The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Also, is anyone doing UKCAT courses or recommends any? :smile:
Original post by futuredoc77
Depression is what's up. :nopity:

Spoiler

ahh that sucks. That'l all be over before you know it though.
Everything will work out (Y). Even if it doesn't it just will . . .
Original post by joemullally
I sent mine off today.
Good luck in your UKCAT man. :biggrin:

I'm planning on sending mine off on the day of my UKCAT which is the 22nd... do you think thats too late for a reapplicant?
ahh that sucks. That'l all be over before you know it though.
Everything will work out (Y). Even if it doesn't it just will . . .

I know that. :sigh:

But thanks man. :hat2:
Original post by tkoki1993
I'm planning on sending mine off on the day of my UKCAT which is the 22nd... do you think thats too late for a reapplicant?

Nah that's fine. It really doesn't matter tbh :redface:

As long as it's before the deadline of course :tongue:
Reply 3445

I don't think it makes a difference really does it?

Got a meeting with my old form teacher on Monday to persuade her to write exactly what I want in my reference, and for her to give me no practical advice on my personal statement :biggrin: Will be productive I'm sure...

AND BRILLIANT NEWS! My references have FINALLY come through, so I now have forms to fill out to get uniform (really confusing form... I have no idea what size I'll be, or how many to order or what. I only want the dress really, cause the trousers and tunic will look really funny on me :/) and an equality and diversity form to say 'yes, I'm a white female, and I do consider myself to be British'

AND AND AND, finally decided where I'm going to apply. Sheffield, Leicester, Peninsula and Glasgow (ahh, four hours on the train :/)

I'm feeling pretty cheerful today - although yesterday I had a bit of a cry to the boyfriend. Was feeling a bit down about the whole being left behind thing :frown:
My application got sent back by my center.

No problem with the personal statement (so far)
But I mispelled "teacher" in my dads job title for the bit they use for the stats.

:/ I fail at spelling sometimes.
Original post by twelve

Got a meeting with my old form teacher on Monday to persuade her to write exactly what I want in my reference, and for her to give me no practical advice on my personal statement :biggrin: Will be productive I'm sure...

AND BRILLIANT NEWS! My references have FINALLY come through, so I now have forms to fill out to get uniform (really confusing form... I have no idea what size I'll be, or how many to order or what. I only want the dress really, cause the trousers and tunic will look really funny on me :/) and an equality and diversity form to say 'yes, I'm a white female, and I do consider myself to be British'

AND AND AND, finally decided where I'm going to apply. Sheffield, Leicester, Peninsula and Glasgow (ahh, four hours on the train :/)

I'm feeling pretty cheerful today - although yesterday I had a bit of a cry to the boyfriend. Was feeling a bit down about the whole being left behind thing :frown:

And yay!
Uniform:P

Nahh I mean on deciding where you've applied.

I can't wait to get my uniform, It's all green :biggrin:.
It'l be a bit before I do the training though.

22nd of oct is too late but 22nd of sept is fine.
Remeber UCAS only opens on the 15th.
Do you know where you'd apply if you got a good/average/bad UKCAT though because it can be a big decision and sing an application.

I'd write down a list of "if it goes well" and "If it doesn't go so well" and "If it's not brilliant but it doesn't cause me to wanna shoot myself" list of uni's based on your UKCAT score.
Reply 3448
My application got sent back by my center.

No problem with the personal statement (so far)
But I mispelled "teacher" in my dads job title for the bit they use for the stats.

:/ I fail at spelling sometimes.

And yay!
Uniform:P

Nahh I mean on deciding where you've applied.

I can't wait to get my uniform, It's all green :biggrin:.
It'l be a bit before I do the training though.

Haha, wooops. Has it gone back off again now then?

Hahaha, I'm excited. Ahh, yeah I'm hoping I don't have to wait too long for my training. But I don't think I have to do all the training before I start working (it says I've got to complete it within three months of starting, so I'm hoping that means I can do it while working)

Its green? What job have you got? I've just assumed mine will be blue like everyone else's, but maybe it won't thinking about it...

Also, anyone know if there's a reapplicants group on facebook? Just thought we should all share facebooks, and through the group might be the best way to do it :smile:
Original post by twelve
Haha, wooops. Has it gone back off again now then?

Hahaha, I'm excited. Ahh, yeah I'm hoping I don't have to wait too long for my training. But I don't think I have to do all the training before I start working (it says I've got to complete it within three months of starting, so I'm hoping that means I can do it while working)

Its green? What job have you got? I've just assumed mine will be blue like everyone else's, but maybe it won't thinking about it...

Also, anyone know if there's a reapplicants group on facebook? Just thought we should all share facebooks, and through the group might be the best way to do it :smile:

HCA's in my hosp wear green
Staff nurses blue
Sisters dark blue
A+E light blue
and morg staff are purple.
Paramedics are like dark green.

I think that's how it works in all of wales.

I also work in the labs and since there's no patient contact I can wear whatever I want.
It's great going into work with the UV paint on your face that you couldn't get off no matter how much scrubbing you did, wearing a hoodie and just being comfy.
Just whack a labcoat over it :biggrin:.

And I need to call them about the training sometime soon which I fully intend on doing, when of course I'm not busy and it's before 5 pm.
Reply 3450
has someone revealed my identity on here?!
Hey guys. I'm organising some voluntary work at a charity shop at the moment (alongside weekly hospice work) and was wondering; how many hours per week is appropriate? Is 24 ok or is it preferable to work longer?

Please reply ASAP.
Original post by twelve

I'm feeling pretty cheerful today - although yesterday I had a bit of a cry to the boyfriend. Was feeling a bit down about the whole being left behind thing
:frown:

You're not applying to any of mine [s[cry2
And i considered peninsula actually :biggrin:
But then remembered i live in newcastle... and peninsula is the furthest thing away on my mini map FROM newcastle... and thats crazy-south, not just london-south.
Plus you just know i'd be that random northerner medic whose accent noone understands and makes everyone drink too much ('cus im cool like dat :sexface:) and thinks that it's really warm down south in comparison to where I'm from... and who doesnt really know where the two unis pensinsula are made up of are on a map. lmao.

I am dis cool though: :cool:
So i'm guessing everyone would love me for said drinking and accent and **** geography...

Oh my that's so weird i had a little cry to my bf about it on monday because i was reall sad that my friends were leaving and they'd be making new friends and i wouldnt be making new friends therefore will not be as good friends with them because of said new friends.

Plus i dont know if its just me or is anyone elses friends who are going to uni changing? Mine have completely changed in the run up to university :/
Reply 3453
Original post by laurenl93
You're not applying to any of mine [s[cry2

And i considered peninsula actually :biggrin:
But then remembered i live in newcastle... and peninsula is the furthest thing away on my mini map FROM newcastle... and thats crazy-south, not just london-south.
Plus you just know i'd be that random northerner medic whose accent noone understands and makes everyone drink too much ('cus im cool like dat :sexface:) and thinks that it's really warm down south in comparison to where I'm from... and who doesnt really know where the two unis pensinsula are made up of are on a map. lmao.

I am dis cool though: :cool:
So i'm guessing everyone would love me for said drinking and accent and **** geography...

Oh my that's so weird i had a little cry to my bf about it on monday because i was reall sad that my friends were leaving and they'd be making new friends and i wouldnt be making new friends therefore will not be as good friends with them because of said new friends.

Plus i dont know if its just me or is anyone elses friends who are going to uni changing? Mine have completely changed in the run up to university :/

I knoww - he didn't really get it, and ws just like 'lets go to sleep now'. I think he thinks I'm overhyping the whole university thing, but its mainly just cause everyone is going, and I'm not...

Yeahh my friends have changed - well in a wierd way though. They seem to want to see me more (which is great, don't get me wrong) but when they do, all any of them can talk about is uni, which is a bit depressing. How have yours changed?
x

Original post by twelve

Facebook group is a lethal idea!
Then when all my friends are adding uni friends we can add reapplicant friends :awesome:

'cus let's face it, we'r much cooler :cool:

Ps. joe just thought i should tag you in this cus it felt right :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3455
Facebook group is a lethal idea!
Then when all my friends are adding uni friends we can add reapplicant friends :awesome:

'cus let's face it, we'r much cooler :cool:

Ps. joe just thought i should tag you in this cus it felt right :tongue:

Yessss :smile: Although, any chance you could make it? Me and joe don't know how :P
Original post by twelve
I knoww - he didn't really get it, and ws just like 'lets go to sleep now'. I think he thinks I'm overhyping the whole university thing, but its mainly just cause everyone is going, and I'm not...

Yeahh my friends have changed - well in a wierd way though. They seem to want to see me more (which is great, don't get me wrong) but when they do, all any of them can talk about is uni, which is a bit depressing. How have yours changed?

Ah my bf is just like im here if you need me you'll be going next year dont worry blah blah and just being lovely. I think he gets how important medicine is to me though so doesnt like knowing the gap year that i want is temporariliy putting me down because i dont like all this GOD DAMN CHANGE AND NEED TO GROW UP. SHEESH. Let a girl be a baby for another year man!

My friends i only really get to see them on nights out which is lovely, just i dont see them during the day due to work and them getting uni ready and i dont know what they're up to just that they're probs busy with uni stuff and just generally we'r already growing apart so i know thats not a good sign for uni.

But then i realised that if i was in their shoes id probably be doing the same and growing apart due to 'changing' to become mature and stuff for uni

I dont even know if any of that makes sense.. :/
Original post by twelve
Yessss :smile: Although, any chance you could make it? Me and joe don't know how :P

Ah my bf is just like im here if you need me you'll be going next year dont worry blah blah and just being lovely. I think he gets how important medicine is to me though so doesnt like knowing the gap year that i want is temporariliy putting me down because i dont like all this GOD DAMN CHANGE AND NEED TO GROW UP. SHEESH. Let a girl be a baby for another year man!

My friends i only really get to see them on nights out which is lovely, just i dont see them during the day due to work and them getting uni ready and i dont know what they're up to just that they're probs busy with uni stuff and just generally we'r already growing apart so i know thats not a good sign for uni.

But then i realised that if i was in their shoes id probably be doing the same and growing apart due to 'changing' to become mature and stuff for uni

This friend thing all feels a bit inbetweeners . . .
Still a good idea!.
Reply 3458

Hahah, yeahh, I am so not ready to grow up :/

It does make perfect sense - I literally feel exactly the same. Well, at least there's someone else in the same boat! I think that was partly what was getting me down as well - knowing that I can't call anybody and they'll say yeah me too. But you guys!

My parents are charging me rent and stuff, So I have to stay in work, and probably will eventually have to grow up.

But I'm gonna enjoy everything I can untill that day :biggrin:

And lauren, I know what you mean about this gap year stuff getting you down. Bleugughghghghghghghghghgh.

Original post by twelve
Hahah, yeahh, I am so not ready to grow up :/

It does make perfect sense - I literally feel exactly the same. Well, at least there's someone else in the same boat! I think that was partly what was getting me down as well - knowing that I can't call anybody and they'll say yeah me too. But you guys!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending