Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cadaeibfeceh
Just got back from The Skin I Live In

:|

How was it?
Original post by vitamortis
How was it?

Amazingly brilliantly outstandingly creepy. Everyone should see it and bask in its excellence!
Cowboys and Aliens was fairly enjoyable. But it stands as the biggest disappointment this year. I'm not saying it was a bad film but I really did expect a much, much better film with the likes of Ford and Craig at the forefront and a fresh idea for the plot and setting. There was literally a group of them going from place to place without moving the plot forward, at all really. Ultimately culminating in lacklustre action scenes. I didn't see the point in Olivia Wilde's character and a few things weren't even explained properly or perhaps I missed the explanation?...

Spoiler

I just look at the film and think that it could have been so much better.
Scream 4 has been my biggest disappointment of the year so far. And unless David Fincher turns Girl With the Dragon Tattoo into a two hour monologue about the tattoos he would like to adorn his body with, it will probably stay that way.
Reply 4164
Original post by Mr Incredible
Anybody seen Apollo 18 yet? Would love to hear some opinions before i go see it :p:

Saw it yesterday...very freaky!! they managed to do it well so that even though its all "found footage" it flows well and feels like a movie...well more than The Blair Witch Project anyway! :smile: .I haven't seen a film that made me jump and freak out as much as that one and it's definitely got to be seen in the cinema to get the full affect. :biggrin: ...just beware the cosmonaut! :wink:
Reply 4165
The line up for the London Film Festival is online. Looks impressive. Decided what I'm going to watch. Next task: getting tickets.

It's also dawned on me now just how close fashion month and FNO is. Getting giddy with excitement!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Cowboys and Aliens was fairly enjoyable. But it stands as the biggest disappointment this year. I'm not saying it was a bad film but I really did expect a much, much better film with the likes of Ford and Craig at the forefront and a fresh idea for the plot and setting. There was literally a group of them going from place to place without moving the plot forward, at all really. Ultimately culminating in lacklustre action scenes. I didn't see the point in Olivia Wilde's character and a few things weren't even explained properly or perhaps I missed the explanation?...

Spoiler

I just look at the film and think that it could have been so much better.

For gold? :rofl2:
Gonna watch Scream 1-3 this Monday :yep: hope they're good lol.....
Original post by vitamortis
For gold? :rofl2:

I know right. FFS. Aliens in Hollywood, honestly. For a superior species that have arguably accomplished (fictionally) travel at the speed of light or FTL, have all manner of advanced weaponry and resources and have traversed the entire universe to reach Earth, their reasoning and intelligence sure is a little retarded and ultimately come across as nothing more than dumb brutes. :colonhash:

Where was the alien anti-virus software in Independence Day? I ask you. :pierre:
Glengarry Glen Ross is probably one of my all-time favourite films. There is not a single acting performance in it that can be described as anything other than exceptional.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I know right. FFS. Aliens in Hollywood, honestly. For a superior species that have arguably accomplished (fictionally) travel at the speed of light or FTL, have all manner of advanced weaponry and resources and have traversed the entire universe to reach Earth, their reasoning and intelligence sure is a little retarded and ultimately come across as nothing more than dumb brutes. :colonhash:

Most alien invasions in films seem really poorly thought out - Hollywood just don't want us to know the truth...

Incidentally here's a good list of tips you should follow if trying to invade Earth (or any other terraform planet with intelligent life): http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HowToInvadeAnAlienPlanet
Reply 4171
Original post by Phalanges
Glengarry Glen Ross is probably one of my all-time favourite films. There is not a single acting performance in it that can be described as anything other than exceptional.

I love the little exchanges between Alan Arkin and Ed Harris, but it's Mamet's dialogue that sounds so natural you forget it's intricately written...
I just watched Revenge Of The Nerds and... just lol
needtosee30minutesorless

also, Fright night.
Original post by tombeale

I love the little exchanges between Alan Arkin and Ed Harris, but it's Mamet's dialogue that sounds so natural you forget it's intricately written...

Yeah, the dialogue is at such an incredibly high level that you forget it's even scripted and just believe you're watching something being lived. Not to mention how well it's all delivered (it always amazes me that Baldwin manages to steal the show from such a cast despite only being on screen about 5 minutes).
Reply 4175
Original post by lukejoshjedi
needtosee30minutesorless

Out on the 23rd. I'm looking forward to it.

The last film I saw was The Inbetweeners Movie. The dance scene was good; the rest was meh. What I was expecting.
Reply 4176
Original post by Phalanges
Yeah, the dialogue is at such an incredibly high level that you forget it's even scripted and just believe you're watching something being lived. Not to mention how well it's all delivered (it always amazes me that Baldwin manages to steal the show from such a cast despite only being on screen about 5 minutes).

Totally agree! Actually have to buy this now, along with House of Games, The Verdict & Wag the Dog!
If only there were a Mamet boxset...
Apparently Jurassic Park is getting a re-release at the cinema at the end of the month, for two weeks from the 23rd I think. I was too young to see it at the cinema but saw the other two films on the big screen so will have to make some time to go get the same treatment!
(edited 12 years ago)

Totally agree! Actually have to buy this now, along with House of Games, The Verdict & Wag the Dog!
If only there were a Mamet boxset...

I'm sure you'll have already seen it, but if not check out 12 Angry Men. The dialogue has a very similar feel to it.
Original post by Sonny_J_D
Most alien invasions in films seem really poorly thought out - Hollywood just don't want us to know the truth...

Incidentally here's a good list of tips you should follow if trying to invade Earth (or any other terraform planet with intelligent life): http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HowToInvadeAnAlienPlanet

I really enjoyed reading through that, thanks! :biggrin:

I came across another list a while ago, bit similar, about the hundreds of things a villain should never do (the type of thing Austin Powers parodies), but can't locate the link at the moment.

Quick Reply

Latest