The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nicholasng925
Oh I see. Sure thing! I haven't started practice on any STEP yet but would probably start it in these few days time. Heard that STEP 2 is even harder than STEP 3. :s-smilie:

Cool, I'm just refreshing C3 and C4 right now, since I need to retake to get the A* but I'm going to hit the STEP papers at the same time. :smile:
Anyone starting STEP revision yet hah?
Original post by Piisbetterthantau
The thing is though, only Brits are the most disadvantaged for instance, I know a guy in Princeton who came from Asia and is pretty well off yet when his family's income is converted into dollars, he is technically below the poverty line so got FULL scholarship.

True, but feel sorry for the americans: international students are way more likely to get in
Reply 1223
Original post by Small123

Yep, started over the summer, not massively just once a week doing some questions.
Original post by Small123

Yeah. I'm doing the STEP III Qs that people haven't posted answers to on the solution threads.
Original post by deejayy
Yep, started over the summer, not massively just once a week doing some questions.

How are you finding revising it? I'm planning to revise a couple of hours a week at the library doing, hopefully, a paper a week until exams. Hopefully gonna start this week as I'm starting school again tomorrow
Original post by like_a_star
wow that is a LOT of money. I would much rather spend it on shopping :tongue:

haha just joking but add in the living costs and that is going to be expensive!!

Original post by TheMagicMan
I know. The fee hikes in the UK look like nothing in comparison

For some unis, like harvard, though, you won't be paying as much as you do in the UK unless your family earn over £90k per year
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Cool, I'm just refreshing C3 and C4 right now, since I need to retake to get the A* but I'm going to hit the STEP papers at the same time. :smile:

Great! Feel free to discuss STEP papers or post up questions here so we can discuss! :smile:
Tot ake this discussion off on a tangent, is anyone applying to US unis??

I was actually heavily considering it - but this was only 2-3 months ago and I feel like I'm too late on everything - having not taken the SAT :/

What do you think?
I booked it all within the hour. :colone: I have them all in Zeeman building hehe. I'm going with a friend but you can team up with us if you like, it's never nice being on your own.

Oh same, I was sitting on a school computer pressing refresh :biggrin: But that first talk was already sold out. Actually, I've just remembered that my cousin's living in Coventry at the moment, so I might phone him up. Thanks for the offer though! :smile:

Original post by like_a_star
I don't know much about them but from next year Edinburgh is going to be the most expensive uni to go to because the courses are 4 years long and they are charging £9000 a year fees. It was on the BBC website :s-smilie:

My parents both work at Edinburgh, they were sitting looking at their e-mail last night just saying, "how could they be so stupid?". Apparently the main reason they did it was that they heard a rumour that St. Andrews is planning to do the same. :rolleyes:
Original post by hassi94
I was actually heavily considering it - but this was only 2-3 months ago and I feel like I'm too late on everything - having not taken the SAT :/

What do you think?

I think there is time, but it might be a bit tight. I am by no means an expert though
Original post by Nicholasng925
Great! Feel free to discuss STEP papers or post up questions here so we can discuss! :smile:

Will do. :smile:
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Oh same, I was sitting on a school computer pressing refresh :biggrin: But that first talk was already sold out. Actually, I've just remembered that my cousin's living in Coventry at the moment, so I might phone him up. Thanks for the offer though! :smile:

No worries. :smile: And do you mean Edinburgh is moving to 9k a year this year?! :O

A little birdy tells me your going to the Warwick open day?
Will do. :smile:

Let's do some step qs. Ok here's the question.
Which of the following statements are true and which are false? Justify your answers.
(i) a^ln b = b^ln a for all a, b > 0.
(ii) cos(sin µ) = sin(cos µ) for all real µ.
(iii) There exists a polynomial P such that |P(µ) cos µ|=< 6^10−6 for all real µ.
(iv) x^4 + 3 + x^−4 > 5 for all x > 0.

Nice and easy :tongue: A gentle start

I'm not sure that this was a good q to choose. It is extremely easy
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jampolo
A little birdy tells me your going to the Warwick open day?

I am indeed! You? :smile:
Hi there

I need a little help, still undecided on what course to apply for but I am definitely considering Maths.

For AS I got AABD in maths, further maths, chemistry and physics. Hoping for A*A*A predictions (after dropping physics and nagging my chemistry teacher).

what are my chances at UCL maths? I need to stay within London.
Original post by Ilyas
Hi there

I need a little help, still undecided on what course to apply for but I am definitely considering Maths.

For AS I got AABD in maths, further maths, chemistry and physics. Hoping for A*A*A predictions (after dropping physics and nagging my chemistry teacher).

what are my chances at UCL maths? I need to stay within London.

Depends on UMS, if it averages above 90%, go for it. Their average is higher though, bear that in mind.
Let's do some step qs. Ok here's the question.
Which of the following statements are true and which are false? Justify your answers.
(i) a^ln b = b^ln a for all a, b > 0.
(ii) cos(sin µ) = sin(cos µ) for all real µ.
(iii) There exists a polynomial P such that |P(µ) cos µ|=< 6^10−6 for all real µ.
(iv) x^4 + 3 + x^−4 > 5 for all x > 0.

Nice and easy :tongue: A gentle start

I'm not sure that this was a good q to choose. It is extremely easy

Ahhh the days of STEP and the good ol' Siklos booklet :tongue:

But Jeez you guys are keen, this time last year I was still considering taking physics...
No worries. :smile: And do you mean Edinburgh is moving to 9k a year this year?! :O

Yes, if you aren't Scottish/EU. :frown: (And no, English doesn't count as EU. Doesn't make sense to anyone else either.)