The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jonnyboy1993
Ahhh the days of STEP and the good ol' Siklos booklet :tongue:

But Jeez you guys are keen, this time last year I was still considering taking physics...

I'm actually doing physics :tongue:

Well maths and physics anyway...
Heya, new poster here!
Here's my 5 choices for UCAS:
Oxford
Bath
Durham
Lancaster
York.
GCSEs: 6A*s, 6As and 1B.
A Levels:A* in Maths
AS: A in Physics
A in Music
B in Chemistry
Predicted A* in Further Maths once I actually get cracking with it (Cos my school does it the weird way where you take the whole A level in a year)

Anyway, mainly I'm here to say hi and to meet my (hopefully) maths buddies!
:biggrin:
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
I am indeed! You? :smile:

sure am! what time are your talks?
Depends on UMS, if it averages above 90%, go for it. Their average is higher though, bear that in mind.

no, they don't average 90's :s-smilie: they only average 90 across my pure modules

can you recommend me any other universities? (can be outside London).

do you think I stand a chance at applying to Bristol for G100?
Original post by TheMagicMan
Let's do some step qs. Ok here's the question.
Which of the following statements are true and which are false? Justify your answers.
(i) a^ln b = b^ln a for all a, b > 0.
(ii) cos(sin µ) = sin(cos µ) for all real µ.
(iii) There exists a polynomial P such that |P(µ) cos µ|=< 6^10−6 for all real µ.
(iv) x^4 + 3 + x^−4 > 5 for all x > 0.

Nice and easy :tongue: A gentle start

I'm not sure that this was a good q to choose. It is extremely easy

I should be able to do these but I'm not sure how to justify them lol. Tips? :P
Depends on UMS, if it averages above 90%, go for it. Their average is higher though, bear that in mind.

Can UCL see UMS?
Original post by Ilyas
no, they don't average 90's :s-smilie: they only average 90 across my pure modules

can you recommend me any other universities? (can be outside London).

do you think I stand a chance at applying to Bristol for G100?

Hmm, pure is more important than applied. Apply anyway, if you really want to. Bristol should be fine, they don't ask for UMS. Umm, look at Warwick? :colone: And what else can I mention, St. Andrews, pretty far though. :P Perhaps look at Kings College London?
Original post by Jampolo
Can UCL see UMS?

Yhupp, they specifically ask you for it, plays a pretty heavy role according to the admissions tutor I emailed.
Original post by Jampolo
sure am! what time are your talks?

Not sure, all in the Zeeman building though. When I get home I'll check my timetable and message you. :smile:
I should be able to do these but I'm not sure how to justify them lol. Tips? :P

Ironically i) is the most difficult
I'll give you a clue: out of ii),iii) and iv) one can be solved by considering large numbers, one can be solved by counterexample, and one can be solved by a useful substitution

My tip for i) is that it can be solved by replacing b (or a ) with something involving e
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Miller693
Heya, new poster here!
Here's my 5 choices for UCAS:
Oxford
Bath
Durham
Lancaster
York.
GCSEs: 6A*s, 6As and 1B.
A Levels:A* in Maths
AS: A in Physics
A in Music
B in Chemistry
Predicted A* in Further Maths once I actually get cracking with it (Cos my school does it the weird way where you take the whole A level in a year)

Anyway, mainly I'm here to say hi and to meet my (hopefully) maths buddies!
:biggrin:

Hello! :smile: Dude, why's there no Warwick? :P Interesting UCAS! Your grades look solid, good luck on Oxford, hope to see you participating in our keen mathematical discussions. :smile: :colone:
Not sure, all in the Zeeman building though. When I get home I'll check my timetable and message you. :smile:

Mine are all Zeeman and from 11 until like 3. Maths, MMORSE, and some thing about beautiful maths haha
Original post by Jampolo
A little birdy tells me your going to the Warwick open day?

By little birdy do you mean the previous page of this thread? :wink:

Hmm am tempted to go - have booked but not sure. It's a 2 and a half hour drive and I don't know if it'll be that useful. In the end I'm almost 100% certain I'll be applying so the open day would almost be just for the sake of it.
Dude, why's there no Warwick?

Middle of a field ffs :colonhash:

(i still plan on visiting just to confirm that i don't want to study there)
Original post by Jampolo
Mine are all Zeeman and from 11 until like 3. Maths, MMORSE, and some thing about beautiful maths haha

Dude, you have literally the same as me I think. :colone: Although Beautiful maths clashed with Stats and I think I chose Stats and Maths instead. I wonder what that says about me. (I only did it because the beauty one was 30 mins and the other was an hour lol)
Ironically i) is the most difficult
I'll give you a clue: out of ii),iii) and iv) one can be solved by considering large numbers, one can be solved by counterexample, and one can be solved by a useful substitution

My tip for i) is that it can be solved by replacing b (or a ) with something involving e

I thought i) was extremely easy.

Natural log both sides to get

ln(a^lnb) = ln(b^lna)
ln(b)ln(a) = ln(a)ln(b)

That's it isn't it!?
Dude, you have literally the same as me I think. :colone: Although Beautiful maths clashed with Stats and I think I chose Stats and Maths instead. I wonder what that says about me. (I only did it because the beauty one was 30 mins and the other was an hour lol)

Haha I had exactly the same thought process - took the longer one to make it more worth it! :tongue:
Original post by dnumberwang
Middle of a field ffs :colonhash:

(i still plan on visiting just to confirm that i don't want to study there)

But in a field, there a sheep! And sheep are funny creatures, baa for no particular reason, sheep are vain, they long to hear their own voice. I dunno. :/ But Warwick sounds brilliant, I'm more excited about the course tbf, closest thing to Cambridge I have. :P
Reply 1258
True, but feel sorry for the americans: international students are way more likely to get in

That's very interesting. Could you explain why/ have any sources for that info? Also, is taking SAT next year/ this year for entry to US for (let's say) after a gap year feasible? Or are you severely disadvantaged when applying with SATs taken after finishing school?
Original post by hassi94
Haha I had exactly the same thought process - took the longer one to make it more worth it! :tongue:

Aha, yhupp! Time spent wandering, is time not spent on maths.

Good answer to the question, I didn't think of that!

Latest