The Student Room Group

Make-up ideas, colours, techniques

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Sazzle4
Anyone got any good suggestions for a look I can create using either the Urban Decay Naked Pallette, the Urban Decay Sustainable Pallette or the Too Faced Natual Eye Pallette?
I'm a bridesmaid this weekend and taking those three pallettes with me. At the moment I'm planning on using the Too Faced one and working with the 'Fashion' set of colours (the bottom of the three sets). However, I'm aware matte colours can be better for photos so if anyone has any ideas for matte colours (particularly from the Naked Pallette as I got this quite recently and am still in the honeymoon period with it ha ha) I'd be really interested to try them!

I found some tutorials for you. But most of them are of the naked palette. Couldnt find many for the too faced.

Urban Decay: Too faced Romantic eye Palette (romantic eye look)

Urban Decay Naked Palette : Naked Look

Urban Decay Naked Palette : Neutral Smokey Look

Urban Decay Naked Palette : Naked eye

If they're not what your looking for post again and we'll see what we can find :smile:
Original post by Sazzle4
Anyone got any good suggestions for a look I can create using either the Urban Decay Naked Pallette, the Urban Decay Sustainable Pallette or the Too Faced Natual Eye Pallette?
I'm a bridesmaid this weekend and taking those three pallettes with me. At the moment I'm planning on using the Too Faced one and working with the 'Fashion' set of colours (the bottom of the three sets). However, I'm aware matte colours can be better for photos so if anyone has any ideas for matte colours (particularly from the Naked Pallette as I got this quite recently and am still in the honeymoon period with it ha ha) I'd be really interested to try them!

Choose one of the shimmery colours from the naked palette or one of the others, I think sidecar would be beautiful for a bridesmaid look, then blend naked above it into the crease and just above (i really like the no7 blend and contour brush for blending, very comparable to the mac 217 and costs a fraction of the price) and then blend buck into the outer corner between the two shades, a little at first until you have the intensity you want. Then on a slightly damp angled brush use creep along the lash line, you can smoke that out too with the blending brush for a softer look if you like. Then lots of mascara and your done. You could also blend naked and buck under the outer two thirds of the lower lashline, and sidecar (or whichever shimmery shadow you chose) in the inner third and blend if you like, but i like the babydoll look of keeping the lower lashline clean during the day.
Oh and virgin, as a highlight is beautiful.
Original post by Lovin
What are you talking about?! Some of these looks are really quite pretty and it's only because most of the pictures are close up's of the eye they look over dramatised. Some of these pctures are from celebrity faces. Your telling me tthat youd run from a celebrity wearing professional make-up?
Have you even looked through the whole thread.

Well I'll take your word for it but would real people actually use this?!

Reply 123
Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
Well I'll take your word for it but would real people actually use this?!

Well yes. I played around with these colours for a bit yesterday and got quite a nice shimmering purple colour with a little hot pink used in it too. Tried out from this look. :

Not exact but will take a little more practice. All because they are dramatic colours does not mean you end up looking like this :

For instance ::

Dramatic colours and make-up can make you really pretty ::

Natural

Blue and Yellow

Red and Black or pink and black

Very Pale Green

Blue (belive it or not)

all because theyre bright colours does not mean they will look stupid. It's all about how you blend and USE the colours.
Original post by Lovin

This is amazing. :eek:
EDIT:: just noticed something. this looks like the nightmare before christmas theme. With the smirly hill and jack the lantern stood ontop of it. Is that the theme to this eye shadow do you know?

Indeed it is! Not a wearable look but for fancy dress pretty epic!
Original post by Lovin

EDIT:: just noticed something. this looks like the nightmare before christmas theme. With the smirly hill and jack the lantern stood ontop of it. Is that the theme to this eye shadow do you know?

Reply 126
Original post by greeneyedgirl

I like it. For fancy dress of course as you mentioned. Although it would take a lot of time to draw all this on, does it come in them funny sticker things tht u just rub over ur eye and walla the pic is just there?
Reply 127
Original post by Lovin
What colour dress are you going to wear?

It's this:http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_008010434042?CMP=OTC-GOOGLEPS

So the signature colour is turquoise but I have very blue eyes so strong blue based shadows are often a bit much on me, although I find I can get away with them as an accent colour or liner etc.
Reply 128
Original post by Sazzle4
It's this:http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_008010434042?CMP=OTC-GOOGLEPS

So the signature colour is turquoise but I have very blue eyes so strong blue based shadows are often a bit much on me, although I find I can get away with them as an accent colour or liner etc.

Well that dress first off is so very cute. I love it. :tongue:

Just zoomed in on the model and she's wearing a lovely natural colour of eye shadow. Very easily doable with the naked palette. Doesnt overpower her too much and I think if u wear too much blue it's going to look odd. Especially as the dress has a lot of blue in it.

Did you look at those tutorials I quoted you in?
Reply 129
Original post by Lovin
I found some tutorials for you. But most of them are of the naked palette. Couldnt find many for the too faced.

Urban Decay: Too faced Romantic eye Palette (romantic eye look)

Urban Decay Naked Palette : Naked Look

Urban Decay Naked Palette : Neutral Smokey Look

Urban Decay Naked Palette : Naked eye

If they're not what your looking for post again and we'll see what we can find :smile:

Thanks! These are all very helpful :smile:

Original post by GeekPervert
Choose one of the shimmery colours from the naked palette or one of the others, I think sidecar would be beautiful for a bridesmaid look, then blend naked above it into the crease and just above (i really like the no7 blend and contour brush for blending, very comparable to the mac 217 and costs a fraction of the price) and then blend buck into the outer corner between the two shades, a little at first until you have the intensity you want. Then on a slightly damp angled brush use creep along the lash line, you can smoke that out too with the blending brush for a softer look if you like. Then lots of mascara and your done. You could also blend naked and buck under the outer two thirds of the lower lashline, and sidecar (or whichever shimmery shadow you chose) in the inner third and blend if you like, but i like the babydoll look of keeping the lower lashline clean during the day.
Oh and virgin, as a highlight is beautiful.

Thank you! This sounds like it would be gorgeous, I'll definitely give it a try. I'm going to have a good play over the next couple of evenings! Very excited! I also love the No.7 Blending Brush, I bought it using one of those vouchers for #5 off that you get so often in Boots and it's fantastic!
Reply 130
Original post by Lovin
Well that dress first off is so very cute. I love it. :tongue:

Just zoomed in on the model and she's wearing a lovely natural colour of eye shadow. Very easily doable with the naked palette. Doesnt overpower her too much and I think if u wear too much blue it's going to look odd. Especially as the dress has a lot of blue in it.

Did you look at those tutorials I quoted you in?

I'm just watching one of them now :smile: Good thinking on copying the model's make up too, I'll have a zoom in!
Reply 131
Original post by Sazzle4
Thanks! These are all very helpful :smile:

Thank you! This sounds like it would be gorgeous, I'll definitely give it a try. I'm going to have a good play over the next couple of evenings! Very excited! I also love the No.7 Blending Brush, I bought it using one of those vouchers for #5 off that you get so often in Boots and it's fantastic!

Must go have a look for that, I have body shop brushes but seem to be in need of a brush and quite willing to try out some more. how much is it?
Reply 132
Original post by Lovin
Must go have a look for that, I have body shop brushes but seem to be in need of a brush and quite willing to try out some more. how much is it?

I think it's around 6 or 7 pounds (don't know why but my pound symbol is just giving my hashes right now?! ha ha). I don't think it's much more than that as I remember looking for something that would be cheap with a fiver off! I'm not a huge fan of No.7 products so even five pounds off didn't make their make up worth it too me, but it made their brushes just a couple of quid so I gave it a try and loved it. It's definitely one of the best blending brushes I've tried and I'm normally a Body Shop brush user myself.
Reply 133
Original post by Sazzle4
I think it's around 6 or 7 pounds (don't know why but my pound symbol is just giving my hashes right now?! ha ha). I don't think it's much more than that as I remember looking for something that would be cheap with a fiver off! I'm not a huge fan of No.7 products so even five pounds off didn't make their make up worth it too me, but it made their brushes just a couple of quid so I gave it a try and loved it. It's definitely one of the best blending brushes I've tried and I'm normally a Body Shop brush user myself.

Definately going to go have a look then. I have an avon brush I use for blending sometimes but its quite crap. To be frank. So looking for a nice new one. I love the body shop brushes but since i have a no7 voucher. Might aswell use it. And yeh I feel the same I dont generally use no7 never have. But a brush i cant see the harm with.
Reply 134
Original post by Lovin
Definately going to go have a look then. I have an avon brush I use for blending sometimes but its quite crap. To be frank. So looking for a nice new one. I love the body shop brushes but since i have a no7 voucher. Might aswell use it. And yeh I feel the same I dont generally use no7 never have. But a brush i cant see the harm with.

Yeah, I've tried a few bits from Avon that always look promising and usually disappoint!
Definitely worth trying the No.7 brushes if you've got the voucher though.
Reply 135
Original post by Lovin
Awesome hun, nice to see people joining the thread :biggrin: Will update it regularly and check back to previous pages for other ideas. I did a section on green, and smokey eyes. There are tutorials too and if you find any make-up that is fantastic to wear, post a pic and maybe even an online link to a place you can buy it from, and tell us why you think it's great :biggrin:.

(again that sleek eye shadow someone reccomended to the thread is fantastic. Not too sure who it was and cant quote anyone else from a dfferent page but thanks)

I posted something a few pages back covering different smokey eye techniques. You can add a bit of black to any colour to make it smokey. Green, blue, purple, even red. So dont be afraid to try to experiment out of the normal. I like the smouldering smokey eye which is basically brown mixed with black on the outer lid, a lighter brown for the inner lid and obviously a brown for the mid ld and blended out to the skin with a peach. works lovely and gives a very nice sensual smoulder look :biggrin:
This thread is all about being adventurous. Give it a go. No harm in practising :biggrin:

Ooo thanks, I shall try :wink:
Reply 136
Original post by Doofy
Ooo thanks, I shall try :wink:

Awesome hun :smile:

Look forward to hearing about your ideas and techniques :smile:
I know it's not quite appropriate since summer is ending, but better late than never: I've had the honor of working with make up artists who are well known in the industry and a trick that a lot of them use is applying Dr. Lipp as a highlighter instead of the normal stuff. It gives you a far more glossy appearance and is great for beach-inspired looks. Apparently it was even used liberally on Jlo in her Into You video beach scenes. Pretty much all the make up artists and other models I know carry a tube of this stuff everywhere since it's so versatile - it can be used for cracked cuticles, lips, dry skin and (what most people are unaware of) used to add a nice shine to wherever you dab it on. I'm not sure if you can use vaseline as a cheaper alternative, but I'd imagine that in a pinch, it'd do as well.

Other things I've picked up over the years: when applying red lipstick, I now lightly apply foundation on my lips first, apply the lipstick, blot off then reapply. The foundation gives you a stronger, 'truer' color that looks more like the lipstick in the tube and the blotting off and reapplying makes it last longer. Also, using a toothbrush and lightly brushing them before helps flake off dry skin when they're chapped. Lush sell some really nice flavored lip sugars that do the same job and taste great as well. Either way, you achieve smooth lips and your lipstick will glide wonderfully over them.

There's others I'm sure I know but I'm heading out and they aren't really coming to mind, so that'll have to do for now.
Reply 138
Original post by doubledot
I know it's not quite appropriate since summer is ending, but better late than never: I've had the honor of working with make up artists who are well known in the industry and a trick that a lot of them use is applying Dr. Lipp as a highlighter instead of the normal stuff. It gives you a far more glossy appearance and is great for beach-inspired looks. Apparently it was even used liberally on Jlo in her Into You video beach scenes. Pretty much all the make up artists and other models I know carry a tube of this stuff everywhere since it's so versatile - it can be used for cracked cuticles, lips, dry skin and (what most people are unaware of) used to add a nice shine to wherever you dab it on. I'm not sure if you can use vaseline as a cheaper alternative, but I'd imagine that in a pinch, it'd do as well.

Other things I've picked up over the years: when applying red lipstick, I now lightly apply foundation on my lips first, apply the lipstick, blot off then reapply. The foundation gives you a stronger, 'truer' color that looks more like the lipstick in the tube and the blotting off and reapplying makes it last longer. Also, using a toothbrush and lightly brushing them before helps flake off dry skin when they're chapped. Lush sell some really nice flavored lip sugars that do the same job and taste great as well. Either way, you achieve smooth lips and your lipstick will glide wonderfully over them.

There's others I'm sure I know but I'm heading out and they aren't really coming to mind, so that'll have to do for now.

Wow, thanks for replying hun. Never heard of this Dr. Lip stuff. Do you have a link where you can buy it or anything? Sounds rather handy to have really. Can it be used to all kinds of looks not just the beach ones?
Original post by Lovin
Wow, thanks for replying hun. Never heard of this Dr. Lip stuff. Do you have a link where you can buy it or anything? Sounds rather handy to have really. Can it be used to all kinds of looks not just the beach ones?

Searched and found a video for you. It's actually a link to a lady who has done my make up before and she shows you how to use this stuff (it's at the end). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Um9AkLELBY

Not sure where you can buy it but I get mine online. Just google Dr. Lipp and there should be tonnes of links to stores selling it.

Quick Reply

Latest