The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nightmare91
He doesn't fulfill the minimum requirement and still wants to apply? That I call confidence :tongue: Actually, if you don't fulfill the minimum grade requirements, you will probably not even get invited to an interview, right? Why does he want to 'waste' a choice on his ucas form... :confused:

Ego.
I have just read (well over the last 24 hours) one hundred and sixty one pages of posts from last years Oxford Applicants thread...

It sounds like the snow was a nightmare for them in terms of their acceptance/rejection letters getting stuck in the post! The stress for them was almost painful to read, not looking forward to that... I think we should chose which college to apply to based on which send their outcome letters out first!
Hii :smile: I was looking through the (now rather large!!!) spreadsheet today at school and got really freaked out by the sudden mass (relatively, anyway) of people applying for German now...I was naively hoping I'd be the only one!

Did anyone else submit their PS on here, by the way? What kind of feedback did you guys get? I was quite lucky to get a really nice Cambridge student and not some kind of harsh sadist :tongue:
Original post by such_a_lady
Hii :smile: I was looking through the (now rather large!!!) spreadsheet today at school and got really freaked out by the sudden mass (relatively, anyway) of people applying for German now...I was naively hoping I'd be the only one!

Did anyone else submit their PS on here, by the way? What kind of feedback did you guys get? I was quite lucky to get a really nice Cambridge student and not some kind of harsh sadist :tongue:

I sent mine about a week ago, the Oxford/Cambridge(?) student was very helpful, although I think I should have drafted it further before I sent it off! I have quite a bit to work on :smile:
Original post by fluteflute
I have just read (well over the last 24 hours) one hundred and sixty one pages of posts from last years Oxford Applicants thread...

It sounds like the snow was a nightmare for them in terms of their acceptance/rejection letters getting stuck in the post! The stress for them was almost painful to read, not looking forward to that... I think we should chose which college to apply to based on which send their outcome letters out first!

Wow you read ALL of that? IMPRESSIVE! :biggrin:

Original post by such_a_lady

Yea I did. I got some really good feedback and also some tips on what possible questions the tutors could ask me regarding the 'economic theory' I discussed in the PS. Still have to work on the very last sentence though. I just don't find a good expression for that one :tongue:

Wow you read ALL of that? IMPRESSIVE! :biggrin:
I suppose I didn't read every single word, but I did at least visit every one of those page...

I had to stop myself! It does seem very nerve-racking and the letters are given so close to christmas :eek:
Original post by Perseverance

Original post by Perseverance
I had to stop myself! It does seem very nerve-racking and the letters are given so close to christmas :eek:
I think it's nice that we find out before Christmas, whereas applicants to the other place have to wait until after Christmas.

As long as it doesn't snow (and let's be honest it doesn't often) we'll be fine :biggrin:
Reply 5348
In light of the sudden sharing of interview experiences, I think its time to reveal I'm a re-applicant! I applied for history at Christchurch last year, got invited to a trrainwreck of an interview after a mediocre HAT, and was expectedly rejected.

Firstly:

Original post by PhateGBR
at Christchurch, leaving left-wing messages on the paper flip-chart.

That was you!!!!:eek: My friends and I stood around it for a while drinking tea and eating biscuits, going 'hmmmm...'

Original post by PhateGBR
Christchurch: Fanciest JCR in that they have giant TVs, a pool table and comfy leather chairs. An amazing hall (the one Harry Potter's great hall is based on in the movies, as I'm sure you all know), great looking college and good food. All this was offset, however, by the candidates we met there. There was a really snobby vibe to the place and when we went in to look for biscuits, one guy playing pool sneered at us and, in the poshest voice imaginable, actually said, "Eugh, noobies...". We met a really nice girl who was applying for English there who said that she didn't really get on with many of the other candidates, putting it down to her being a "statie" and a lot of the others being privately or publicly educated.

Might I ask if we met in Hall? one evening a boy lent over from a few seats down and said hello, and that he was from Balliol. That night there was turkey for dinner and the most amazing chocolate brownies for dessert!

I'm afraid I have to (shamefully) admit to a certain sense of unfounded pride in Chch while I was there, mainly due to how impressive the place was. However I didn't really think myself any better than candidates from other colleges, and a surprisingly large number of people I met had actually been allocated Chch, despite it being perceived as one of the more popular colleges. Also, the whole state/private school thing never really came up, and as far as I'm aware, nobody ever asked another candidate about it. Then again, as an international student, I didn't really get it in the first place, and most of my friends weren't from England.
What I'm trying to say is, don't be put off applying to Chch by its reputation as a snobby college. I was actually very worried about this, especially as a left wing Irish nationalist, and almost freaked out my first night when I found out the first person I spoke to was a viscount's daughter, and that one of the history tutors was so right wing that she thought stupid people shouldn't be allowed to vote. But I was pleasantly surprised. There was a fairly balanced mix of political ideologies, with a slight weighting in favour of centre/ left, and nobody really cared if you had different 'loyalties' to them. Though a friend of mine did get a lot of laughs when she announced she was a lib dem! Most people didn't care about politics at all. example:
Libdem friend to me: were you following the thing with the Miliband brothers?
Me: I remember one was quite good looking, and the other one won.
Mod languages applicant nearby: yeah he was good-looking...
Lib dem friend looks disconcerted:wink:
In conclusion, everyone I met there was really nice (including the viscounts daughter and a Tory in horned rimmed glasses who said the prayers in Latin in Hall!)

As for my interviews, both were disastrous, particularly the first one, which started off badly, and then got progressively worse as I realised how badly I was doing and panicked. I went blank on several questions I could have answered perfectly, and missed several opportunities to bring up topics I wanted to talk about. In hindsight, my advise to all interviewees would be to stay calm at all costs!!!

Funniest conversation was with aforementioned (very posh) Tory, who I was quite intimidated by, until:
Tory: Where are you from
Me: South Ireland
Tory: I have cousins in Killorglin
Me: I go to school in killorglin:eek:
Tory: I went there to visit once, I've never seen so many pubs in my life.
Reply 5349
Original post by caien

That was you!!!!:eek: My friends and I stood around it for a while drinking tea and eating biscuits, going 'hmmmm...'

Hahahaa brilliant! We weren't sure if anybody would even notice as when we went back to leave the second message, the first was still there untouched. I think the two were, "Every heart is a revolutionary cell" and "Property is theft", although one may have been "Your days of plenty are numbered" :P

Original post by caien
Might I ask if we met in Hall? one evening a boy lent over from a few seats down and said hello, and that he was from Balliol. That night there was turkey for dinner and the most amazing chocolate brownies for dessert!

Quite possibly! I do remember mentioning that I was interviewing at Balliol to somebody. We were sat at the end of one of the tables. Having said that, I know a guy called Nikhil also ate at Christchurch one evening, so it could have been him you spoke to.

I completely understand the whole pride thing. I still sometimes call Balliol "my college" despite not getting in, and obviously support them on University Challenge.
Reply 5350
Original post by malvika111
I was just wondering: I took French, Maths, English Lit and History at AS. I got 90+% in all, and I chose to drop History. Is Maths, French and English a suitable combination for Law at Oxford? I've had my History teachers harassing me, saying that History's such a fantastic subject for Law- and I'm sure it is. But I simply enjoy English far more. It won't harm my chance to have two languages... will it?

I doubt having two languages will harm you, but I would have stuck with history for a law application, especially with such a high A. I know languages are especially tough, but could you not stick with 4 A Levels?
I think it's nice that we find out before Christmas, whereas applicants to the other place have to wait until after Christmas.

As long as it doesn't snow (and let's be honest it doesn't often) we'll be fine :biggrin:

I don't know if you have been stalking this one thread where they are talking about the rejections letters from Oxford, but some people got their rejection on Christmas!!! That must be horrible and it's also cold-hearted from the admission tutors. How can you send out such a horrible message on Christmas :confused:

I don't know if you have been stalking this one thread where they are talking about the rejections letters from Oxford, but some people got their rejection on Christmas!!! That must be horrible and it's also cold-hearted from the admission tutors. How can you send out such a horrible message on Christmas :confused:
Surely a) no post got delivered on Christmas Day and b) no admissions tutors were at work emailing or phoning people on Christmas Day? :confused:
Reply 5353
I have quite a few extra-curriculars and I didn't want to run myself into the ground by Christmas with three arts subjects, and then Maths exams in January too- plus I take Critical Thinking. :thumbsdown: Oh dear- I'm really quite worried now, as History seems to be the subject everyone thinks I should have taken. I was just utterly miserable studying it last year, and didn't particularly want to go through the whole malarkey again, despite how well I ended up doing. :frown:

I guess if you really hate it then you will probably be better off dropping it, but bear in mind that you'll only need 70% for an A this year. What period of history are you doing? I'd be happy to help you out if you're doing anything related to the Cold War, the Russian Revolution or communism in China (the subjects I studied).
Surely a) no post got delivered on Christmas Day and b) no admissions tutors were at work emailing or phoning people on Christmas Day? :confused:

Here you go: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=33848895&highlight=christmas

I also couldn't believe it...

Ah. With the snow delaying post, Oxford probably sent it well before... but yeah unfortunate timing. Although if they didn't get it then, who knows how many more days they would have had to wait for the post to be running again...
I have quite a few extra-curriculars and I didn't want to run myself into the ground by Christmas with three arts subjects, and then Maths exams in January too- plus I take Critical Thinking. :thumbsdown: Oh dear- I'm really quite worried now, as History seems to be the subject everyone thinks I should have taken. I was just utterly miserable studying it last year, and didn't particularly want to go through the whole malarkey again, despite how well I ended up doing. :frown:

I'm sure it's perfectly fine. I don't have History A-level at all!
Original post by anyone_can_fly
So, just discovered that there's another person in my school applying to Oxford for maths. He got AABC at most in his Highers, and the minimum requirement is AAAAB (w/o extenuating circumstances). Why would you do that? :confused:

Oh a girl in my year may be applying for PPE with AABCC (I think it was this. If not, similar). Though she's quite pretentious I suppose, in the sense that she always looks around rooms in a self-absorbed manner, then tells you she's 'thinking philosophically.'
Me: "Oh really, what were you thinking about?"
Her: "Just an idea: why don't the government tax the rich more than they tax the poor?"
Me: ...................................................................................................... yes.
Original post by caien
In light of the sudden sharing of interview experiences, I think its time to reveal I'm a re-applicant! I applied for history at Christchurch last year, got invited to a trrainwreck of an interview after a mediocre HAT, and was expectedly rejected.

Firstly:

I'm afraid I have to (shamefully) admit to a certain sense of unfounded pride in Chch while I was there, mainly due to how impressive the place was. However I didn't really think myself any better than candidates from other colleges, and a surprisingly large number of people I met had actually been allocated Chch, despite it being perceived as one of the more popular colleges. Also, the whole state/private school thing never really came up, and as far as I'm aware, nobody ever asked another candidate about it. Then again, as an international student, I didn't really get it in the first place, and most of my friends weren't from England.
What I'm trying to say is, don't be put off applying to Chch by its reputation as a snobby college. I was actually very worried about this, especially as a left wing Irish nationalist, and almost freaked out my first night when I found out the first person I spoke to was a viscount's daughter, and that one of the history tutors was so right wing that she thought stupid people shouldn't be allowed to vote. But I was pleasantly surprised. There was a fairly balanced mix of political ideologies, with a slight weighting in favour of centre/ left, and nobody really cared if you had different 'loyalties' to them. Though a friend of mine did get a lot of laughs when she announced she was a lib dem! Most people didn't care about politics at all. example:
Libdem friend to me: were you following the thing with the Miliband brothers?
Me: I remember one was quite good looking, and the other one won.
Mod languages applicant nearby: yeah he was good-looking...
Lib dem friend looks disconcerted:wink:
In conclusion, everyone I met there was really nice (including the viscounts daughter and a Tory in horned rimmed glasses who said the prayers in Latin in Hall!)

As for my interviews, both were disastrous, particularly the first one, which started off badly, and then got progressively worse as I realised how badly I was doing and panicked. I went blank on several questions I could have answered perfectly, and missed several opportunities to bring up topics I wanted to talk about. In hindsight, my advise to all interviewees would be to stay calm at all costs!!!

Funniest conversation was with aforementioned (very posh) Tory, who I was quite intimidated by, until:
Tory: Where are you from
Me: South Ireland
Tory: I have cousins in Killorglin
Me: I go to school in killorglin:eek:
Tory: I went there to visit once, I've never seen so many pubs in my life.

Why are people so afraid of people with right-wing views? Are we really so intimidating? :lolwut:
Original post by anyone_can_fly
So, just discovered that there's another person in my school applying to Oxford for maths. He got AABC at most in his Highers, and the minimum requirement is AAAAB (w/o extenuating circumstances). Why would you do that? :confused:
Original post by LonelySoul193
Oh a girl in my year may be applying for PPE with AABCC (I think it was this. If not, similar).
With Highers, do you take some more Highers in the second year (alongside Advanced Highers)?

Would that mean they could still meet the offer? Do Oxford include Advanced Highers in offers?

(Excuse my ignorance about the Scottish education system)

Edit: just did a quick Google which answers some of my questions:
Students with Scottish qualifications would usually be expected to have AAAAB or AAAAA in Scottish Highers, supplemented by two or more Advanced Highers. The University currently sets conditional offers that require AAB if a student is able to take three Advanced Highers; where this is not possible then a student would be expected to achieve AA in two Advanced Highers, as well as an A grade in an additional Higher course taken in Year 6.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending