The Student Room Group

Career Development Loan

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mattuk1987
Hi sorry to hear that you are having a lot of trouble and know how stressful it is.

They seem to be doing this to pretty much everyone, what me and others have found works is do not accept 5-7day call back (is their default answer) tell the manager that isnt good enough and you have sent the details and you are concerned how they are handling your personal details.

If you dont give up they will put through as a "manager priority request" This seems to get things sorted a lot quicker

Hope this helps and I know is hard but they not to stress too much :smile:

Thanks! I will try that when I call them again later. Can't believe how frustrating they are being- sometimes it seems like something out of a sitcom how ridiculous it is! Have been reading this thread since I started the application and have been getting more and more worried hearing other people's bad stories!! fingers crossed it'll all work out ok. :confused:
Reply 321
Does anyone know what happens once you've signed the acceptance letter and sent it back? Do they send you anything to confirm they have received it and all will go ahead?
No idea Shiv - I would say Co-Op do (since they do their lovely text message service) but let's be honest - if none of us bothered to phone the Barclays helpline up we wouldn't have word of anything that was going on with our applications...
Original post by Shiv_Shiv
Does anyone know what happens once you've signed the acceptance letter and sent it back? Do they send you anything to confirm they have received it and all will go ahead?

Call them up and get confirmation that they have the acceptance letter.

Have you got the University form ready to send to your uni? DMU wanted me to send it to them now and upon enrolment, will hand it back to me to send to Barclay's.
Reply 324
Bugger.

I rang co op today and it has been declined because of credit check :-(

Is it worth going for Barclays still?? I have heard it is the other way round, if Barclays decline then co op might take you but not the other way round
Original post by Variola
Bugger.

Is it worth going for Barclays still?? I have heard it is the other way round, if Barclays decline then co op might take you but not the other way round

Do you think your credit rating could be that bad? It's worth appealing if you think it isn't; if you've only been in your overdraft once before or you had good reason for not paying a credit card off or something.

If not, try Barclays. What's the worst that can happen? :smile:
Reply 326
Original post by Eganhimself
Call them up and get confirmation that they have the acceptance letter.

Have you got the University form ready to send to your uni? DMU wanted me to send it to them now and upon enrolment, will hand it back to me to send to Barclay's.

I'm planning on making a visit to my university this Thursday so that they can fill out the details there and then and I can send everything back to Barclays this week!
Original post by Variola
Bugger.

Do you know what it is that might be affecting your credit? it could be something simple and silly like not being on the electoral register, in which case you could get that sorted and then appeal and it might be ok next time round.

I think they just do an automated check to start with, before any actual person assesses your application, so it might be worth checking to see what's wrong with your credit rating and then appealing, or trying again with Barclays.
I'm planning on making a visit to my university this Thursday so that they can fill out the details there and then and I can send everything back to Barclays this week!

Call and confirm that you can do this because that letter needs to be filled to confirm that you have started your course.
Reply 329
Hey guys, had my acceptance from Co-op through the other day. This might be an obvious question but if I'm not asking for any of the fees to be paid for by them (just living expenses) do I still need my uni to complete the course start notification? Many thanks
Reply 330
Call and confirm that you can do this because that letter needs to be filled to confirm that you have started your course.

On the form it says has started/is due to start so I imagine it would be okay but I'll give them a call tomorrow!
On the form it says has started/is due to start so I imagine it would be okay but I'll give them a call tomorrow!

Is the form your sending have the name course start notification?

DMU told me they couldn't fill it out until i had started and the nice lady at the bank called and confirmed for me.
Oh dear. Well Barclays still haven't changed my details, still haven't sent me any correspondence and still keep telling me to call back in 7 days, despite having spoken to various managers and lodged a complaint with Head Office.

Today when I said I wanted to cancel my application and apply through Co-Op, the manager told me that this 'personally hurts his feelings'. As though i would be emotionally blackmailed into applying with Barclays!!!!

He also assured me that this was the first time anyone had had a problem with their CDL application with Barclays and that they would never send out the wrong statements etc.

What a joke! I can't cancel the application becuase they still haven't sorted out the security quesitons mess, but i need to apply to Co-Op ASAP to find out in time for my start date (3rd October). Did anyone else who applied to both have a problem because of this, or should I just send off to Co-Op now?
Reply 333
Original post by ClarenceSpecial
Oh dear. Well Barclays still haven't changed my details, still haven't sent me any correspondence and still keep telling me to call back in 7 days, despite having spoken to various managers and lodged a complaint with Head Office.

Today when I said I wanted to cancel my application and apply through Co-Op, the manager told me that this 'personally hurts his feelings'. As though i would be emotionally blackmailed into applying with Barclays!!!!

He also assured me that this was the first time anyone had had a problem with their CDL application with Barclays and that they would never send out the wrong statements etc.

What a joke! I can't cancel the application becuase they still haven't sorted out the security quesitons mess, but i need to apply to Co-Op ASAP to find out in time for my start date (3rd October). Did anyone else who applied to both have a problem because of this, or should I just send off to Co-Op now?

You can apply for a Co-op career development loan at the same time. You are just not allowed to have two loans for the same programme. Anyway, even if you Barclays do subsequently decide to offer you the loan there is (if I remember rightly) a time limit on when you have to inform them whether you are taking them up on the offer. In this sense, you simply just ignore them and go with the Co-op.

It is not clear what you mean by 'statements'. Are you a customer with Barclays too? If so, and assuming you do not get paper statements because you do everything online, you can go (again, if I remember rightly) into the bank and ask them to print you a copy out.
Reply 334
Original post by Rossinio
Hey guys, had my acceptance from Co-op through the other day. This might be an obvious question but if I'm not asking for any of the fees to be paid for by them (just living expenses) do I still need my uni to complete the course start notification? Many thanks

Of course, how else with the Co-op know that you are "legitimately" using the loan for living expenses while studying? It is up to you what you do with the money, but you are getting it on the premise that you are studying. Otherwise you should have just applied for a commercial loan.
Reply 335

You cannot get your form stamped 'early'. You have to wait until enrolment, then they transfer the money.
Reply 336
Original post by evantej
You can apply for a Co-op career development loan at the same time. You are just not allowed to have two loans for the same programme. Anyway, even if you Barclays do subsequently decide to offer you the loan there is (if I remember rightly) a time limit on when you have to inform them whether you are taking them up on the offer. In this sense, you simply just ignore them and go with the Co-op.

It is not clear what you mean by 'statements'. Are you a customer with Barclays too? If so, and assuming you do not get paper statements because you do everything online, you can go (again, if I remember rightly) into the bank and ask them to print you a copy out.

There's a time limit on sending the provisional forms of acceptance back????? It doesn't say that anywhere in the documentation :confused:
Do you therefore send the loan agreement and standing order mandate form back asap and then send the learning provider declaration seperately once you have fully enrolled?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 337
Is the form your sending have the name course start notification?

DMU told me they couldn't fill it out until i had started and the nice lady at the bank called and confirmed for me.

Did you send the rest of the documentation prior to the course date then to accept the offer or did you wait until you had started the course and send everything together?
Original post by evantej

Thanks- I'll send the Co-Op one off today then and hope I have more luck with them!

By statements, I meant the bank statements and other supporting documentation you send with your application. I'm not a barclays customer, so sent them my bank statements. They have hinted that they sent my application back to me with these documents for missing information. However, I haven't received this back at my address and in the meantime someone in Newcastle has apparently set up an online account with a shopping website using my name and email address, hence the worry about where my bank statements and other info have gone, particularly as a couple of people on here mentioned that they'd been sent other people's documents.
Reply 339
I have contacted University of Reading who are happy to stamp my form tomorrow so that I can send it off asap :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending