The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Okada
The following YouTube upload is quite an interesting watch for those interested in applying to Soton it’s a video recorded during the SOM open day.
Link: http://www.youtube.com/user/sotoncomms#p/a/u/2/nKJUtXdXMEo

Thank you so much for posting this.

It has made me want to do Medicine even more and I am in love with Southampton :daydreaming::love:

Please, please, please, please, please give me a chance :crossedf:
Reply 181
Original post by Okada
Soton has the following policy on retakes: "3.12 Retake Policy
All qualifications must be taken at one sitting for all programmes. Applicants who have retaken one A level and/or one GCSE (or equivalent) will be considered as if they had achieved the appropriate grade at the first sitting. Applicants retaking more than one A level or GCSE will be considered provided there were exceptional circumstances related to the first sitting. If accepted, the offer would be the same as the standard offer for the appropriate programme."

Source: Selection Procedure & Policy for the School of Medicine 2011 entry
(Link: http://www.som.soton.ac.uk/undergrad/course/bm5/downloads/)

I called Soton enquiring about the BM6 course and retakes and they said they didn't mind a 3rd year of A levels but that is all they would accept.
Original post by kickasskaz01
Hi carl_senior I’m applying to the same places as you for 2012 including A2L at leeds, uea 6yr and bm6 and would really appreciate any advice and if you don’t mind me asking having a look at your personal statement.

also was your A2L offer ABB with an A in chemistry?

Hi :smile:
You can look at mine if I can look at yours :colondollar: haha
I'm adjusting it a bit at the minute but when I'm done then i'll send you it.

Yeah my offer was ABB - (which I got) but the A wasn't in chemistry :frown:
thanks:wink:, so is the standard offer for all A2L applicants ABB with thew A in chemistry?

and if you dont mind me asking what did you get for your gcse's and AS?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by dollar
I called Soton enquiring about the BM6 course and retakes and they said they didn't mind a 3rd year of A levels but that is all they would accept.

That's great to hear :biggrin:!
So only 29 people in the class this year. Goes to show that they're pretty strict when it comes to meeting offers. Hope PSs and UKCAT practice is going well! :smile:
Reply 186
Hi guys, I'm back. I've decided to give BM6 another shot. I love southampton medical school too much to let it go. It's going to be my only medicine choice though so I'm reallly praying that this is my year. All I need to do is get my UKCAT and PS perfect. Hope everyones application is going well.
So hope that i can get a place!
Original post by Aiboz
Hi guys, I'm back. I've decided to give BM6 another shot. I love southampton medical school too much to let it go. It's going to be my only medicine choice though so I'm reallly praying that this is my year. All I need to do is get my UKCAT and PS perfect. Hope everyones application is going well.

Welcome back Aiboz :biggrin:! How is the UKCAT preparation and P.S. coming along?
Original post by Aiboz

Sounds like you've got it set! Good luck! Don't put too much into the UKCAT as although you need to take it BM6 don't use it in their selection process according to admissions :smile:

Wish you all the best with your application!
Original post by kickasskaz01
thanks:wink:, so is the standard offer for all A2L applicants ABB with thew A in chemistry?

and if you dont mind me asking what did you get for your gcse's and AS?

Yeah it's two grades below the standard offer so that's ABB, but then the A MUST be in chemistry. I rang up on results day and the woman in the office said that they never accept anything below an A grade.

GCSEs: A*AAAABBBBBBC
AS: BCD
Got the ukcat tomorrow, and if it's anything like last year abstract reasoning will be a guessing game haha
but honestly, I'm not worrying too much about it because it's not worth stressing over :smile:

hope everyone's okay & applications are going alright! :smile: x
Original post by popsiclee67
Got the ukcat tomorrow, and if it's anything like last year abstract reasoning will be a guessing game haha
but honestly, I'm not worrying too much about it because it's not worth stressing over :smile:

hope everyone's okay & applications are going alright! :smile: x

For abstract just learn a few rules (Shape Colour Asomething Number - or SCAN I read the other day). But you're totally right, not worth stressing over at all.

GOODEST OF LUCKS!!
Reply 193
Original post by Okada
That's great to hear :biggrin:!

Yea definitely good news for me! :biggrin:
Reply 194
Original post by Okada
IIRC Nottingham is introducing their six-year course this year; you can find more information about this course on the following link: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/foundationcourses/medicine-with-a-foundation-year-bmbs.aspx

Oh my, I was so excited once I saw this course. But it ends up I don't fit the criteria. Well it says you have to satisfy one category in a) and one in b). But I only satisfy two in b). Not sure about a) :frown: HOW DISAPPOINTING!
Reply 195
Original post by Okada
Welcome back Aiboz :biggrin:! How is the UKCAT preparation and P.S. coming along?

Well it took me a while to actually come to my decision. So that means I need to get cracking. I've got a lot to do. But its a big reassurance you guys are hanging around to help. It's really nice. :smile: Hows the uni preparation going? everything ready? Gosh, you must be so excited!
Original post by Aiboz
Oh my, I was so excited once I saw this course. But it ends up I don't fit the criteria. Well it says you have to satisfy one category in a) and one in b). But I only satisfy two in b). Not sure about a) :frown: HOW DISAPPOINTING!

The ones in A were a little bit... flaky? You'd need to find a list of schools and find out what is a "high achieving" school etc. So don't lose hope (Unless you went to Eton or something :P)
Reply 197
Original post by BethaneyJ
The ones in A were a little bit... flaky? You'd need to find a list of schools and find out what is a "high achieving" school etc. So don't lose hope (Unless you went to Eton or something :P)

I didn't finish reading it! Silly me. I rushed through and quickly went to student room to post my sadness :tongue: But, it does say "If you are unsure whether you meet any of the criteria for Group a), then providing you meet at least two criteria from Group b), your application will be considered. Careful consideration is given to all applications." Thanks though.

I've never applied to Nottingham before and as this is my last year applying to medicine, I really need to understand everything about their procedure so I get it right. Any help guys? Please PM me. :smile:
Original post by carl_senior
Yeah it's two grades below the standard offer so that's ABB, but then the A MUST be in chemistry. I rang up on results day and the woman in the office said that they never accept anything below an A grade.

GCSEs: A*AAAABBBBBBC
AS: BCD

For your AS what was it for chemistry and biology and what were your predicted grades, did it include an A in chemistry? And what did you get for ukcat? Thanks for your help :biggrin:
Reply 199
Original post by Aiboz

Welcome back!! BM6 is my only shot now, but I don't mind because as I repeatedly keep saying.. I LOVE SOTON!

What are you planning to do with your other choices then?

Fingers crossed for you. I'm praying this is my year too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending