The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Official Passfield Hall 2011 Thread!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by cschorr
What is the best way to get to Passfield from Heathrow with a 50 pound suitcase, 50 pound box, and a carry-on? Once I get to Passfield, how will the move-in day process work?

TAXI!!! LSE should email with you with information on how to move in

I am hoping i get access to email residents before you guys arrive to tell you all this kinda stuff having lived in london all my life.

But get a taxi, should cost around £70 at MOST!!!

do not pay more, you can get the tube but to carry all that will be very LONG... maybe two trips and leave something in a storage place at the airport for a small charge...

either way it will cost but for the sake of your sanity get a taxi... there are loads when you come out of the station...

try join the FB page and see if people want to share a taxi if you land on the same day as others.

Moving in is easy, unless you get the room at the top of the endsleigh building or taviton building of passfield (both have no lifts)... more details should be sent out,... but if i get access to emails i will give you guys all tips that LSE do not.... just turn up unpack and come to the common room to meet people then have dinner in the canteen and party all night for the sunday everyone arrives !
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Hi, I'm just about to arrive at Passfield too. Presumably everyone is going to be arriving on the Sunday? Sorry if I'm showing a degree of ignorance here but when do we find out exactly which rooms we are in? Also, is there anyone out there who plays the drums, the guitar or the bass? (I'm a drummer and we drummers need to stick together to avoid prejudice and discrimination)
Reply 82
Original post by robsullivan93
Hi, I'm just about to arrive at Passfield too. Presumably everyone is going to be arriving on the Sunday? Sorry if I'm showing a degree of ignorance here but when do we find out exactly which rooms we are in? Also, is there anyone out there who plays the drums, the guitar or the bass? (I'm a drummer and we drummers need to stick together to avoid prejudice and discrimination)

Yeah 70% of people end up arriving on the Sunday, some do come earlier.
And from what i have been told you will only know on the day you arrive but I called in on my first year and was told i had a triple (i asked for a shared room). So you can find out if you got a double or triple if you asked for a shared room.
But you wont know who you share with till the day...

of course that doesnt matter if you have a single room

should be a few musicians, always is each year...
you brining your drum kit !!!!? that would be cool
Reply 83
Original post by robsullivan93

I play the guitar and piano =DD nw we can jam all night mwehehe. You bringing your drums? I'm bringing my acoustic guitar but not sure whether to bring my electric or not...troublesome to travel with 2 guitar <_<
It's highly improbable that I can bring them so jamming is going to be challenging. I'll nab some pots and pans from somewhere, pretend I'm a deadbeat who can barely afford sticks.
Reply 85
Original post by WeiChin
I play the guitar and piano =DD nw we can jam all night mwehehe. You bringing your drums? I'm bringing my acoustic guitar but not sure whether to bring my electric or not...troublesome to travel with 2 guitar <_<

we have two pianos in the hall, one is being chucked out though because it is really bad
Reply 86
Original post by H.Patel

Have you decided our freshers plan yet?! :smile:

I've just seen this for RB and it's actually not too shabby...http://www.facebook.com/notes/-lse-rosebery-hall-2011-2012-/rosebery-freshers-plan/227932923921880
Hey guys, got a shared at Bankside but am thinking of swapping to a shared at Passfield. I have found someone from Passfield willing to swap, but after swapping, me and a different girl already with a shared at Passfield would like to be together. Only problem is that the girl I want to share with might be allocated a random other roommate who is not willing to swap with me once I swap with the first girl. Do 2-way swaps like so tend to work out from past experience? Hope that makes sense! Otherwise, is it not too late to email LSE and ask if they can try to put the girl I want to swap with, and the one I want to share with, in the same room?

Also, just a few questions about Passfield, and how it compares to Bankside:
1) How do the toilet facilities compare at both halls haha - I've heard there's more people sharing to a bathroom in Passfield as they don't have twin ensuites. And are they generally clean/not too busy etc?
2) What are the kitchens like at Passfield. I know Bankside has kitchens with all the facilities (including hob and oven) but you have to apply for it - however most people applying for kitchens do get them apparently. Any idea how many people sharing to a kitchen in Passfield ( I was told there are 30-40 per floor, and only one kitchen?!) and are the kitchens generally very busy in Passfield? Also what are their cooking facilities like - does each kitchen have a hob and oven?.
3) What is the piano like at Passfield (or Bankside, for that matter!) Well tuned and decent enough for Grade 8 pieces? :P
4) Is there really that much difference in travelling time?
Thank you so much in advance
(edited 12 years ago)
And sorry to inundate with questions but finally, is the ethernet/ wifi system also compatible Macs specifically at Passfield? Presumably yes, just want to make sure :smile:. Also, do people ever swap before the standard procedure of 2 weeks? And do you miss out much socially by swapping in later, 'cuz you get to know a lot of people from the Halls' events in Fresher's Week. Maybe I can sneak into the Passfield events haha (nah I kid dw).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 89
Original post by :)...
Have you decided our freshers plan yet?! :smile:

I've just seen this for RB and it's actually not too shabby...http://www.facebook.com/notes/-lse-rosebery-hall-2011-2012-/rosebery-freshers-plan/227932923921880

Hey yeah ours are very similar to Rosebery's because I have been organising it with the other halls,

I am just waiting for me to have access to all your emails so i can email out the official passfield residents only facebook group which we used last year and was amazing... attached below is our rough guide to what we are doing...

We will also have RAG battle of the halls on the Monday, which is an LSE event and the freshers ball... I think for Wednesday and Thursday you guys should all just explore london and go out where you guys think, because that is the best experience, getting lost and ending up at a random club, and those who dont want to that can just ask me for a standard studenty club to go to on those nights.

if you got any more questions ask away :-)
Reply 90
Original post by ice_dragoness274

Also, just a few questions about Passfield, and how it compares to Bankside:
1) How do the toilet facilities compare at both halls haha - I've heard there's more people sharing to a bathroom in Passfield as they don't have twin ensuites. And are they generally clean/not too busy etc?
2) What are the kitchens like at Passfield. I know Bankside has kitchens with all the facilities (including hob and oven) but you have to apply for it - however most people applying for kitchens do get them apparently. Any idea how many people sharing to a kitchen in Passfield ( I was told there are 30-40 per floor, and only one kitchen?!) and are the kitchens generally very busy in Passfield? Also what are their cooking facilities like - does each kitchen have a hob and oven?.
3) What is the piano like at Passfield (or Bankside, for that matter!) Well tuned and decent enough for Grade 8 pieces? :P
4) Is there really that much difference in travelling time?
Thank you so much in advance

1... Every hall ends up being 4-10 people that share... it is random because everyone has different preferences, like some people will got to a shower two floors above where they are just because they like to... and they are cleaned every day and not busy so you will always get one...

2... kitchens are free and because dinner is provided you rarely use them, keep food in your room, fridges always have space and cook only when you need to for lunch ... and saturdays..

3... passfield has two pianos, one we are throwin out and another that we are retuning... it actually sounds great to me right now, but i knoe f*ck all bout how a piano should sound.

4... passfield is 20mins away ... and in a big group 25, and 15 mins if your a fast walker... Bankside is 25... but on a rainy day you do not want to walk over blackfriars bridge from bankside.

Both halls are great and wherever you end up there are always cool decent people who you will have a good time with.
Reply 91
Original post by 123hn
Hi everybody, I am sorry to interrupt.
I've been offered a single at passfield but I can't afford it.
Anyone in a shared room, especially a triple room @ Passfield would be willing to swap with me?
That would be of great help.

Many thanks.

Hiya, I've been offered a shared room in Passfield and am really keen to swap to a single - let me know if still interested :smile:
Hey I just have a few questions about the kitchen facilities at Passfield :smile:

I heard somewhere that there's no hobs/an oven so is there no point in me bringing pots/pans for like making lunch or breakfast?
And also how many evening meals are included in rent?
Reply 93
Original post by peachyBomi93
Hey I just have a few questions about the kitchen facilities at Passfield :smile:

I heard somewhere that there's no hobs/an oven so is there no point in me bringing pots/pans for like making lunch or breakfast?
And also how many evening meals are included in rent?

hey

there are hobs so bring your pots and pans, however no oven but the committee have thought about purchasing one mini oven to put in one of the kitchens but space does not really allow it and most people do not need to cook using and oven due to time and effort.

The rent includes 6 evening meals Sunday to Friday
and 1 Brunch on Saturday (best meal of the week).
Original post by ice_dragoness274
And sorry to inundate with questions but finally, is the ethernet/ wifi system also compatible Macs specifically at Passfield? Presumably yes, just want to make sure :smile:. Also, do people ever swap before the standard procedure of 2 weeks? And do you miss out much socially by swapping in later, 'cuz you get to know a lot of people from the Halls' events in Fresher's Week. Maybe I can sneak into the Passfield events haha (nah I kid dw).

Ethernet/Wifi works with any computer anywhere. From what Himesh said there's ethernet cables at Passfield in the rooms.
Reply 95
Is the bar still being renovated in Passfield?
Reply 96
Original post by allroader192
Ethernet/Wifi works with any computer anywhere. From what Himesh said there's ethernet cables at Passfield in the rooms.

Yeah that is correct, you will get an ethernet cable on your first day

and if you lose it there are loads somewhere in the halls that the reception can give you
Reply 97
Original post by thebeslaw
Is the bar still being renovated in Passfield?

We decided against knocking down the bar, but we do not actually serve alcohol in the bar, but the committee does buy alcohol to give out for free during events.

Most halls do not serve alcohol, because it was not profitable, because it is cheaper to go tesco and buy drinks, simple as.

We were thinking of knocking it down to make space in the games room, but the bar is really useful for parties in the Hall, and the speaker system is behind there too.
Reply 99
Cool thanks for all the information! One more thing: I'll still be 17 by the time Freshers start unfortunately.... any way around this annoying dilemma?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending