The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Can you use Latex and show me iv) please? :smile: I was trying to do it by counter example, just finding a value that contradicted the statement. :/

The problem is that it is true :tongue:

Basically

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by twig
When I did that Q originally, I considering the solution to dP/dx=0, which is also a polynomial. So there a finite number of solutions bounded by the order of this derivative polynomial. So after the largest absolute solution, the gradient must remain + or -. And the difference would eventually exceed the limit given. This is just as waffly as you/ Ben's posts, but nonetheless. Nice way to waste extra time on a step exam.

Edit: just noticed some of the above posts, nevermind.

Your solution is basically the same as mine. You just justified it a bit more.
It's nicer.
2012 ucas? :s

yeah

Original post by anyone_can_fly

My parents both work at Edinburgh, they were sitting looking at their e-mail last night just saying, "how could they be so stupid?". Apparently the main reason they did it was that they heard a rumour that St. Andrews is planning to do the same. :rolleyes:

but st andrews is going to let people who can do the 4 year course in 3. edinburgh isn't even goin to do that. thats £36000 fees and then 4 years worth of living costs ontop on that!! :eek:
Original post by jonnyboy1993

Basically

Spoiler

Ohhh right, I see! But shouldn't the first part be

x4+3+x−4=5x^4 + 3 + x^{-4} = 5 ? which goes to x4+x−4−2=0 x^4 + x^{-4} - 2 = 0

Basically

Spoiler

you misread it there, its x^4 + 3 + x^-4 > 5, you switched the 5 and 3. Your solution unfortunately doesn't work in that case.
Original post by hassi94
you misread it there, its x^4 + 3 + x^-4 > 5, you switched the 5 and 3. Your solution unfortunately doesn't work in that case.

(x^2-x^-2)>=0

x^4-2-x^-4>=0

x^4+3-x^-4>=5
Ohhh right, I see! But shouldn't the first part be

x4+3+x−4=5x^4 + 3 + x^{-4} = 5 ? which goes to x4+x−4−2=0 x^4 + x^{-4} - 2 = 0

Original post by hassi94

Apologies, it's fine though, I just edited it so it works, thanks for letting me know
But in a field, there a sheep! And sheep are funny creatures, baa for no particular reason, sheep are vain, they long to hear their own voice. I dunno. :/ But Warwick sounds brilliant, I'm more excited about the course tbf, closest thing to Cambridge I have. :P

Go to Wales then :colonhash:

I haven't looked at any of the maths courses, except for Oxford and Cambridge to compare :colondollar:
Apologies, it's fine though, I just edited it so it works, thanks for letting me know

Silly me it does work - not sure what I was looking at! :tongue:

But in a field, there a sheep! And sheep are funny creatures, baa for no particular reason, sheep are vain, they long to hear their own voice. I dunno. :/ But Warwick sounds brilliant, I'm more excited about the course tbf, closest thing to Cambridge I have. :P

It's not really in a field though...some people say that it's rural but I definitely wouldn't :colone:

Basically

Spoiler

How come the -2 disappears in the second line? :/ (sorry about the questions)

EDIT: Sorry im an idiot i see now. :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by hassi94
By little birdy do you mean the previous page of this thread? :wink:

Hmm am tempted to go - have booked but not sure. It's a 2 and a half hour drive and I don't know if it'll be that useful. In the end I'm almost 100% certain I'll be applying so the open day would almost be just for the sake of it.

Haha, i saw someone quote it :wink:

Ah its either a 4 hour train journey or like a 150 minutes drive. Im still up for it though, im fearless :wink:
Original post by Jampolo
Haha, i saw someone quote it :wink:

Ah its either a 4 hour train journey or like a 150 minutes drive. Im still up for it though, im fearless :wink:

ROAR! ;D
Original post by jameswhughes
It's not really in a field though...some people say that it's rural but I definitely wouldn't :colone:

I'll make my decision on the 24th! :biggrin:
Original post by dnumberwang
Go to Wales then :colonhash:

I haven't looked at any of the maths courses, except for Oxford and Cambridge to compare :colondollar:

Isn't Warwicks course supposed to edge Oxfords? Or was that just a rumour I heard, I guess it's opinion anyways, but I had the feeling that was the general consensus.
Isn't Warwicks course supposed to edge Oxfords? Or was that just a rumour I heard, I guess it's opinion anyways, but I had the feeling that was the general consensus.

It's a rumour, I think it's come up on TSR quite a few times but it's never been the general concensus. Anyway, location > course because they're all similar enough anyway
Original post by dnumberwang
It's a rumour, I think it's come up on TSR quite a few times but it's never been the general concensus. Anyway, location > course because they're all similar enough anyway

Fair dos. You can never go wrong with the prestige Oxford brings anyway.

I don't think you could say it's true nor that it's rumour. People saying it's true are those who got rejected by Oxbridge (or didn't feel they were good enough to apply), had some bias dislike against Oxford, applied to Cambridge or something similar. People saying it's a rumour are Oxford-ers. None of these people have done both courses so who judges which is better?
Original post by hassi94
I don't think you could say it's true nor that it's rumour. People saying it's true are those who got rejected by Oxbridge (or didn't feel they were good enough to apply), had some bias dislike against Oxford, applied to Cambridge or something similar. People saying it's a rumour are Oxford-ers. None of these people have done both courses so who judges which is better?

That's a fair point.

EDIT: Maybe it's my subconscious trying to convince me Warwick is better than Oxbridge, although with St Andrews rising to 9K now, I might still consider Cambridge just for the sake of maybe experiencing what the interview is like. ;D
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by hassi94

In that case how can anyone say one university is better than another university?

Latest