The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cast.Iron
Maybe it's a rival Skype group :holmes:.

Let's find out and take them down. :sparta:
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Let's find out and take them down. :sparta:

Xiang can hack the **** out of them :smug:.
I bet it's the Oxonians - I knew you shouldn't have touched their spreadsheet. :rolleyes: :p:

(I've been hit too, although I imagine it's unrelated. :iiam:)
You make a very good point.

Perhaps I will just buy a tuxedo one and wear it to matriculation :colone:.

If you're buying a tuxedo, it'll come in handy for black tie events, but wear a plain black suit and tasteful tie to matriculation (not, I repeat, not anything with cartoon characters like some people do!). I've seen a guy in a wing collar and normal tie in one matriculation photo, and he looked like a muppet. :colonhash:
Original post by Tortious
If you're buying a tuxedo, it'll come in handy for black tie events, but wear a plain black suit and tasteful tie to matriculation (not, I repeat, not anything with cartoon characters like some people do!). I've seen a guy in a wing collar and normal tie in one matriculation photo, and he looked like a muppet. :colonhash:

I meant a tuxedo morphsuit :colondollar:.

However, I will be buying a dinner suit and a lounge suit (although the former will probably be a rather cheap one). Do you think that Navy would be ok? I'm not a fan of plain black suits.
I meant a tuxedo morphsuit :colondollar:.

Sorry... :facepalm2:

However, I will be buying a dinner suit and a lounge suit (although the former will probably be a rather cheap one). Do you think that Navy would be ok? I'm not a fan of plain black suits.

*Winces uneasily*

I know that midnight blue's a recognised tuxedo colour, but I think you'd be better off with black. The main purpose is conformity, and I've only ever seen people in black (notch and shawl lapel are the most popular, followed by a few with peak - but that's the only variation in the style). I think it'd be safer to fit in, even if it's not what you personally prefer.

Social norms and expectations are the reason I wear an evening dress when I'd be happier in a tux - sometimes it's better not to stand out. :sigh:
Sorry... :facepalm2:

*Winces uneasily*

I know that midnight blue's a recognised tuxedo colour, but I think you'd be better off with black. The main purpose is conformity, and I've only ever seen people in black (notch and shawl lapel are the most popular, followed by a few with peak - but that's the only variation in the style). I think it'd be safer to fit in, even if it's not what you personally prefer.

Social norms and expectations are the reason I wear an evening dress when I'd be happier in a tux - sometimes it's better not to stand out. :sigh:

Sorry, I must have phrased that badly. I meant buying a navy suit for matriculation and general interview-wear etc.
Sorry, I must have phrased that badly. I meant buying a navy suit for matriculation and general interview-wear etc.

No, it's probably me being dense. :ahee:

*Looks at very old, very small matriculation photo on Facebook*

Yeah, you'll probably be OK. For stuff like this, the dress code is a "dark suit", and your gown will be over it anyway. :yep:
No, it's probably me being dense. :ahee:

*Looks at very old, very small matriculation photo on Facebook*

Yeah, you'll probably be OK. For stuff like this, the dress code is a "dark suit", and your gown will be over it anyway. :yep:

Maybe it's both :holmes:.

Excellent. Ugh I need to get two suits, a laptop and EVERYTHING else. In other words, I am yet to do any shopping.
Reply 2969
Yeah? Check out what we've got to look forward to. #****yeahPembrokeFreshers :smug:

I isn't a pembroke fresher but THAT LOOKS AWESOME :biggrin:
Dean's Tea party... win xD
Reply 2970
Excellent. Ugh I need to get two suits, a laptop and EVERYTHING else. In other words, I am yet to do any shopping.

Worry not, I'm in the same boat.

I have to buy clothes though - very urgently.
And formal clothes. And linen. And a kettle.
OH MY GOD I HAVE SO MUCH TO DO :frown:

I had the exact realisation today :rolleyes:

I have no idea what laptop to get. :bawling:
Original post by kpatb
Worry not, I'm in the same boat.

I have to buy clothes though - very urgently.
And formal clothes. And linen. And a kettle.
OH MY GOD I HAVE SO MUCH TO DO :frown:

Original post by jonnyboy1993
I had the exact realisation today :rolleyes:

Original post by Doughnuts!!
I have no idea what laptop to get. :bawling:

We. Are. Screwed.
Does anyone know how you (physically) pay your tuition fees + college fees if you didn't get a loan? - can't find anything about it on the website.

And also, how long do skirts have to be for matric?
Reply 2975
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Somebody is randomly negging my posts.

:colonhash:

Enjoy my random pos. :P

Is it cool if I just don't wear a tie to matriculation? Not my style, bro.

Edit: I wasn't really asking for permission, despite how it sounded. I was asking for whether you think it'd be permissible. :P
Reply 2976
Original post by confusedllama
Does anyone know how you (physically) pay your tuition fees + college fees if you didn't get a loan? - can't find anything about it on the website.

And also, how long do skirts have to be for matric?

Manual labour for years and years.

I shouldn't worry about it though, I'm sure they'll be pretty accommodating and helpful when you get there.
Reply 2977

Bought my macbook pro. Bought my suit. Got lots of books.

You jelly?
Original post by Lyam
Bought my macbook pro. Bought my suit. Got lots of books.

You jelly?

Not even slightly bro :pierre:.
Not even slightly bro :pierre:.

Tsr wouldn't let me rep, so QFT :sexface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending