The Student Room Group

An IB Math Dilemma

Please delete this thread.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Wait, wtf? Are you planning on studying medicine at uni? If so ffs just take maths studies and save yourself. :lolwut:

Or failing that SL maths, but really unless you want to study Engineering, Physics, economics or something maths related then you shouldn't bother with HL maths and I will not stop until every would be IBer gets that into their head.

Or I could let you lot do HL maths and watch you suffer... :colone:

EDIT: Oh and maths studies is not frowned upon :fyi:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by AspiringGenius
Well maths is my best subject so it be a shame to waste my skill there on an easy course while trying to frantically get a 7 in English.

And all the people who applied with math studies to the universities I'm looking at get rejected. I've made the link that math studies isn't worth it for me, even if it is an easy 7.

All the more reason to stick with SL Maths and concentrate on bringing your other subjects up to scratch. But hey, it's your decision. :moon:
Original post by sango
Wait, wtf? Are you planning on studying medicine at uni? If so ffs just take maths studies and save yourself. :lolwut:

Or failing that SL maths, but really unless you want to study Engineering, Physics, economics or something maths related then you shouldn't bother with HL maths and I will not stop until every would be IBer gets that into their head.

Or I could let you lot do HL maths and watch you suffer... :colone:

EDIT: Oh and maths studies is not frowned upon :fyi:

Maths Studies is definitely frowned upon for top Medical schools like Oxbridge, Imperial and Birmingham. Math IS a vital subject in Medicine.
Reply 4
I'd recommend Maths SL, I think trying to do an A-level on top of 6 IB courses and all the extras like CAS and EE could cause your other grades to suffer. If you want to do Medicine you need to do well in Chemistry and Biology, that should be your focus. Math HL is really tough, and you don't need it for medicine (at least I haven't heard of any unis asking for it) so this could be a good thing. Do standard level, it's still a respectable Maths course, and use your abilities to get a 7 :smile:
SL Math is not too bad...sure, there are difficult points, but they are all easily overcome if you take the full two years to work things out. Just do lots of last papers and a 6/7 is all yours. No A-Levels required. And if you want to learn Math HL stuff on your own, just do it during the summer after IB. :P
What your college is doing is absolutely disgraceful. Maths is such a core subject, that it is totally unacceptable and unprofessional not to offer it at HL. If you have got what it takes then HL maths is a really great choice.

Your college probably doesn't offer it because they have a crap maths teacher, who can't teach it well.

My earnest advice to you is find a better college. I'm sure for something as pivotal as this a letter from a lawyer will make them refund your fees.
Reply 7
My high school dropped both standard and higher level in favour of math studies after only one person even passed it... I was screwed over majorly getting into University with lower grades because I'd failed SL (and what's worse is relatively speaking I did well in math -.-). I did find whilst I was applying though, that math studies was hardly worth anything to most unis (this was for biology and I never had the option of doing chemistry at all so math was important). I now believe though, that you should go for the subject you will do best at, as overall score in IB is important. Saying that, as medicine is obviously very competitive, if you can do well at SL, seriously don't bother with studies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending