The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Is it christmas holiday yet?
Surely its illegal to make me stay at the hospitals for 13 hours?
Original post by n1r4v
:eek: What?!

Completely serious :s-smilie:
Original post by Hygeia
Ooh a GEMer :teeth:

We do exist! Promise. I however, am no longer special :nope:
Original post by FFCrusader

I just got an email that myprotein has decreased their prices :awesome:

yes I got that as well! nearly smashed my head into a wall cos I bought last week! fffuuu
You know I'm gonna struggle to wake up on time for the early starts next week.
Original post by fairy spangles
Completely serious :s-smilie:

Welcome to fifth year :frown: (and the rest of your junior doctor life). 13 hours is sadly very legal, although it's the 'maximum' under EWTD (not quite sure where this figures when you're into your 15th hour and still doing a post-take ward round...). Then you get your 'statutory' EWTD-prescribed 11 hour break, before doing it all over again... Not fun. learn to appreciate caffeine in all its forms, if you don't already!
Reply 5406
Original post by junior.doctor
Welcome to fifth year :frown: (and the rest of your junior doctor life). 13 hours is sadly very legal, although it's the 'maximum' under EWTD (not quite sure where this figures when you're into your 15th hour and still doing a post-take ward round...). Then you get your 'statutory' EWTD-prescribed 11 hour break, before doing it all over again... Not fun. learn to appreciate caffeine in all its forms, if you don't already!
Eleven hour breaks are ****ing evil - finish at 0200, restart at 1300. ****flaps.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5407

I've not long finished a week of seven 13hr days, surely that can't be EWTD compliant?!
Original post by *tink*
I've not long finished a week of seven 13hr days, surely that can't be EWTD compliant?!

Likewise, I think it is - they can 'average' your hours over 14 weeks or so, which is how they manage to get away with vile rota patterns. There are meant to be a couple of absolutes, such as no more than 13 hours continuous, and at least two days off in every 14 (I think - or something like that). But all it does is end up with vile patterns like yours and Renal's. In my last job we had some utterly stupid week where we did 5-9pm only - which brought the hours down so that they could screw us over on the rest of the rota...

But, when you want to swap something that means you're working a fair few hours but nothing like what they normally throw at you, so you can go to that wedding or whatever, they suddenly decide that you can't swap it 'because it's not compliant'. !^&*^&*%!
Damn it. I've already got a black mark on my student record. Our online university email account sucks so I set Pegasus up on my desktop (the same one we use in university) to handle my university email address. I sent in that blasted essay ~ a week before the deadline. I received an email 4 days after the deadline had passed to say it hadn't been submited. I'd had a delivery failure report but it had ended up in my copied to self folder >.<

I had to send it from my hotmail, 4 days late apologising. Only to be told I have a relaxed attitude to deadlines and that if I miss any deadline again it will have serious consequences due to my marked lack of professionalism as noted on my student record. What am I supposed to do? Ring up every time I submit something electronically to check it's been recieved? I'm sure the student office would love that.

Mother****er.
Reply 5410
Original post by RollerBall
Damn it. I've already got a black mark on my student record. Our online university email account sucks so I set Pegasus up on my desktop (the same one we use in university) to handle my university email address. I sent in that blasted essay ~ a week before the deadline. I received an email 4 days after the deadline had passed to say it hadn't been submited. I'd had a delivery failure report but it had ended up in my copied to self folder >.<

I had to send it from my hotmail, 4 days late apologising. Only to be told I have a relaxed attitude to deadlines and that if I miss any deadline again it will have serious consequences due to my marked lack of professionalism as noted on my student record. What am I supposed to do? Ring up every time I submit something electronically to check it's been recieved? I'm sure the student office would love that.

Mother****er.

Luckily with us we get a auto-generated system email confirming essay 'uploads'.

True however if they paid me for it i would be whinging less.

Unless you count the tuition fees being payment which means currently i would be better off working at a fast food chain for exactly five hours a week.
Reply 5412
Likewise, I think it is - they can 'average' your hours over 14 weeks or so, which is how they manage to get away with vile rota patterns. There are meant to be a couple of absolutes, such as no more than 13 hours continuous, and at least two days off in every 14 (I think - or something like that). But all it does is end up with vile patterns like yours and Renal's. In my last job we had some utterly stupid week where we did 5-9pm only - which brought the hours down so that they could screw us over on the rest of the rota...
My missus is doing a run of thirteen with 7 days, 3 long days and 3 nights followed by a day and a half off having been totally ****ed over by the ST changeover in her department. She only discovered this yesterday, on what she thought was Day 8 of 10. Srsly uncool.
Original post by n1r4v
When you're in fifth year what are these 13 hour shifts filled with? Is all of it necessary and contributory to learning, or is some / most of it just stuff you're forced to do?

Most likely 90% of it will be bo-lax.
USMLE Step 1: done
Original post by HFerguson
yes I got that as well! nearly smashed my head into a wall cos I bought last week! fffuuu

The gym has changed :lolwut:
Original post by digitalis
USMLE Step 1: done

Go well?
Original post by n1r4v
When you're in fifth year what are these 13 hour shifts filled with? Is all of it necessary and contributory to learning, or is some / most of it just stuff you're forced to do?

I had a teaching clinic and spent the rest of the time on the wards. Clerking in patients etc. Was actually quite fun and learned a fair bit!!
Reply 5418
Wooo IELTS results today, I've now apparently show my "demonstrable skills in listening, reading, writing and speaking in English that enable effective communication in clinical practice with patients and colleagues", amagawdddd. *jigs and jumps around and free beer for aaaaaall*
Reply 5419
Original post by Skwee
Wooo IELTS results today, I've now apparently show my "demonstrable skills in listening, reading, writing and speaking in English that enable effective communication in clinical practice with patients and colleagues", amagawdddd. *jigs and jumps around and free beer for aaaaaall*

congrats, that's great news :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending