The Student Room Group

Medics and Applicants Profiles: Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Honey:)
x

Applying abroad doesn't take up any UCAS slots, so you can apply to as many as you like.

The medical degree part, well that depends on the university. Prague is an internationally renowned med school. I imagine you can practice in the UK, in fact EU state, I'm practically sure.

If I remember rightly, St. George's allows you to work in the USA without sitting the exam a normal UK graduate would need to. I think it enables you to work in the UK too.

If you have a medical degree from outside the EU you can practice in the UK if you sit an equivalence test.
Original post by ryan118244
Medicine Re-Applicant 2011
PM me for any questions or help :smile:

Im a successful reapplicant!!! It just goes to show if you really want it you can get it!! Just dont ever give up!
Below is a link to my 2010 application profile which I massively improved on.

Link to 2010 Medicine Application Profile

Year of Entry: 2011

Deferred: No

GCSE's: A*A*A*a*AAABBDD (ICT, History, Additional Science, RE, Science, English Lit, English Lang, French, Maths, Applied Business Studies Double Award)

UKCAT: 670 Average
VR - 610
QR - 680
DA - 690
AR - 700

AS-Levels Achieved:
A - 96% (Psychology)
A - 94% (Biology)
A - 88% (Chemistry)
A - 100% (Sociology)
B - 75% (General Studies)

A-Levels Achieved:
A* - 93% (Psychology)
A* - 90% (Biology)
A - 85 % (Chemistry)
A* - AQA Baccalaureate
A* - Extended Project

Work Experience/ Volunteering:
1 week GP,
2 weeks Care Home,
1 week helping at Vitalise charity for disable adults,
Summer in north africa teaching english and helping at orphanages with 'Original Volunteers',
Week observership programme at hospital; radiology, labs, ENT surgeon, clinical audits,
1 week shadowing vascular surgeon,
2 years volunteering on geriatric ward at hospital,
1 year volunteering on childrens ward, pathology and orthodontic surgeon,
1 year volunteering at psychiatric hospital,
1 year volunteering at hospice,
3 months St Johns Ambulance (gained first aid certificate),
Part time job in coffee shop.

Extra Curricular:
Swimming and running at county level competitions,
School House official,
On student council at college,
Won best student award for 25th aniversary of college,
Piano grade 5 - 8
Pre-med course at Imperial College London,
Aikido - dark blue belt.

Universities Applied to:
Medicine

Manchester - Interviewed 13/12/10 - OFFER [Conditional on health check] - 21/03/11 - FIRM
Peninsula - Interviewed 29/11/10 - OFFER [Conditional on health check] - 24/01/11 - INSURANCE
St Andrews - Interviewed 16/02/11 - Rejected (High interview score but low academic score due to GCSEs, but overall application just below recieving an offer, they then later on said I might be put on a waitling list to recieve an offer in May-June/ September :dontknow: ) - 16/03/11
BSMS - Interviewed 27/11/10 - Rejected (One of the interviewers gave me a really high score the other 2 didnt, just below the offer boarderline) - 23/12/10
Biochemistry
UCL - OFFER [UC] - Declined

Hi, I am about to start my first year at College (in the Uk), so first year of A levels. And since my GCSE's aren;t great ( 2A's- Bio and Dutch, 5B's- Maths, Literature, Stats, Chem and Physics, and 3 C's- English Lang, R.E and GEography - stupid teacher made me do Foundation, could have gotten higher, But I might resit Maths and English lang, to get a higher level, and I got GCSE Equivbalent- 3A*'s- 2for ICT and one for P.E, and 3A's- 2 for ICT and one for media and 1B- The other one for media.)

However I am goign to work my butt off for A level, BMAT AND UKCAT and do loads of work expierence, if I get can find any.

Anyway what I was goign to ask, if I don;t get itno any of my uni choices, can I take a gap year and resit my GCSE's, but then the things is, if I do resit most of my GCSE's, I would get my end results in August, which then the Uni would know that I resat my GCSE's. Do the Uni's mind at all if I resat my GCSE's, or will they jusr reject me again. BTW I am willing to apply to ( In order of favourites)- Kings College, Barts and London, UCL, and The other one I don;t know, still figuring it out, depends which uni's don;t look storngly at GCSE;s I guess. I really want to study medicine, becasue I really love to be a pedeatrician, since I love kids and I always wanted to do something with medicine. Please help me.
I appreciate it.
Thanks a lot.:redface:
hi!omg!im in the same situation!well my gcses are mostly Bs including maths and both english's..and other unis want Bs and Cs rather than As...if i get As in alevel and have great work experiences aswell as doctor notes because i was in hospital during my GCSE studies...will i have a chance??i really want to be a medic like my sister.. thnx
Original post by Hygeia
Ok, we seem to be getting a lot of people discussing others profiles and commenting on them in the profiles thread so from now on any discussion will be moved here to keep the profiles clutter free.

Please use this thread to ask people about their profiles, comment on them and any other discussion to do with profiles.

hi!omg!im in the same situation!well my gcses are mostly Bs including maths and both english's..and other unis want Bs and Cs rather than As...if i get As in alevel and have great work experiences aswell as doctor notes because i was in hospital during my GCSE studies...will i have a chance??i really want to be a medic like my sister.. thnx :frown: :frown: :frown:
Original post by xxx1ezzie1xxx
Hi, I am about to start my first year at College (in the Uk), so first year of A levels. And since my GCSE's aren;t great ( 2A's- Bio and Dutch, 5B's- Maths, Literature, Stats, Chem and Physics, and 3 C's- English Lang, R.E and GEography - stupid teacher made me do Foundation, could have gotten higher, But I might resit Maths and English lang, to get a higher level, and I got GCSE Equivbalent- 3A*'s- 2for ICT and one for P.E, and 3A's- 2 for ICT and one for media and 1B- The other one for media.)

However I am goign to work my butt off for A level, BMAT AND UKCAT and do loads of work expierence, if I get can find any.

Anyway what I was goign to ask, if I don;t get itno any of my uni choices, can I take a gap year and resit my GCSE's, but then the things is, if I do resit most of my GCSE's, I would get my end results in August, which then the Uni would know that I resat my GCSE's. Do the Uni's mind at all if I resat my GCSE's, or will they jusr reject me again. BTW I am willing to apply to ( In order of favourites)- Kings College, Barts and London, UCL, and The other one I don;t know, still figuring it out, depends which uni's don;t look storngly at GCSE;s I guess. I really want to study medicine, becasue I really love to be a pedeatrician, since I love kids and I always wanted to do something with medicine. Please help me.
I appreciate it.
Thanks a lot.:redface:

hi!omg!im in the same situation!well my gcses are mostly Bs including maths and both english's..and other unis want Bs and Cs rather than As...if i get As in alevel and have great work experiences aswell as doctor notes because i was in hospital during my GCSE studies...will i have a chance??i really want to be a medic like my sister.. thnx
Original post by periwinkle304
Deferred?: No
GCSEs: 10A*s and 1.5 As
AS Grades: AAAAB
A2 Results: 3A*s and 1A
UKCAT: 730

Work Experience/Volunteering:
1 week renal - shadowed various doctors as well as nurses, physios, dieticians, watcher procedures, helped out on the wards.
1 weel cardiology - fairly similar, but smaller local hospital.
4 weeks volunteering in a stroke support unit
Extra Curricular:
Silver DofE
Flute - Grade 7, bands + orchestras etc
Amnesty International Group
Clinical Group at school
Head Girl

Universities applied to and decisions:
Nottingham - offer AAA
Sheffield - offer AAB
Birmingham - offer AAA
King's - offer AAAC

best of luck everyone yet to apply, happy to help with anything if you need it :smile:

hi!first of all congrats!and i hope you get the A2 grades you need!:smile: well my gcses aren't very impressve..mostly Bs..i have hospital notes because i was in hospital alot during my GCSEs...buh if my alevels become A's and i show my letters with tons of volunteering work and work experience...will i have a chance at medicine?thank you
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm not sure if anyone will take any notice of this but could i suggest that when people write "volunteering at hospital" it's too unspecific, this could be on the ward, very useful, or in the gift shop and then the fact it's in a hospital is irrelevant. So if people could say what they actually did that would be helpful.
Reply 267
Original post by Orinincandenza
I'm not sure if anyone will take any notice of this but could i suggest that when people write "volunteering at hospital" it's too unspecific, this could be on the ward, very useful, or in the gift shop and then the fact it's in a hospital is irrelevant. So if people could say what they actually did that would be helpful.

This is usually for privacy issues, I'd guess. I would assume that if somebody says "hospital" they mean in a clinical-ish environment. :smile:
Original post by hassanakhtaruk
hi!first of all congrats!and i hope you get the A2 grades you need!:smile: well my gcses are very impressve..mostly Bs..i have hospital notes because i was in hospital alot during my GCSEs...buh if my alevels become A's and i show my letters with tons of volunteering work and work experience...will i have a chance at medicine?thank you

hey :smile:, think this thread is meant to be no discussion, so look out for a pm :smile:
Original post by ctenses
Deferred?: no
GCSEs: 4A*s 5As
AS Grades: AAAA
A2 Prediction- A*A*A* outcome A*A*A
UKCAT (if applicable):662
BMAT (if applicable): 5.2 4.6 4A
Work Experience/Volunteering: 1 week shadowing consultant radiology, 1 week GP surgery, Age concern volunteering and charity shop
Extra Curricular: Rowing Captain, Trombone grade 7
Oxford: rejected without interview
UCL: rejected without interview
Kings: rejected without interview
Newcastle: rejected without interview

This is all true? What was with the neg rep?

How come u got no interviews?!?!?
Original post by gunner4lyf44

For Oxford, the GCSEs were not strong enough to give a realistic chance. For the others, it is less clear although only average BMAT/UKCAT probably had something to do with it.
Reply 271
Original post by gunner4lyf44

because my BMAT?UKCAT wasnt high enough to reach the interview cut offs
Reply 272
I'm confused why you did the foundation year if you got 3A's. If that's the level required to get into Leeds, I won't be going.
Reply 273
Original post by laurenl93
Year of Entry: 2012
Deferred?:reapplicant :smile:
GCSEs: 5A* 6A
AS Grades: aaaa
A2 Prediction/Results: A*AA (attained)
UKCAT (if applicable): 620ish
Work Experience/Volunteering: work as an auxiliary nurse on an orthopaedic ward, worked as a pharmacy dispenser for 1 year, work exp in 1 private hospital for 1 week in diff departments and sitting in on private consultations, work exp in 4 GP practices, volunteered in a hospital in lourdes, volunteered as a ward helper in a hospice for a year and a bit... cant remember but probably more. i pestered a lot of doctors.
Extra Curricular: ex county synchronised swimmer, ex county swimmer, running, oil painting... mmh mostly sports stuff i guess :/
Leeds: Rejection no interview
Liverpool: Rejection post interview
QUB: Unconditional <- FIRMED :smile:
Lancaster: Unconditional

Congratulations on the offers :smile: Im gonna reapply to medicine this year because I just got rejected from all my choices :/ I was thinking of applying to be a ward helper...could u please tell me what its like being a ward helper? And how did u apply for one? Im quite interested in becoming one. Thanks
Reply 274
I am going to apply for 2013 entry. I did quite few of the voluntary work.
-worked in care home for 3 months
-work experience at hospital
-helped my friends in maths after school
-got placement for St. John's ambulance
what do I need to do more?
how do you guys get placements?
(edited 11 years ago)
hello, can you get into medicine with:
2 A*, 4 A, 2 B and 1 C for GCSE
AABC for A-levels
3 year work experinece pharmacy, 3 month hospital and with gold+ silver duke of edinburgh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending