The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dnumberwang
In that case how can anyone say one university is better than another university?

There are things to grade universities on (and they are looked at by impartial people etc), what do you grade a course on? The only things I could think of is content and difficulty. Content is subjective as to which one is preferred, and difficulty is very hard to compare. I've heard Warwick students saying they've looked at some Oxford problem sheets online and could do them all and vice versa - it depends on individuals in that case - there is no set class of difficulty.

Mind you, it matters more that these two courses are supposedly so similarly good. If they were miles apart in difficulty you could tell just by looking at questions from each course, but minute differences aren't going to be noticed either way overall.
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Dude, you have literally the same as me I think. :colone: Although Beautiful maths clashed with Stats and I think I chose Stats and Maths instead. I wonder what that says about me. (I only did it because the beauty one was 30 mins and the other was an hour lol)

Maybe i'll spot you over there :wink:
If anybody has a PS that I want to be reviewed, feel free to post it here

(We don't bite BTW :ninja: :tongue: )
Original post by cpdavis

At what stage should we be putting our PS on there? Final draft, first draft...?
Original post by cpdavis

I'll do it at some point... I just need to read it to myself repeatedly until I don't cringe

Warwick's fully booked now. Bit harsh on people who are away today :tongue:
I guess booking is just so you could attend the talks, luckily I should be able to visit the campus whenever I like
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by TheMagicMan
At what stage should we be putting our PS on there? Final draft, first draft...?

Well put on a draft that can be read from start to finish (ie not in rough format) then we will look at it properly :yep:
Original post by cpdavis
Well put on a draft that can be read from start to finish (ie not in rough format) then we will look at it properly :yep:

If I can put mine in more than once I'll submit right now. I'm subliminally asking how long the queue is. :P
Original post by Jampolo
Maybe i'll spot you over there :wink:

I'll be expecting it! :P I'll PM you with details! :wink:
I'll do it at some point... I just need to read it to myself repeatedly until I don't cringe

Warwick's fully booked now. Bit harsh on people who are away today :tongue:
I guess booking is just so you could attend the talks, luckily I should be able to visit the campus whenever I like

They should have done it yesterday. :P But come to the talks, they may sway your decision. :smile:
They should have done it yesterday. :P But come to the talks, they may sway your decision. :smile:

I haven't booked :colonhash: I could probably go in anyway, but I'd fall asleep and if anything would sway my decision it is just looking at the campus :tongue:

I highly doubt it, but being the open minded **** I am, I'll still go have a look
(edited 12 years ago)
I haven't booked :colonhash: I could probably go in anyway, but I'd fall asleep and if anything would sway my decision it is just looking at the campus :tongue:

Oh LOL. *awkward moment* :P. I think it'd be pretty funny if there was like a crowd of people trying to force their way into the lectures at the Zeeman building. Would remind of the looting but in a maths style. :colone:
I'll be expecting it! :P I'll PM you with details! :wink:

pictures on profile, although i have short hair now, look out for me :colone: im coming for u..
Original post by Jampolo
pictures on profile, although i have short hair now, look out for me :colone: im coming for u..

:colone: Imma bring my shotty. LOL JK, when the date gets closer, I'll PM you. I think Rahuls coming too, and it seems Hassi is, and others, it can be a TSR get together! :O ;D

EDIT: 14 POSTS WAY FROM 1000 :colone:
:colone: Imma bring my shotty. LOL JK, when the date gets closer, I'll PM you. I think Rahuls coming too, and it seems Hassi is, and others, it can be a TSR get together! :O ;D

EDIT: 14 POSTS WAY FROM 1000 :colone:

LOOOOL RAHUL. Ima take mans out. I wish i could tag him in this post. Funnily enough hassi spotted me at the Cam open day :tongue: emmanuel ftw. But yeah we can all meet and have a big picnic with cheese sandwiches and milk! :wink::biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by Jampolo
LOOOOL RAHUL. Ima take mans out. I wish i could tag him in this post. Funnily enough hassi spotted me at the Cam open day :tongue: emmanuel ftw. But yeah we can all meet and have a big picnic with cheese sandwiches and milk! :wink::biggrin::biggrin:

LOL. Gotta love that guy (no homo). Emmanuel is ftw. My fav college for no particular reason lol, just seems to hold the most prestige within the Cambridge colleges to me. Allow Picnics, jump to the nearest Pizza Hut. :biggrin:

EDIT: I'm off now dude, gonna do a C3 revision session to 5Am then sleep. We'll chat tmoz. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
LOL. Gotta love that guy (no homo). Emmanuel is ftw. My fav college for no particular reason lol, just seems to hold the most prestige within the Cambridge colleges to me. Allow Picnics, jump to the nearest Pizza Hut. :biggrin:

EDIT: I'm off now dude, gonna do a C3 revision session to 5Am then sleep. We'll chat tmoz. :smile:

yeah idk if im gonna apply there now cos its like the top college in teh uni. Hmm the black in me says KFC, if there is one that is :frown:

5am? sick ****.
ALL ABOARD THE SICK **** EXPRESS (ZYZZZZZZ)

excuse me if you dont have a clue who im on about.

Im saving my C3 until tomorrow evening, got gym, economics and a PS to do tomorrow. night night :smile:

oh ****, it's legs day tomorrow. fml.
Original post by Miller693
Cheers, why no Warwick though you ask? Well, I'm not too keen on the area to be honest when I did visit. Though I have heard it has a brilliant reputation. I think I preferred Durham and Bath over Warwick and I need some unis that will give lower offers just in case (I know I already have the A*, just being cautious about physics).
It was an option though.

Warwick Uni's location is basically the same as Bath - both on the outskirts of a city (Coventry and Bath), with a larger city nearby (Birmingham and Bristol). And with Warwick you also have the student town of Leamington Spa nearby.

Bath and Durham are more in fields than Warwick is :colonhash:

**Fun fact! The University of Warwick campus is situated half in Coventry and half in Warwickshire. The campus is actually closer to Coventry City Centre than it is to Warwick (the town). Actually I've never been to Warwick the town :colonhash: after two years at Warwick (the uni).

I highly doubt it, but being the open minded **** I am, I'll still go have a look

Yeah just turn up, it's not as if there are security guarding the fences perimeter. However there are park and ride facilities running that day since campus can't cope with the traffic. I'm sure someone on here will be able to post the details :smile:

And yeah, I agree that if the courses are close enough in reputation and job prospects then you should start considering other things - but rather than just 'location' you should be asking yourself what life would be like living 3 or 4 years in this place. How good are the facilities and the atmosphere and the nightlife? If you've lived in the city all your life you might find a campus uni like Warwick a bit weird, but similarly those who live in leafy suburbs might hate city life.

Oh and if anyone is visiting a university over the coming few weeks, I'd suggest you take the opportunity before term starts to have a look at any accommodation available. During any departmental open days it is more difficult to get tours of halls since they are occupied - accommodation is a decision that you will be making in 6 months time so perhaps getting even a slightest idea (and writing your opinions down in a safe place like in an email) will help when you eventually apply for accommodation (or even for a specific uni), wherever you may end up. :yy:
(edited 12 years ago)
If I can put mine in more than once I'll submit right now. I'm subliminally asking how long the queue is. :P

Well it's not too busy now, but it will get really busy just before each deadline. However the middle of september onwards will get busy
Original post by Jampolo
yeah idk if im gonna apply there now cos its like the top college in teh uni. Hmm the black in me says KFC, if there is one that is :frown:

5am? sick ****.
ALL ABOARD THE SICK **** EXPRESS (ZYZZZZZZ)

excuse me if you dont have a clue who im on about.

Im saving my C3 until tomorrow evening, got gym, economics and a PS to do tomorrow. night night :smile:

oh ****, it's legs day tomorrow. fml.

LOL. KFC. :colone: The 100% Asian in my says the local curry house? :P I've finished my 2nd draft of my P.S, but I still think it's *&%^ :/ Damn, haven't been gym in a month because of Ramadan, my membership is £38 a month aswell *_* I used to enjoy gym, now it's just a chore, can't handle the pain no more. :frown:
LOL. KFC. :colone: The 100% Asian in my says the local curry house? :P I've finished my 2nd draft of my P.S, but I still think it's *&%^ :/ Damn, haven't been gym in a month because of Ramadan, my membership is £38 a month aswell *_* I used to enjoy gym, now it's just a chore, can't handle the pain no more. :frown:

haha, this is a pretty culturally diverse thread we got here :wink:
Need to finish PS today, i've sort of longed it off. My membership is only 17 a month cos i signed up with friends :P i got inspiration and motivation, mainly THIS GUY

THE MUSIC IS FUARKING AWESOME. He's ripped, everywhere. Plus chicks love him.

tut tut you got to push yourself, seriously today was legs day and im on machines and i cant even walk to get off i just like roll to the nearest chair. :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest