The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by soutioirsim
Has anyone heard of any events going on in freshers that involve going out?

At the moment my freshers week consists of:

Monday - Pre-course on maths.
Tuesday - Pre-course on maths.
Wednesday - ???
Thursday - ???
Friday - Lab induction.

I know I'll be having a college library and Bodelian induction at some point, as well as the freshers fair in there :smile: I'm really looking forward to it but are there any big music/clubbing nights going on? :biggrin:

Teddy Hall has a bop at Lola Lo on the Tuesday/Wednesday night and a club night at No. 9 on Friday.
Reply 3441

Wednesday - ???
Thursday - ???
Friday - Lab induction.

I know I'll be having a college library and Bodelian induction at some point, as well as the freshers fair in there :smile: I'm really looking forward to it but are there any big music/clubbing nights going on? :biggrin:

Just in terms of social stuff, on Merton's freshers' week timetable there's:

Monday: Cocktails at some bars and ice cream at G&Ds
Tuesday: Ice-skating, Boat Club drinks, pub crawl, film night, Full Moon Party (clubnight)
Wednesday: Bar and games night, UV Bubbles (clubnight)
Thursday: Wine and cheese night
Friday: Chaplain's drinks party, parents' drinks, slumber party, School Disco (clubnight), Jaguar Skills (clubnight)
Saturday: Pre-bop, bop
Sunday: Bar quiz

So yeah, there should be some going out. :p:
Original post by dbmag9
Just in terms of social stuff, on Merton's freshers' week timetable there's:

Monday: Cocktails at some bars and ice cream at G&Ds
Tuesday: Ice-skating, Boat Club drinks, pub crawl, film night, Full Moon Party (clubnight)
Wednesday: Bar and games night, UV Bubbles (clubnight)
Thursday: Wine and cheese night
Friday: Chaplain's drinks party, parents' drinks, slumber party, School Disco (clubnight), Jaguar Skills (clubnight)
Saturday: Pre-bop, bop
Sunday: Bar quiz

So yeah, there should be some going out. :p:

Original post by micky022
Teddy Hall has a bop at Lola Lo on the Tuesday/Wednesday night and a club night at No. 9 on Friday.

:eek: I really hope Hertford has some decent plans too...

They seem like excellent nights :biggrin:
Reply 3443
Original post by fluteflute
They only changed three months ago :smile:
Oh good. Well I haven't been there since interview so yeah... Also Dept of CS sounds so much more...real.

Re: Fresher's - Worc JCR has a College bar event, Freshers' bop and UV Bubble night followed by G&D's (Tuesday), Full Moon party (Wednesday), something at the Regal (Thursday), Fancy Dress Bop (Friday), Bar night (Saturday), and a movie night in at the JCR on Sunday. Sounded pretty good to me?
Reply 3444
For Christ Church our nights out timetable is:

Sunday: G&D's
Monday: White rave or ice skating
Tuesday: Full moon party or table tennis/pool tournament
Wednesday: UV bubbles or salsa session
Thursday: Traffic light party or murder mystery
Friday: School disco or movie night
Saturday: College bop

Going to be an awesome week :biggrin:
Reply 3445

Wednesday - ???
Thursday - ???
Friday - Lab induction.

Who's organizing the pre-course for maths? Is that the University College course?
Reply 3446
hi all,
I probably shouldn't technically post in here but I was referred here and it's kind of a last resort, as I need an answer about this question by tomorrow. Basically, the question is do Oxford offers include or exclude completed A-levels? I completed the maths a2 in year 12 as our school do further maths one after the other rather than both the ASs then the A2s, so would my theoretical offer be A*A*A (A*s specified in maths + f maths) meaning I only need A*A this year or would they then give me A*AA (A* specified f maths) for this year? As if it's the latter I wouldn't be able to drop French.
Thanks for your help.
Original post by Frankie
For Christ Church our nights out timetable is:

Sunday: G&D's
Monday: White rave or ice skating
Tuesday: Full moon party or table tennis/pool tournament
Wednesday: UV bubbles or salsa session
Thursday: Traffic light party or murder mystery
Friday: School disco or movie night
Saturday: College bop

Going to be an awesome week :biggrin:

Well Hugh's seem to have 3 club nights (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday: Traffic Light, Full Moon, Foam) a pyjama party and other things like treasure hunts, sports day vs St Anne's and a Freshtival that are more daytime events. Oh, we have a bop too and we had to vote on the theme.
Original post by RichE
Who's organizing the pre-course for maths? Is that the University College course?

I honestly don't know. Hertford asked all freshers to come down on Tuesday 4th Oct but I recieved an email saying that all the Hertford physics freshers should come down on the sunday for a "Pre-session maths course" on the monday and tuesday :yep:
Original post by DonJuan
hi all,
I probably shouldn't technically post in here but I was referred here and it's kind of a last resort, as I need an answer about this question by tomorrow. Basically, the question is do Oxford offers include or exclude completed A-levels? I completed the maths a2 in year 12 as our school do further maths one after the other rather than both the ASs then the A2s, so would my theoretical offer be A*A*A (A*s specified in maths + f maths) meaning I only need A*A this year or would they then give me A*AA (A* specified f maths) for this year? As if it's the latter I wouldn't be able to drop French.
Thanks for your help.

As far as I know completed A levels are included in offers, they don't just ignore them, but you might want to check with the department. It might be a good idea to keep your extra A-level for now, you can always drop it later if it turns out to not be relevant?
Reply 3450
Original post by Incarnadine91
As far as I know completed A levels are included in offers, they don't just ignore them, but you might want to check with the department. It might be a good idea to keep your extra A-level for now, you can always drop it later if it turns out to not be relevant?

thanks for the reply :smile:
true i could drop it later but i have so much going on this term that the extra 4 free periods would be invaluable in terms of completing some outside reading, revising for the aptitude test and prepping for the interview. also i have 3 essays due which i havent done haha
Reply 3451
Original post by billieerin23
Well Hugh's seem to have 3 club nights (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday: Traffic Light, Full Moon, Foam) a pyjama party and other things like treasure hunts, sports day vs St Anne's and a Freshtival that are more daytime events. Oh, we have a bop too and we had to vote on the theme.

Ooooh at least you get to vote on the theme, I don't know what the theme is for mine yet so I'm going to have to throw together a fancy dress outfit at the last minute :cool: although everyone will be in the same boat so we'll all be as bad as each other :biggrin:
Reply 3452
Original post by Frankie
Ooooh at least you get to vote on the theme, I don't know what the theme is for mine yet so I'm going to have to throw together a fancy dress outfit at the last minute :cool: although everyone will be in the same boat so we'll all be as bad as each other :biggrin:

Merton's is 'Cowboys and Aliens', which is going to be interesting...
Reply 3453
Original post by dbmag9

That's not too hard, I'd pick cowboys every time lol :tongue: I'm just going to have to bring lots of things for various fancy dress outfits just to be prepared :tongue:
Apparently Somerville's is just the letter S!
Original post by Frankie

This exactly! We'll all be running up to Primark to see if we can nab anything cheap to throw together as a costume. I wish they'd give us more info on it! :biggrin:
Reply 3456
Original post by brendan.
This exactly! We'll all be running up to Primark to see if we can nab anything cheap to throw together as a costume. I wish they'd give us more info on it! :biggrin:

Yep, we'll attack Primark and the charity shops, both awesome for fancy dress stuff :tongue: I'm going to ask college parents in case they know anything lol :tongue:
Original post by Frankie

The choices for the Hugh's one were back to school or dress as your subject if that helps? I imagine the bops will have rather similar themes across the university . . . Then again I don't know
Catz's one is always 'The Name Game' - dress as something beginning with the first letter of your name. It's great to get to know people, it's so much easier to remember "Rachael the Rainbow" or "Nick the Ninja" or "Stephen the Surgeon"!
Reply 3459
Original post by dbmag9

Original post by Jamstar
Apparently Somerville's is just the letter S!

Original post by billieerin23
The choices for the Hugh's one were back to school or dress as your subject if that helps? I imagine the bops will have rather similar themes across the university . . . Then again I don't know

Original post by Incarnadine91
Catz's one is always 'The Name Game' - dress as something beginning with the first letter of your name. It's great to get to know people, it's so much easier to remember "Rachael the Rainbow" or "Nick the Ninja" or "Stephen the Surgeon"!

Sounds like a big mix of things they could do, I'll just wait til I get there and throw something together to make a half decent costume :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending