smilie:

I think it's something to do with disadvantaged backgrounds. Like if you complete a-levels uninterupted then it's probably going to be A*AA. I still don't understand how Exeter can offer between THREE grades! A*AA-AAB? I just don't get it.
Reply 2465
Original post by Trizzle
I think it's something to do with disadvantaged backgrounds. Like if you complete a-levels uninterupted then it's probably going to be A*AA. I still don't understand how Exeter can offer between THREE grades! A*AA-AAB? I just don't get it.

It'd be interesting to get a statistic on how many AAA offers they make (below the standard offer). I'm applying to A*AA across the board, so I guess that's enough pressure for me. :colondollar:
Reply 2466
Original post by Groat
It'd be interesting to get a statistic on how many AAA offers they make (below the standard offer). I'm applying to A*AA across the board, so I guess that's enough pressure for me. :colondollar:

Wow really? I'm having 2 insurance type unis with AAA and AAB grades, so hopefully that's a bit less risky. I'd probably rather just go to uni than spend another year trying to get into a dream place, but I know a lot of people are intent on going to specific unis.
Original post by Groat

Aren't we aiming high :wink:. But if all the universities you like have A*AA offers, why not. I'd rather get rejected by all 5 choices than studying at a university I chose just because it has a lower offer :u:.
Reply 2468
Original post by nightmare91
Aren't we aiming high :wink:. But if all the universities you like have A*AA offers, why not. I'd rather get rejected by all 5 choices than studying at a university I chose just because it has a lower offer :u:.

Yeah, exactly! I'd hate to only have an AAA offer then end up getting A*A*A*. In fact, I know if that happened, I'd decline the offer and re-apply as I must've done something wrong with the personal statement, etc. :u:
Original post by Groat
Yeah, exactly! I'd hate to only have an AAA offer then end up getting A*A*A*. In fact, I know if that happened, I'd decline the offer and re-apply as I must've done something wrong with the personal statement, etc. :u:

Seriously, when you look at your UMS marks, you can be sure that you will at least get one A* :wink:. So YOU really don't need an AAA offer unless you get hit by a bus and therefore won't be able to study for the subjects :tongue:. It's way riskier for me because our exams aren't as predictable as A Levels unfortunetely... But I am very optimistic and just going to try really hard :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2470
Seriously, when you look at your UMS marks, you can be sure that you will at least get one A* :wink:. So YOU really don't need an AAA offer unless you get hit by a bus and therefore won't be able to study for the subjects :tongue:. It's way riskier for me because our exams aren't as predictable as A Levels unfortunetely... But I am very optimistic and just try really hard :smile:

Thanks for the vote of confidence. :hugs:

I'm back to school tomorrow. Bring on the hard work and (eventual) interview preparation . :dumbells:
I guess Notts has to increase its offer. Its seen as a consistent top-10 uni and wants to attract the best students. I guess it might be like tuition fees. Most uni's are increasing them to £9K - some say not to be seen as a lesser institution. Nonetheless, in this case at least, I think Notts has reason to do so. I guess most of their applicants are strong anyway.

Original post by Groat
Thanks for the vote of confidence. :hugs:

I'm back to school tomorrow. Bring on the hard work and (eventual) interview preparation . :dumbells:

I really enjoyed interview prep. Sounds sad but it was a great few months :smile:
Reply 2472
Original post by StarChamber
I really enjoyed interview prep. Sounds sad but it was a great few months :smile:

Yeah, I just need to ensure I make the time to read the newspaper and make it a habit. Maybe a hiatus from here would help. :colondollar:
Original post by Groat
Yeah, I just need to ensure I make the time to read the newspaper and make it a habit. Maybe a hiatus from here would help. :colondollar:

Does your school do mock interviews or something? :u:
Reply 2474
Does your school do mock interviews or something? :u:

I think they do. :u:
So how are you guys going to be preparing for interview?
Original post by Groat

Original post by Groat

Definitely a good idea. My main sources of information were independent blogs, The Economist (from the library - its far too expensive - although there's a good student offer going around) , BBC blogs, newspapers and general debates/info exchange with teachers :smile:

EDIT: Tutor2U blog is quite good as well as this one. I love it: http://econ.economicshelp.org/
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2477
Original post by StarChamber
Definitely a good idea. My main sources of information were independent blogs, The Economist (from the library - its far too expensive - although there's a good student offer going around) , BBC blogs, newspapers and general debates/info exchange with teachers :smile:

Yeah, I always scab The Economist from my library in my free periods. :sexface:

I had this huge debate with my Economics teacher about Oxbridge only accepting applicants who will be natural leaders in the working world. :ahee:
Original post by Larriant
So how are you guys going to be preparing for interview?

Well, I'll try to keep myself up to date with current events (really difficult finding time to read newspaper when you have lots to do for school) and re-read my PS several times. At Oxford tutors like to ask questions on your PS I heard. So I will try to somehow imagine what questions he could ask me :tongue:. My school doesn't offer something like mock interviews :frown:

Well, I'll try to keep myself up to date with current events (really difficult finding time to read newspaper when you have lots to do for school) and re-read my PS several times. At Oxford tutors like to ask questions on your PS I heard. So I will try to somehow imagine what questions he could ask me :tongue:. My school doesn't offer something like mock interviews :frown:

Can always ask a parent/teach/older pupil. I'll be trying to help out a couple of guys from my old school. Its always worth the practice :smile: Could Skype interviews work?

Latest

Trending

Trending