The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fluteflute
With Highers, do you take some more Highers in the second year (alongside Advanced Highers)?

Would that mean they could still meet the offer? Do Oxford include Advanced Highers in offers?

(Excuse my ignorance about the Scottish education system)

Well at my school it's generally the 'done thing' to take 5 Highers in S5 (S6 is the final year) - though some take Intermediate subjects, which are a level below Highers.

Oxford do include Advanced Highers in offers - usually AAB I think. And you can take both Advanced Highers and Highers in S6 but that'd be a HUGE workload if you had gotten AABCC, for example, the year before. Plus I don't think they'd invite you to interview unless you met the minimum Higher grade requirements...
Reply 5361
Original post by malvika111
Nothing so interesting, I'm afraid. Elizabeth, and for coursework: Spain in the 15th-16th century.

Ah, I guess it's not much fun if you don't have a particular interest in the period :/

Why don't you phone up the undergraduate admissions tutor for Law?
Original post by LonelySoul193

Well at my school it's generally the 'done thing' to take 5 Highers in S5 (S6 is the final year) - though some take Intermediate subjects, which are a level below Highers.

Oxford do include Advanced Highers in offers - usually AAB I think. And you can take both Advanced Highers and Highers in S6 but that'd be a HUGE workload if you had gotten AABCC, for example, the year before. Plus I don't think they'd invite you to interview unless you met the minimum Higher grade requirements...
That makes sense I think :smile:

So yep it does sound like those two are wasting a UCAS choice. Though in some ways it's encouraging how many applicants put in an "uncompetitive" application, means the rest of us are more likely to get in than the applicants to places ratio would suggest!
Reply 5363
Oh a girl in my year may be applying for PPE with AABCC (I think it was this. If not, similar). Though she's quite pretentious I suppose, in the sense that she always looks around rooms in a self-absorbed manner, then tells you she's 'thinking philosophically.'
Me: "Oh really, what were you thinking about?"
Her: "Just an idea: why don't the government tax the rich more than they tax the poor?"
Me: ...................................................................................................... yes.

This really makes me laugh. Like that idea has never been there... And you're saying she wants to do PPE?
Original post by malvika111

Oh, that makes me feel better! Do you mind me asking what subjects you did take?

Not at all! I'll pm you.
Does anyone have any advice for me, I really want to apply for eng lit at oxford but am not sure if they will immediately say no because of my unusual subject mix. I have three a's in biology, eng lit and art. Anybody know whether there is any reason to not apply?
That makes sense I think :smile:

So yep it does sound like those two are wasting a UCAS choice. Though in some ways it's encouraging how many applicants put in an "uncompetitive" application, means the rest of us are more likely to get in than the applicants to places ratio would suggest!

Hmmm... I like your reasoning... Alot :biggrin:

Original post by MeeMee
This really makes me laugh. Like that idea has never been there... And you're saying she wants to do PPE?

Yep, keeping a straight face was so hard. One, the government have said policy in place; two, philosophy? Where?

.... See now I feel like I'm setting myself up as some guru of PPE, when that is truly not in the slightest bit true :rolleyes:
With Highers, do you take some more Highers in the second year (alongside Advanced Highers)?

Would that mean they could still meet the offer? Do Oxford include Advanced Highers in offers?

(Excuse my ignorance about the Scottish education system)

Edit: just did a quick Google which answers some of my questions:

The Scottish system is really flexible. A standard Oxford/Cambridge applicant would take 5 Highers, get As, and go on to do three Advanced Highers. However, in the general scheme of things this isn't so common. I present you some case studies (aka a few of my friends):
A: took five highers last year, got ABCCD, is now doing advanced higher English, higher media, and advanced history.
B: took five highers and got AABCC. He needs more highers to get into university, so is doing higher philosophy and another higher from scratch, along with advanced higher English.
C: Did three highers and two Int 2s (a sort of halfway point between Standard Grade and Higher). Now doing physics higher as a progression from int 2, advanced higher maths, is self-teaching advanced higher English because of a timetable clash, and taking higher chemistry from scratch.
D: Did four highers and an int 2. Now doing higher maths as a follow on to int 2, higher physics from scratch, advanced higher graphics communication, and higher DT.
E: Did five highers, plus advanced higher Spanish because she already speaks it. Is this year taking all three sciences and maths at advanced higher, and is applying to Oxbridge for medicine. About 80 candidates a year in Scotland take 4 AHs.
F: 5 highers. Now doing two advanced highers (English and History) and higher French after having dropped it for a year.
G: applying to music college for oboe. Got four highers last year. Because academics don't matter at all for this, aside from advanced higher music she's taking higher graphics comm. and int 2 home economics. And practising oboe for hours and hours a day.

I think that might be a representative sample. :smile:

You are no longer ignorant about the Scottish education system! :biggrin:
HI GUYS! Remember me? I forgot about this thread ... School started yesterday! Oh no.
Original post by punctuation
HI GUYS! Remember me? I forgot about this thread ... School started yesterday! Oh no.

You WHAT? :eek:

:hmmm:
Original post by anyone_can_fly
You WHAT? :eek:

:frown: I know, shameful...

in other news, my classmates are all talking about the canadian uni system lately while I sit there clueless. :colondollar: I can say loads about UCAS and UK unis though >_> if the occasion calls for it... as if...

Also apparently freshers' week here is called 'frosh week'... :confused:

Who are you and what have you done with Julie?!
I think it's nice that we find out before Christmas, whereas applicants to the other place have to wait until after Christmas.

As long as it doesn't snow (and let's be honest it doesn't often) we'll be fine :biggrin:

I was a wreck because of the snow.

I resorted to checking the Oxford webcam: http://webcam.oii.ox.ac.uk/camera1.cfm
In order to gauge how much disruption the snow was causing. :redface:

My dad who lives in Taiwan would call at 5 in the afternoon, which would be when the post was arriving for me....he did this every day.

I remember getting mightily annoyed by the post office van that parked outside the house as if to deliver a letter and then buggered off without doing anything.

But if and when the offer letter comes - it'll be an amazing Christmas :biggrin:

(And then you'll realise you still need to work to meet the offer) :colondollar:
Original post by anyone_can_fly
The Scottish system is really flexible. A standard Oxford/Cambridge applicant would take 5 Highers, get As, and go on to do three Advanced Highers. However, in the general scheme of things this isn't so common. I present you some case studies (aka a few of my friends):
A: took five highers last year, got ABCCD, is now doing advanced higher English, higher media, and advanced history.
B: took five highers and got AABCC. He needs more highers to get into university, so is doing higher philosophy and another higher from scratch, along with advanced higher English.
C: Did three highers and two Int 2s (a sort of halfway point between Standard Grade and Higher). Now doing physics higher as a progression from int 2, advanced higher maths, is self-teaching advanced higher English because of a timetable clash, and taking higher chemistry from scratch.
D: Did four highers and an int 2. Now doing higher maths as a follow on to int 2, higher physics from scratch, advanced higher graphics communication, and higher DT.
E: Did five highers, plus advanced higher Spanish because she already speaks it. Is this year taking all three sciences and maths at advanced higher, and is applying to Oxbridge for medicine. About 80 candidates a year in Scotland take 4 AHs.
F: 5 highers. Now doing two advanced highers (English and History) and higher French after having dropped it for a year.
G: applying to music college for oboe. Got four highers last year. Because academics don't matter at all for this, aside from advanced higher music she's taking higher graphics comm. and int 2 home economics. And practising oboe for hours and hours a day.

I think that might be a representative sample. :smile:

You are no longer ignorant about the Scottish education system! :biggrin:
I feel all knowledgeable now :biggrin: thanks! So what are you doing? Oh and how do the schools work? Are many people taking Highers/AHs in a school/college that is exclusively for 16+ year olds, or are your schools all much wider ranging, like for 11-18 year olds?

Now don't ask me to explain the myriad of English qualifications that aren't A levels... (it's pretty flexible here too, especially if - like me - you go to a large sixth form college that can offer a wide range of courses)
(edited 12 years ago)
HI GUYS! Remember me? I forgot about this thread ...
I hope you've read the last hundred odd pages and got fully caught up? :wink:

Original post by qwertyuiop1993
I resorted to checking the Oxford webcam: http://webcam.oii.ox.ac.uk/camera1.cfm
In order to gauge how much disruption the snow was causing. :redface:
Wow, those are some good quality webcams :smile: Slightly strange to think I have been watched by those two though! P.S. does anyone know what the blue box is?
I feel all knowledgeable now :biggrin: thanks! So what are you doing? Oh and how do the schools work? Are many people taking Highers/AHs in a school/college that is exclusively for 16+ year olds, or are your schools all much wider ranging, like for 11-18 year olds?

Now don't ask me to explain the myriad of English qualifications that aren't A levels... (it's pretty flexible here too, especially if - like me - you go to a large sixth form college that can offer a wide range of courses)

I'm doing three advanced highers, having done five highers last year - although technically I'll have four AHs, as I did maths a year early. No, people only go to college to do technical/vocational courses. There aren't many "sixth form colleges" up here. Oh and also, we don't have reception but begin Primary 1 aged 4.5 - 5.5, so we graduate half a year younger than you do.
P.S. does anyone know what the blue box is?

Newspaper/souvenier stand.
Reply 5378

A tiny newsagent's.
Reply 5379

The Doctor says it's smaller on the inside.

Before mobile phones (in living memory...) it used to be the taxi cab driver's refuge: there's a taxi rank down the middle of St Giles and you used to have to phone the hut for a taxi. You can just see the big phone bell at the apex of the elevation facing you. It's been a souvenir shop, but I think it's a snack shop now.

Latest

Trending

Trending