The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zoedotdot
:lol: how did you do it??? I removed the emphasis to make it harder for future generations (and also because I like to pretend I still have a modicum of privacy) :p:

It involved multi-site searching and subject correlation exploration.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by Gooner231
It involved multi-site searching and subject correlation exploration.

I'll admit it, I'm impressed :biggrin: I thought you might head to the 2008 freshers group, which is the obvious place to start as I was as spammy on there as I am on here!
Original post by Hypocrism
Excellent, go the bowl-shaped staircases :wink:

Always the bowl-shaped staircases... and the groundfloor rooms, haha
Always the bowl-shaped staircases... and the groundfloor rooms, haha

Of course! I'm liking the descriptions of our rooms, and handy tips, I think I'll be having tea+cookies in U1 :biggrin: I met my neighbour as well
Of course! I'm liking the descriptions of our rooms, and handy tips, I think I'll be having tea+cookies in U1 :biggrin: I met my neighbour as well

Yet to meet mine, sadly. I'm feeling the tea + baked goods idea (although I myself will be sticking to coffee... espresso machine anyone?)

EDIT: Having looked at espresso machine prices I think a cafetiere will do just fine :tongue:
Yet to meet mine, sadly. I'm feeling the tea + baked goods idea (although I myself will be sticking to coffee... espresso machine anyone?)

EDIT: Having looked at espresso machine prices I think a cafetiere will do just fine :tongue:

I was going to suggest a moka pot <3, but in first year you won't have hobs, I guess. Although I've heard you can get electric ones... ooh.

I don't like coffee, of course that will probably change during uni as I said the same about tea before 6th form, and now could probably live off it alone.
I don't like coffee, of course that will probably change during uni as I said the same about tea before 6th form, and now could probably live off it alone.

Any decent espresso machine/moka pot thing will convince you otherwise... Probably.
Depends on the coffee grounds as well. The stuff I've got at the moment is a bit meh, but I'm waiting to finish it before I start on some hopefully better tasting coffee in a few days time.
Reply 1489
Hello! I just heard my college room will be Y11 in North Court. I already did some spying on the online room database, but I didn't seem to be able to find to room. Does anyone know what it is like? Also, will any of you be living in North Court too? :smile:
Reply 1490
Original post by ~*mari*~
Hello! I just heard my college room will be Y11 in North Court. I already did some spying on the online room database, but I didn't seem to be able to find to room. Does anyone know what it is like? Also, will any of you be living in North Court too? :smile:

The online rooms database on the ECSU website is mainly for students already at the college, so I think it mainly lists rooms for second and third years. If you want to see pictures of North Court, then there should be some here: http://www.ecsu.org.uk/prospective_students/room_photos However, it looks like the website has just been updated, and the link isn't working for me! If you know the grade of your room, there should be photos of a fairly similar room in North Court online, even if it's not the same room. Hope that helps!
Reply 1491
Original post by Mc^3
The online rooms database on the ECSU website is mainly for students already at the college, so I think it mainly lists rooms for second and third years. If you want to see pictures of North Court, then there should be some here: http://www.ecsu.org.uk/prospective_students/room_photos However, it looks like the website has just been updated, and the link isn't working for me! If you know the grade of your room, there should be photos of a fairly similar room in North Court online, even if it's not the same room. Hope that helps!

Thank you, that was helpful indeed! The link isn't working for me either yet, but I shall certainly remember it. I have been allocated a grade four room, which sounds absolutely great, though I suppose my room will be looking quite empty, as I am an international student and won't be able to bring many things with me to Cambridge..
Reply 1492
Original post by ~*mari*~
Thank you, that was helpful indeed! The link isn't working for me either yet, but I shall certainly remember it. I have been allocated a grade four room, which sounds absolutely great, though I suppose my room will be looking quite empty, as I am an international student and won't be able to bring many things with me to Cambridge..

I'm having the same problem having just moved to France :redface: Don't worry, you'll accumulate plenty of rubbish stuff to fill it with!
Original post by Mc^3

I don't know if it's just me, but I can't find south court on the room database?
I don't know if it's just me, but I can't find south court on the room database?

That's because South Court is exclusively first years accommodation but the room database is for current students picking a room for the next year :smile:
Reply 1495
Hi, when staying in the halls i've heard en-suite facility's are very unlikely in your first year, how good are the shared bathroom facilities? How many are they shared between? And does anyone know what the gym is like there?
Thanks alot!
If I'm not mistaken there are only 50 ensuite rooms in the whole college, and those are all rooms for second and third years (and students returning from a year abroad). The bathrooms are shared between 4–6 people in South Court, and possibly more in North Court.

The gym is brand new as of this year.
Reply 1497
Original post by Zhen Lin
If I'm not mistaken there are only 50 ensuite rooms in the whole college, and those are all rooms for second and third years (and students returning from a year abroad). The bathrooms are shared between 4–6 people in South Court, and possibly more in North Court.

The gym is brand new as of this year.

Thanks :smile: Do they have a free weights section in the gym? And in these bathrooms is there ever ques?

Also is it possible to use other colleges facilities, Such as another colleges swimming pool or gym? (Understand that wouldn't be a problem with Emmanuel but out of curiosity)

Narrowed down my college choices alot and just trying to get these final details!
Original post by Orrin
Hi, when staying in the halls i've heard en-suite facility's are very unlikely in your first year, how good are the shared bathroom facilities? How many are they shared between? And does anyone know what the gym is like there?
Thanks alot!

By very unlikely, read none at all.

The shared bathrooms are good. The bedders keep them clean, there's normally several per staircase so you'd be unlucky to have to regularly wait, and the temperature and pressure are good.

In south court at least, the most that ever share one is 7 people, but that's if you're unlucky and end up on L staircase (which has a fellow's room on it, so the other one is effectively stolen.

Most other staircases it's 1 between 5 people or 1 between 2 on the ground floor (you can always use one from another floor) (3 between 12 on V and M2 staircases, 4 between 17 on M and U, not sure about L2)

For North court it varies a lot more, in terms of quality and number sharing, because of the very non-uniform layout of North Court, but I think it averages around the same, and they're still all good quality.

They're all cleaned frequently by your bedder.

No one knows anything about the gym beyond a few rumours, it only opens at the start of this year. It should be reasonably equipped, but it's not going to be huge.
There's also a gym in the boat house down by the Cam, although that's obviously mainly rowing machines.
Finally, there's a sports centre just across Parker's Piece with a huge gym, but that will cost you membership.

Original post by Orrin
Thanks :smile: Do they have a free weights section in the gym? And in these bathrooms is there ever ques?

Also is it possible to use other colleges facilities, Such as another colleges swimming pool or gym? (Understand that wouldn't be a problem with Emmanuel but out of curiosity)

Narrowed down my college choices alot and just trying to get these final details!

No idea about the weights, as mentioned no-one's ever seen it. The aforementioned sports centre near college will have weights though. They also have an indoor heated swimming pool for winter use.

It's possible to go into any college, though entry to some buildings may require you to be a member of that college (To have your uni card registered)
For example, no one from outside Emma could get into our Library.

Not that many colleges have gyms, let alone swimming pools. We're quite rare in that aspect. These things aren't a major priority for colleges, and they rarely have the room to build them.

As mentioned, queues for using a bathroom are rare, and only ever 1 person long. There are others available on every staircase.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1499
Original post by The Mr Z
By very unlikely, read none at all.

The shared bathrooms are good. The bedders keep them clean, there's normally several per staircase so you'd be unlucky to have to regularly wait, and the temperature and pressure are good.

In south court at least, the most that ever share one is 7 people, but that's if you're unlucky and end up on L staircase (which has a fellow's room on it, so the other one is effectively stolen.

Most other staircases it's 1 between 5 people or 1 between 2 on the ground floor (you can always use one from another floor) (3 between 12 on V and M2 staircases, 4 between 17 on M and U, not sure about L2)

For North court it varies a lot more, in terms of quality and number sharing, because of the very non-uniform layout of North Court, but I think it averages around the same, and they're still all good quality.

They're all cleaned frequently by your bedder.

No one knows anything about the gym beyond a few rumours, it only opens at the start of this year. It should be reasonably equipped, but it's not going to be huge.
There's also a gym in the boat house down by the Cam, although that's obviously mainly rowing machines.
Finally, there's a sports centre just across Parker's Piece with a huge gym, but that will cost you membership.

No idea about the weights, as mentioned no-one's ever seen it. The aforementioned sports centre near college will have weights though. They also have an indoor heated swimming pool for winter use.

It's possible to go into any college, though entry to some buildings may require you to be a member of that college (To have your uni card registered)
For example, no one from outside Emma could get into our Library.

Not that many colleges have gyms, let alone swimming pools. We're quite rare in that aspect. These things aren't a major priority for colleges, and they rarely have the room to build them.

As mentioned, queues for using a bathroom are rare, and only ever 1 person long. There are others available on every staircase.

Thanks alot! That was very helpful, do you have any idea as to what the price is at that sports centre? Cheers :smile:

Latest