The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Platinum Extra Card thingy?

just wondering if anyone has a clue what it is? how much is it? when do you need to pay for it etc?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
By buying platinum extra you are basically prepaying(with a massive discount, if you go out a reasonable amount) for your entry to the union all year, Plus discounted gig tickets for when theres bands on at the union. It also gets you queue jump which is absolutely epic for when its busy, and special drinks offers as well.

Not sure how much it will be this year but in the past it has been around £125. For freshers this includes your Freshers ball ticket as well.

I had Platinum Extra/Returners Extra all 3 years I've been there and its been worth every penny for me.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
Ultimately it depends if you're planning to go out 2-3+ times a week regularly at the union. If you are, then go for it. However the regular Platinum card isn't really worth it in my opinion (I had it last year) so go for Platinum extra or none at all.

Another thing to bear in mind is if you buy it now, then get to uni to find no one in your flat/none of your friends have bought it, then you wouldn't be queuing with them, etc. So it may be worth waiting until the first few days of your arrival before deciding whether to get one (they usually sold them for a few more days after arrival from my experience).
I'd agree that, in my opinion, it's better to go either Platinum Extra or none as Platinum only really benefits you in the first term and if you use that enough to make your money back on it then you may as well have got Platinum Extra and got a whole lot more from it! I got Platinum Extra last year and it made going out at the union a whole lot easier as I didn't have to worry about paying to get in! My flatmates have all bought it again this year after seeing how useful it was when I had it last year (they only got Platinum last time), but then again we went out in the union a lot more than going out in town - whereas if you prefer going out in town to the union you'll probably not save as much.

The Freshers Ball ticket alone will save you a decent amount to begin with so you can make your money back on it pretty quickly - and there are usually drinks offers with it too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
http://www.lufbra.net/platinum/

They say that the cards will be issued the first three days. Does that mean that the cards are not issued after those three days?
Reply 5
Original post by evolish
http://www.lufbra.net/platinum/

They say that the cards will be issued the first three days. Does that mean that the cards are not issued after those three days?

I think the Returners extra will be issued from the reception from 3rd October if you don't collect it in the first few days, so I'd imagine it would be the same for Platinum and Platinum Extra as well.
Reply 6
How much does freshers ball cost / how much is it with the card?
Reply 7
Original post by Katharine
How much does freshers ball cost / how much is it with the card?

Here you go as on the official website:

tinum Extra // ONLY £139. YOU SAVE OVER £330
£3.60 Freshers FND (feat Modestep)
£3.60 Hey Ewe Paint Party
£3.60 Returners FND (feat Scott Mills)
£37.50 Freshers Ball (feat Gym Class Heroes, DJ Fresh, Yasmin & more... )
£108.00 All Hey Ewes
£104.40 All FND's
£36.00 Bring a friend for free (to selected FNDs & Hey Ewe's)
£7.50 Tony Lee, X-Rated Hypnotist
£1.00 Don't tell Your Mother / Freshers Launch Night / 9th October
£3.00 Don't tell Your Mother - feat. Stuart Goldsmith / 23rd October
£102.00 FREE Cloak room (All year long!)
£15.00 Gigs - £5 off 3 selected LSU gigs
£30.00 Stupid Tuesday FREE ALL YEAR
£6.00 Flix - 3 free Freshers week showings
Platinum Extra // ON SALE Monday 5th September @ 10AM

Platinum // ONLY £79. YOU SAVE OVER £95
£3.60 Freshers FND (feat Modestep)
£3.60 Hey Ewe Paint Party
£3.60 Returners FND (feat Scott Mills)
£37.50 Freshers Ball (feat Gym Class Heroes, DJ Fresh, Yasmin & more... )
£15.60 Selected Hey Ewes
£21.60 Selected FND's
£7.50 Tony Lee, X-Rated Hypnotist
£1.00 Don't tell Your Mother / Freshers Launch Night / 9th October
£3.00 Don't tell Your Mother - feat. Stuart Goldsmith / 23rd October
£3.00 FREE Hey Ewe Card
£34.00 FREE Cloak room (for one term)
£15.00 Gigs - £5 off 3 selected LSU gigs
£10.00 Stupid Tuesday FREE for the 1st term
£6.00 Flix - 3 free Freshers week showings
Platinum // ON SALE Monday 5th September @ 10AM
Reply 8
Hey, do we still have to pay our hall subs as well as getting the platinum extra card?
Original post by Kris_93
Hey, do we still have to pay our hall subs as well as getting the platinum extra card?

Yes.
Reply 10
Oh balls! Well there go this weekends plans! Sigh it will be worth it!
Reply 11
I can't decide whether or not to get one. Do many people have them?
How long will it be on sale for?
I'm definitely getting one, going by the facebook freshers group A LOT of people have one and it seems the way to go if you want to get in free to the union all year. And naturally your freshers ball ticket is included.
Reply 14
can you buy a freshers ball ticket on it's own?
Original post by dilbag
can you buy a freshers ball ticket on it's own?

Yep :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Yep :smile:

Thanks, any idea when and how to get hold of one?
Original post by dilbag
Thanks, any idea when and how to get hold of one?

Can't remember :tongue: But they should be advertised fairly obviously during freshers week.
Can you get one upon arrival? I'd rather do as one poster said above and wait to see what my flatmates are doing before buying.
Original post by Colour Me Pretty
Can you get one upon arrival? I'd rather do as one poster said above and wait to see what my flatmates are doing before buying.

I think you can if there are any left, but I think I saw someone say on FB they only have about 500 and once they are all gone they don't release any more. Somebody also worked out that even if you just go to the union once a week, the card pays for itself, without all the added benefits xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending