The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by candide
Haven't been on here in a while...

I see I'm reasonably high in the number of posts competition.

I'm applying to do Biomed, because I've always loved biology and I like brains and things. As well as all the nice broad scottish biology/biomed courses...

Mum and dad seem to think 'this Oxford idea' is ridiculous and will leave them broke for the rest of their life. I've had to lie and say I'm only doing it for fun and that, where I by some miracle accepted, I "probably" wouldn't take the offer up. (lol)

Anyway I was wondering if Jessica or any of the other Scots on here would be able to tell me if Oxford would see our bandings??? I found out the other day I got 6A1s so I figure it'd be worth 'em knowing. =L

Mine being a **** school, the guidance teacher didn't know, so I decided to return to my favourite forum.

Thanks

Wow! Yes, your teacher can mention them in the reference (and any percentages too if you want). Perhaps if/when you get in, they'll change their minds? Or you can tell them that it now costs more for English people to go to Edinburgh than it does for us to go to Oxford, though I'm not sure that'll help. Tell them you'll take out a student loan and pay it back when you graduate? Or does the idea of debt launch them into panic? Have a look and see if you're eligible for any grants or bursaries.
Original post by fluteflute
x

Don't worry, it's not creepy. And I'll try to remember Greg. If we do both get in, I'd imagine CS and maths share some lectures, so we might see quite a bit of each other. Or there's university orchestras! :biggrin:
Username: overninethousand
Subject: chemistry
GCSE: 4A* 5A (IGCSE)
AS: AAAB (A - maths, physics, chemistry. B - biology)
College: Merton
Reply 5262
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Wow! Yes, your teacher can mention them in the reference (and any percentages too if you want). Perhaps if/when you get in, they'll change their minds? Or you can tell them that it now costs more for English people to go to Edinburgh than it does for us to go to Oxford, though I'm not sure that'll help. Tell them you'll take out a student loan and pay it back when you graduate? Or does the idea of debt launch them into panic? Have a look and see if you're eligible for any grants or bursaries.

Don't worry, it's not creepy. And I'll try to remember Greg. If we do both get in, I'd imagine CS and maths share some lectures, so we might see quite a bit of each other. Or there's university orchestras! :biggrin:

Yeah, I'm gonna apply to St John's because it has lots of bursaries and is just generally very rich. Plus it has kitchens!!!
Original post by medbh4805
+rep :sexface:

why thankyou :sexface:

Original post by fluteflute
I'm not quite sure when the opportunity would arise...

ahaha well, you never know :lol:
Original post by nightmare91
Well, maybe :biggrin:

:wink:

Me too!!! I am stalking them because I am so jealous :frown:

Merton is so inviting :smile: some of the other colleges have a closed group so you cant even see! and it's by far the most active...

I should really get off the internet, and do something that makes me sound less... stalkerish.

p.s. @everyone... how do you find out how many posts you've posted?!
Original post by Brand New Eyes

p.s. @everyone... how do you find out how many posts you've posted?!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=1573912 :smile:

Ah thanks! :smile:

Yay I'm 8th, thats a lucky number... although 218 is less than half of Julie's! (punctuation.)
Ah thanks! :smile:

Yay I'm 8th, thats a lucky number... although 218 is less than half of Julie's! (punctuation.)

I think I'm around the middle somewhere, I can't imagine having so many posts, You all seem to know each other so well! :redface:
Reply 5268
hi all,
prospective maths applicant here.
asked this question in a few places but its a tricky one so yet to get a definitive answer :frown: here goes anyway.
does anyone know if Oxford offers include or exclude completed A-levels? I completed the maths a2 in year 12 as our school do further maths one after the other rather than both the ASs then the A2s, so would my theoretical offer be the standard A*A*A (A*s specified in maths + f maths) regardless of the fact that I have already got one of those A*s, meaning I only need A*A this year or would they then give me A*AA (A* specified f maths) for three subjects all completed this year? As if it's the latter I wouldn't be able to drop a subject, which I feel I need to do in order to devote enough time to outside reading and admissions test prep.
Thanks for your help :smile:
Don, best thing to do would be to contact admissions and ask them. I think they'd understand that you have done Maths differently and give you an A*A offer, seeing as you've still completed 3 A levels in 2 years.
Original post by DonJuan
hi all,
asked this question in a few places but its a tricky one so yet to get a definitive answer :frown: here goes anyway.
does anyone know if Oxford offers include or exclude completed A-levels? I completed the maths a2 in year 12 as our school do further maths one after the other rather than both the ASs then the A2s, so would my theoretical offer be the standard A*A*A (A*s specified in maths + f maths) regardless of the fact that I have already got one of those A*s, meaning I only need A*A this year or would they then give me A*AA (A* specified f maths) for three subjects all completed this year? As if it's the latter I wouldn't be able to drop a subject, which I feel I need to do in order to devote enough time to outside reading and admissions test prep.

Let me know if you get an answer to this mate
Reply 5271
Original post by dnumberwang
I would look at the Worcester freshers page but they're probably all talking about Emma Watson tbh

(i've forgotten why I chose worcester actually)

Somewhat reassuringly she's not been mentioned at all

http://www.facebook.com/groups/178518488692/
Reply 5272
Original post by DonJuan
hi all,

If the A* you got early was maths, then it will definitely count to the offer which should be just A*A now.
Original post by calamitysarah
I think I'm around the middle somewhere, I can't imagine having so many posts, You all seem to know each other so well! :redface:

its because we've been rigorously following this thread for god knows how long :smile: I probably spent more time on here than fb for a while...! and we talk about random stuff sometimes too.

I don't know everyone that well! although I think the top posters do, especially when their on first name terms. I'll come join your boat over there
Whaaaat? Julie's not talking? What happened while I was not here?
And what about this boyfriend thing? Do you ever even consider boys from your country? :smile:
Aww, I missed our thread. But I challenged myself so... The challenge is now completed & I'm going to annoy all of you again!
How was your time in Germany?
And HOW can you already be satisfied with your PS? Mine exists in two different versions, each in the billionst draft (at least it feels that way). I can't decide! Aaargh.
When's your birthday? I basically ignored the fact that my birthday is this week... Who needs a 17th birthday?! Nothing REALLY changes, does it??
Waaaay too many questions in this post. Sorry :colondollar: But I'm so happy to be back again! :woo:
Original post by such_a_lady
Yes, long distance relationship. With a boy (or should I say man? He is 18...) from Estonia. And no one knows where that is. :sigh: I'm trying to persuade him to apply to Oxford but he's obsessed with America and is going for Harvard etc. :rolleyes: Looks like this one won't last long...

Thankyou for telling me about the timetable! It's the week before my birthday, tension! I came back from Germany and pretty much remodelled my PS, and I submitted it onto TSR today, eek! I will try and read the thread when I have time :P I'd quite like to see how everyone did in results.

Sam's still here? Bless him. And Julie's not talking?! Shocker, what's going on?!
Yay I finally found my/a back-up! <3 <3 <3 *does dance*

Phia! you haven't posted for a long time too...
Had so much to do, a bad internet connection for a long time and I tried to stay away from the Internet (dun, dun, dun...) for a while! :wink:
How are you? Why do we have a website? What else has changed???
Yay I finally found my/a back-up! <3 <3 <3 *does dance*

Phia! you haven't posted for a long time too...
Original post by Phia7
Had so much to do, a bad internet connection for a long time and I tried to stay away from the Internet (dun, dun, dun...) for a while! :wink:
How are you? Why do we have a website? What else has changed???

oh no! at least you're back now! I dont think I've actually spoken to you before? Anyway HI AGAIN> WELCOME BACK! Im sure everyone missed you :smile:

I was away the whole of July so I'm kinda out of the loop. How was the open day!? Yay another PPE poster, the 30 odd on the spreadsheet never post on here! :frown: twas getting abit lonely.

I haven't even started my PS...

Erm I dno... Why do we have a website? Ask... whoever made it? we colour coded the spreadsheet! it was exciting
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Yeah that's true :smile:

Jess plays an instrument? :-o
Merton is so inviting :smile: some of the other colleges have a closed group so you cant even see! and it's by far the most active...
I was quite liking the idea of Merton (I was even booked on their Open Day) but then I realised they don't offer Computer Science and Philosophy, only straight CS.

Latest

Trending

Trending