The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
I definitely don't think UCL will reject you, and hmm I suppose if you are going to firm Warwick or Cambz (too much time talking to Rahul) then Durham might be the best backup. Tbh I don't think you'll need your 5th to come into play looking at your grades.

Any chance I can see that email from UCL? If I can see it for my own eyes, i would be a happy guy, cheers..
Booking for the Warwick open day starts today... still not sure if I should go to that or just visit at any random time. I mean, I don't want to waste my time in the maths talk, the one at Manchester was mind numbingly dull
Original post by dnumberwang
Booking for the Warwick open day starts today... still not sure if I should go to that or just visit at any random time. I mean, I don't want to waste my time in the maths talk, the one at Manchester was mind numbingly dull

I'll be there:biggrin:
me me me me me

I got A*AA for my a-level, I will re-apply in 2012
Original post by ben-smith

So will I! :biggrin: Literally every one of my talks is in the zeeman building. :colone: Including the 4 strands of MORSE! <3
So will I! :biggrin: Literally every one of my talks is in the zeeman building. :colone: Including the 4 strands of MORSE! <3

4 strands of MORSE? I've heard of the Zeeman's building and I think the only cool place that interests me in Warwick university is its Maths and Stats department. I could be wrong though.
Original post by Nicholasng925
4 strands of MORSE? I've heard of the Zeeman's building and I think the only cool place that interests me in Warwick university is its Maths and Stats department. I could be wrong though.

That is the maths and stats building. :wink: MORSE, their flagship course, sounds super awesome, if I weren't doing maths I would take that route to go into IB or actuary, look into it. :colone:
That is the maths and stats building. :wink: MORSE, their flagship course, sounds super awesome, if I weren't doing maths I would take that route to go into IB or actuary, look into it. :colone:

I'm applying for MMORSE actually lol! :wink: I know that it's super awesome and would really love to firm that if I could get the offer. Others be Maths at Cambridge (although I don't put much hope on it) and Actuarial Science at Cass, LSE and Heriot-Watt. :cool:
I'm applying for MMORSE actually lol! :wink: I know that it's super awesome and would really love to firm that if I could get the offer. Others be Maths at Cambridge (although I don't put much hope on it) and Actuarial Science at Cass, LSE and Heriot-Watt. :cool:

Nice! MMORSE, the name is so appealing! :colone: That's with exemption from the actuary exams right? I has orginally planned it to be in my ucas till i realised my top 4 choices were Cambz UCL warwick maths warwick morse *_*, after results day I re-evaluated and turned things down a notch lol, coz i flopped :frown:
Nice! MMORSE, the name is so appealing! :colone: That's with exemption from the actuary exams right? I has orginally planned it to be in my ucas till i realised my top 4 choices were Cambz UCL warwick maths warwick morse *_*, after results day I re-evaluated and turned things down a notch lol, coz i flopped :frown:

Perhaps you want to apply for an university with slightly lower requirement, since all 4 choices that you are applying requires at least A*AA. I did, with Heriot-Watt as a university with relatively lower requirement. Yep, MMORSE is with exemptions for 7 Core Technical (CT) actuarial exams (excluding CT5 - Contingencies). MMORSE is so appealing and awesome! Oh yeah, is MMORSE considered as a maths degree?
Perhaps you want to apply for an university with slightly lower requirement, since all 4 choices that you are applying requires at least A*AA. I did, with Heriot-Watt as a university with relatively lower requirement. Yep, MMORSE is with exemptions for 7 Core Technical (CT) actuarial exams (excluding CT5 - Contingencies). MMORSE is so appealing and awesome! Oh yeah, is MMORSE considered as a maths degree?

Yeah I have done, now it's Warwick Maths, Edinburhg/St Andrews, Kings College, Manchester and Birmingham is my failsafe. Heriot Watt is great for actuarial science. I wante dto do actuarial science aswlel but realised i was torn between that and invesment banking so now chose maths to keep both options open for the future lol
Yeah I have done, now it's Warwick Maths, Edinburhg/St Andrews, Kings College, Manchester and Birmingham is my failsafe. Heriot Watt is great for actuarial science. I wante dto do actuarial science aswlel but realised i was torn between that and invesment banking so now chose maths to keep both options open for the future lol

MMORSE is quite a perfect course to keep both options open, be it actuarial or IB. I'm not really sure about IB, but for actuarial, I can safely assure you that MMORSE is quite good for actuarial career. Maths is obviously good as well, but you wouldn't learn anything about economics and finance, unless you take some modules relating to it or statistics. MMORSE is harder than Actuarial Science degree, but I think Maths is more rigorous than MMORSE, so in a way it's better.
MMORSE is quite a perfect course to keep both options open, be it actuarial or IB. I'm not really sure about IB, but for actuarial, I can safely assure you that MMORSE is quite good for actuarial career. Maths is obviously good as well, but you wouldn't learn anything about economics and finance, unless you take some modules relating to it or statistics. MMORSE is harder than Actuarial Science degree, but I think Maths is more rigorous than MMORSE, so in a way it's better.

MMORSE is definitely perfect for either I agree. But I enjoy maths with a passion, so I'd rather stay pure for now. :biggrin: Although I am going to take topics on fundamental economics. So hopefully I won't be too far behind you. Best things about maths is proof, I really want to get good at it lol.
MMORSE is definitely perfect for either I agree. But I enjoy maths with a passion, so I'd rather stay pure for now. :biggrin: Although I am going to take topics on fundamental economics. So hopefully I won't be too far behind you. Best things about maths is proof, I really want to get good at it lol.

LOL yeah true. There's reason I'm applying for Cambridge's Maths, cause I enjoy doing pure maths too. Which college are you applying to? :biggrin:
LOL yeah true. There's reason I'm applying for Cambridge's Maths, cause I enjoy doing pure maths too. Which college are you applying to? :biggrin:

I'm not applying to Cambridge anymore. *_* :frown: Check my sig to see all info. :smile: I messed up AS so I cant.

I went last year. One guy spoke briefly about admissions, then Ian Stewart gave a talk about networks and the way animals walk. :s-smilie:
I'm not applying to Cambridge anymore. *_* :frown: Check my sig to see all info. :smile: I messed up AS so I cant.

Ops sorry, all the best in everything you do then. Are you practicing STEP now?

Original post by ben-smith

So will I! :biggrin: Literally every one of my talks is in the zeeman building. :colone: Including the 4 strands of MORSE! &lt;3

:hello: I'm booked and going! And I'll be by myself (and staying the night of the 23rd by myself) because all my friends are either applying only in Scotland or just aren't interested in Warwick. My sessions are:
10.00 - 10.30 Welcome to Warwick - Ramphal Building (Zeeman building was booked out at 10.28am :eek:)
10.45 - 11.45 Mathematics at Warwick - Zeeman Building
13.45 - 14:15 Mathematics: Beautiful and Useful - Zeeman Building

Will anyone else be completely by themselves? Perhaps we could team up? :smile:
Ops sorry, all the best in everything you do then. Are you practicing STEP now?

Yhupp, just browsing through Stephen Siklos booklet. I'm more concerned with raping C3 and C4 in Jan and my retakes. *_* Bur thankfully STEP is more of a try and let your mind think about it approach lol.
Tot ake this discussion off on a tangent, is anyone applying to US unis??

Latest