The Student Room Group

Dark, swarthy women prefer blond pale skinned men - why?

I read the results of a study recently conducted that found dark haired, swarthy complected, brown-eyed women from southern European backgrounds overwhelmingly were more attracted to blond or ginger haired British and Scandanavian men with pale or freckly skin and blue eyes. Does this make sense? Interestingly, the study also found that blonde, northern European women were divided in their preferences for either Latin or Nordic looking men. Do Italian, Spanish and Portuguese women fall easy for palefaced English, Scottish and Norwegian men?

Scroll to see replies

I heard that we find people with different looks to us attractive to ensure that genes get mixed up or something. :dontknow: Wouldn't bet on it being true though!
Reply 2
Only English, Scottish and Norwegian?

WHAT ABOUT ICELAND?
Reply 3
Original post by concubine

WHAT ABOUT ICELAND?

On a side note, I heard that many of the Irish and most of the Welsh and Cornish are of a different DNA stock as the Scots and English (who are more related than most people would think). Anyone who's ever travelled extensively in Ireland, Wales and Cornwall will attest that the Irish, Cornish and the Welsh have a tendency to be darker, curlier haired and more olive complected than the average Nordic looking pink-skinned English or Scots person.
Hey I'm Nordic, and well I find I seem to attract nobody. Does that change the results?
Reply 5
Original post by HonestBob
On a side note, I heard that many of the Irish and most of the Welsh and Cornish are of a different DNA stock as the Scots and English (who are more related than most people would think). Anyone who's ever travelled extensively in Ireland, Wales and Cornwall will attest that the Irish, Cornish and the Welsh have a tendency to be darker, curlier haired and more olive complected than the average Nordic looking pink-skinned English or Scots person.

You mean "Black Irish" or "Galway Girls" right? Tanned skin, jet black hair and blue eyes? I heard that those are the descendants of the thousands of Spanish sailors who wrecked on the shore. At that time they were one of the only Catholic countries (Ireland&Spain) in Europe. :dontknow:

I lived in Italy for 6 years and I can tell you that in my experience Italian women are almost sick of Italian men lol. In Italy it is the norm for men to live with their parents until they are married and the average age to get married is 29. This means that they are always mollycoddled, co-dependent and pretty much told they are infallible by their mums. In contrast Nordic men tend to leave the nest at around university age which is much less hassle. Nordic = Swedish, Norwegian, Danish. English men are Germanic and they are not so keen on those due to the media portrayal of modern Brits but I know they like the well-spoken British man.

The opposite is true also. Italian men in the cities love pale skinned women and make a straight beeline for blondes and redheads over their own. In the North it is not so obvious but try being blonde and pale south of Gaeta! Everyone wants what they can't have it seems...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Finns are not Nordic. They're actually Asiatic, more similar to Hungarians and Turks than they are to other Northern Europeans. While it is true some Finns are blond/red haired and blue -eyed like their Nordic neighbours, but that came from centuries of intermarriage. Most Finns, however, resemble Hungarians in language, customs and even physical appearance.
Finns are not Nordic. They're actually Asiatic, more similar to Hungarians and Turks than they are to other Northern Europeans. While it is true some Finns are blond/red haired and blue -eyed like their Nordic neighbours, but that came from centuries of intermarriage. Most Finns, however, resemble Hungarians in language, customs and even physical appearance.

Hmm, not what I've heard interesting nevertheless, can I see this source?
Original post by Nadooo

I lived in Italy for 6 years and I can tell you that in my experience Italian women are almost sick of Italian men lol. In Italy it is the norm for men to live with their parents until they are married and the average age to get married is 29. This means that they are always mollycoddled, co-dependent and pretty much told they are infallible by their mums. In contrast Nordic men tend to leave the nest at around university age which is much less hassle. Nordic = Swedish, Norwegian, Danish. English men are Germanic and they are not so keen on those due to the media portrayal of modern Brits but I know they like the well-spoken British man.

Loving the 11th century racial categories...
Reply 9
Original post by Studentrepreneur
Loving the 11th century racial categories...

I don't even believe in race as a scientific concept

I am talking more about culture. Swedes and Danes have more in common with each other in terms of language, history and culture than they do with Englishmen who in turn speak a language closer to German than Danish. Nothing archaic about that.
Original post by Nadooo
I don't even believe in race as a scientific concept

I am talking more about culture. Swedes and Danes have more in common with each other in terms of language, history and culture than they do with Englishmen who in turn speak a language closer to German than Danish. Nothing archaic about that.

English people do not have a Germanic culture.
Reply 11

The English language is a Germanic language alongside Flemish, Afrikaans and Dutch.

Care to explain where the Engel in English stems from, genius? :smile:
Original post by concubine

WHAT ABOUT ICELAND?

Pay your debts and we will talk.
Reply 13

Don't confuse Germanic with Germany. Nordic is a more appropriate term. It's a language with roots in the style of speech spoken by Nordic peoples who inhabited what is today Scandanavia, northern Germany and the Netherlands. The Angles, Saxons and Jutes came to the British Isles in large family groups in 400-500 AD, and settled alongside the native Celtic and Latin speaking quasi-Celtic peoples already living on these islands, eventually intermarrying and producing a new British people. This was enriched by more settlements from Scandanavia via the Vikings and later the Normans, who were French speaking people descended from Viking settlers in modern day Normandy, France. That is our history, son. Now go learn it.
Genetic variety ensures healthy offspring as a rule

I read the results of a study recently conducted that found dark haired, swarthy complected, brown-eyed women from southern European backgrounds overwhelmingly were more attracted to blond or ginger haired British and Scandanavian men with pale or freckly skin and blue eyes. Does this make sense? Interestingly, the study also found that blonde, northern European women were divided in their preferences for either Latin or Nordic looking men. Do Italian, Spanish and Portuguese women fall easy for palefaced English, Scottish and Norwegian men?

Guess what? I heard a study that said people prefer to date people of the opposite sex. How true this is, I don't know.
Original post by Nadooo
The English language is a Germanic language alongside Flemish, Afrikaans and Dutch.

Care to explain where the Engel in English stems from, genius? :smile:

I agree here British culture isnt germanic.. And English language is by far the least germanic of all those.. It has tons of latin words and even the phonetics are softer than typical germanic languages.. English language has a lot of french and latin.
Don't confuse Germanic with Germany. Nordic is a more appropriate term. It's a language with roots in the style of speech spoken by Nordic peoples who inhabited what is today Scandanavia, northern Germany and the Netherlands. The Angles, Saxons and Jutes came to the British Isles in large family groups in 400-500 AD, and settled alongside the native Celtic and Latin speaking quasi-Celtic peoples already living on these islands, eventually intermarrying and producing a new British people. This was enriched by more settlements from Scandanavia via the Vikings and later the Normans, who were French speaking people descended from Viking settlers in modern day Normandy, France. That is our history, son. Now go learn it.

Brits dont look nordic in the very least most english women have naturally brown(mousy) or darkbrown hair (depending on the area) and are much shorter on average than Scandinavian, Dutch or German women.

I come across British women everyday and most of them are no more than 5'3-5'5 which would be extremely short in germanic nations, body types of british people and facial features dont look germanic at all either.

The number of anglo-saxon input is overestimated.. the British isles were, are and have always been overwhelmingly of ancient brythonic heritage. Thats peoples of pre-celtic and pre-germanic heritage.
IF you look at modern day population very few brits are naturally blonde or have a very germanic looks...
I'm pretty sure that we subconsciously select partners if they have a different immune system so the babies develop more immunity. So, if this is the case, that's probably why. As a Southern-European woman myself I can say that race isn't really much of a factor when it comes to my choice of partner. :smile:

Its true Finns might be not as much stereotypically Nordic/Germanic culturally and genetically as people From Denmark, Swedenm, Norway, NEtherlands and even Most of Germany. HOwever the nordic input in Finland is high and a lot of people have Nordic features and have typical nordic mentality.... Definitely far more nordic than the English who on average isnt blonde, tall or germanic looking at all..

I'm myself a fan of blonde women and I have hard time finding stereotypical stunning tall blondes in the UK, because there are few tall women, and very few natural blondes who are really british and not expats... In germany, Norway, denmark or holland I came across those type of women in every corner.. they seem to be extinct (or actually they never existed ) in the UK.

Latest

Trending

Trending